Crazy? Meermin's for C&Js? Talk some sense into me.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by K to Wall St, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

also keep in mind that you will get hit with duties on meermin, that could be up to $60 or so

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The one on the left is fine. I'm more of a purist and have a black stitchcap and punchcap, but that adelaide would be just fine, especially because it has no heel brogueing. Not a fan of the half brogue on the right in black.

3. K to Wall St

K to Wall St Active Member

Where is that added? I went all the way to payment and received the discount for not needing to pay VAT (I'm in the US), but didn't see a charge for duties.

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

You will get a bill a few weeks after delivery from UPS or FedEx. For one pair of Linea Maestro shoes, it's been roughly $40-48 in duty and brokerage charges.

5. K to Wall St

OK. This is getting a little frustrating. Between the sizing issues (cost of sending them back), and an extra $50 on the effective price, starting to wonder of Meermin is worth it.

Anyone have any other brands of reasonable quality at this price range? I would just get some AEs on sale but I really like a much sleeker shoe than that.

6. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Cheaney and Loake are at a slightly lower price-point. If you're near a Charles Tyrwhitt you can check out Loake for yourself. However, from reading your posts, they might be too British and not as "sleek" as you prefer.

Honestly, for the first 2 pairs (black and brown) shoes, save and spend on shoes that you will like (and pobably need to wear). Every other shoe afterwards you can wait for sales.

7. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

2 questions:

What size are the C&Js that you have? And what's your budget?

You should be able to find something reasonably priced on ebay or SF B&S.

8. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Also, you should look into blake-stitched shoes. There are some great brands at decent prices (Borgioli, Santoni, etc...).

Another reasonably priced GY welt shoes is Joseph Cheaney.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013

9. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Is there any rig where a black wingtip wouldn't work, but a black captoe would? The exceptions I can think of are black tie, and maybe UCBD. Any other time one is in a business suit, I think black brogued bals are a fine choice. I'd even wear them with a navy blazer and gray flannels, if the mood struck.

10. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Quote:I'm not a big fan of balmorals without suits (I'm not alone here), so I don't think I would like the look you are describing above. As for CBD, I doubt anyone would say anything to you about black wingtips, but I also don't think it is the best choice.

11. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

If you regularly wear suits as I did in my black shoes only phase, I don't think it's a horrible shoe to add some variety. If you seldom wear suits, you might as well go with the black punch cap or stitch cap since you need a pair of these CBD shoes anyway.

I generally agree with this. I've got a pair of black balmoral half brogues from the days when I refused to buy brown shoes that I'll pair with a blazer and greys and sometimes with a suit, but it's not exactly optimal. They're in great shape and I have no intention of getting rid of them, but when they finally go, they'll be replaced with black monks for evening blazer and greys duty. Black just seems right in the evening with a blazer and greys and the punch cap / stitch cap balmoral seems a bit too formal, so I do think a black shoe that is not a punch cap or stitch cap is useful. Just that the half brogue balmoral is suboptimal.

12. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Black monks are a good idea for a night- time shoe. I don't think anything with heavy brogueing is great at night, and the cap toe is a bit business-y. I have a black plain-toe balmoral that I use in these situations.

13. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

i haven't put on a pair of black shoes in months. I don't care what it is, its better in brown.

14. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I think they're debatable with true CBD (and no bals without a suit is a way of dressing I can respect, though it's not my approach), but I was thinking in terms of plain old business dress -- the kind of environment where once could just as well wear brown shoes. I'll admit that brown shoes are generally looked at as the more elegant choice for that kind of occasion, but I like black shoes.

EDIT: archibaldleach hits it on the nose for my tastes -- if I wore black shoes often enough that I needed two pairs (and let's assume I would wear black shoes 50% of the time that I was in a rig where black shoes would work), then my second would likely have some kind of broguing. My first would be a captoe. As it stands, my only black shoes are likely to be captoes for the time being.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013

15. K to Wall St

Is there a cheaper place to buy C&J? I've seen a lot of comments on old threads about Pediwear and Bodiley's, but both sites have a big warning about how they don't really carry C&J anymore due to rising demand and C&J not wanting them to sell their shoes at a discount. Its not like you can pick them up at a Nordstrom annual sale either.