• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crazy jeans...

Librarian

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a really weird situation with my jeans. I have a few pairs that have a crease down the front and I have noticed that with every single one, the crease/line on my right leg is crooked, it goes towards the inner leg, towards the left . It drives me absolutely crazy as it ruins the look of the jeans. Is it my jeans or my body, I just don't get it. Anyone knwo anything?? thanks!

tangerine

Reaction score
Without a picture, it's hard to say exactly what is happening, or how much.

In general, though, people are not symmetrical or geometrically perfect, and very few things will fit "straight up and down" on anyone.

If you could post pics I'm sure you could get a better analysis.

Welcome, by the way.

Reaction score
Wow, that is a strange problem. I just have no idea what you are talking about. A crease from ironing jeans? Is that it? Baffling.

Please expound.

Librarian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tangerine
Without a picture, it's hard to say exactly what is happening, or how much.

In general, though, people are not symmetrical or geometrically perfect, and very few things will fit "straight up and down" on anyone.

If you could post pics I'm sure you could get a better analysis.

Welcome, by the way.

thank you!
smile.gif

I'm at work so I can't provide pics, but I can take care of that later. But just to give you an idea imagine someone wearing jeans with one line down each leg. Then the person starts walking and one line stays straight down the leg, whereas on the other leg, the line, instead of staying straight, moves alll the way to the left. So now, the crease/line that is supposed to be going straight down your leg is almost where the inner pant line is supposed to be whereas your outer right jean line has moved almost where the front crease should be. Or imagine someone taking the entire lower pant leg and twisting it towards the inner legs. I hope this helps
frown.gif

Librarian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
Wow, that is a strange problem. I just have no idea what you are talking about. A crease from ironing jeans? Is that it? Baffling.

Please expound.

I don't iron my jeans but I have a few pairs that have a straight line down the front on them. But yes, if I were to iron my jeans that would be the front crease I am talking about. Gosh, I'm confusing myself now
crazy.gif

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A kneecap turned inward or outward, maybe?

lilbucu

Reaction score
i believe you are referring to the natural twist of the leg tube due to the twists of the cotton fibers relaxing through wear. sounds like you have left hand twill? my left leg outer seams always twists to the front on my right hand twill levis.

this phenomenon, which was once thought of as a defect, is actually now considered a beautiful feature to denim heads.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lilbucu
i believe you are referring to the natural twist of the leg tube due to the twists of the cotton fibers relaxing through wear. sounds like you have left hand twill? my left leg outer seams always twists to the front on my right hand twill levis.

this phenomenon, which was once thought of as a defect, is actually now considered a beautiful feature to denim heads.

Ditto.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
both legs should hang straight. this is commonly caused by one of three things. 1.the twisted leg was not cut on the straightgrain of the denim, a cutting room mistake. 2. the denim was twisted when spread on the cutting table. 3. when the seam is sewn one side of the seam is allowed to slip, allowing the seam to twisttward the short side of the seam. this is the most common cause. are the offending jeans are all of the same make? if this does not happen with all jeans you own then it is a flaw.

cultpop 0217

I, Manface
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
both legs should hang straight. this is commonly caused by one of three things. 1.the twisted leg was not cut on the straightgrain of the denim, a cutting room mistake. 2. the denim was twisted when spread on the cutting table. 3. when the seam is sewn one side of the seam is allowed to slip, allowing the seam to twisttward the short side of the seam. this is the most common cause. are the offending jeans are all of the same make? if this does not happen with all jeans you own then it is a flaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbucu

teacha.gif

i agree with the latter.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no, the leg twist we are discussing is caused by the shrinking of non-Sanforized denim. as the denim shrinks (approx. 10% usually) it twists in the direction of the twill. modern jeans usually are made of Sanforized denim or pre-skewed to prevent this, but jeans made in the way of old levis will have this twist. it is not a flaw but a characteristic of the shrink to fit denim used mainly by the Japanese(and other reproduction companies)

mizanation

Reaction score

basically, what cheap mofo said.

unsanforized vintage repro jeans don't follow the same rules, mr. tailor. vintage reproduction brands mimick the "leg twist" that happens when denim shrinks. because of the directional weave, a right hand twill will pull to the right, bringing the outer seam on the left leg towards the center. this is done on purpose to reproduce the look of vintage jeans. now, on unsanforized jeans like the present-day STF, this is corrected so leg twist will not happen.

i think the person who started thread is talking about something else. maybe the way he folds his jeans is creating a crease?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads