1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Crazy for Julian Boots!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by michaeltriolo, Jan 31, 2014.

1. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

[​IMG]

I went Vibram. Proper stompin' boots.

2. ShootThePier

ShootThePier Senior member

And, that is why I went with the leather sole, I wanted sole appropriate dress boots.
    Like you said, after opening the box, much of the existing footwear becomes redundant.
    How's your fit?

3. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Yeah these are pretty versitile for dress or casual. Almost perfectly ride that line. I find the contours to be decidedly casual (mostly the bulbous toe box, which I love), though the make/material to be quite dress appropriate. I could see dressing them up for sure. I'm not much for suits myself, except for swanky weekend shenanigans. Wonder how they'd pair with a suit. Do furnish photos if/when you find out!

The fit? What can I say. They give my feet the perfect amount of room in the right places and, after a day of walking around in them, I've got nothing but good things to say of the comfort. They are not, of course, without need of breaking in. However break-in for these seems more a matter of getting the soles more flexible and having the uppers wrap to my feet/ankles in more of a contoured manner. The comfort has started in the perfect spot for this and I do not anticipate any blisters.

As for cons, I'm not going to be so starstruck that I can't provide constructive feedback. They are a bit heavy. Not so heavy as my Trickers Stowes with dainite soles. But enough to be aware of. Given the construction, that was to be expected. Also, the finishing is far from perfect. There were some threads not clipped neatly, bits of factory adhesive in random spots, a fastening imperfection (a little raised edge) in the stacking of the top layer of the outsole to the rest, a (not serious) ding or two - and it was clear that the upper's pieces were hand cut with a scalpel and not cut with a beam press, as I could see areas where the cutter's hand did not keep the scalpel at a 45 degree angle for a perfectly flat edge.

HOWEVER - As I thought about these "imperfections" and how they could exist in a $1,600 pair of boots, I came to love the wabi-sabi of it all. The stitching is bang on and really there were no flaws in the durability. These are some tough boots that will last many, many years. Most of these small issues will resolve themselves with regular wear. But the pleasure of having such high quality boots that are really, TRULY hand made. Unbelievable.

4. ShootThePier

Nice write-up. I looked only at the product as a whole. I will look in some of the areas you mentioned. It is an interesting exercise.
    I'm used to wearing work boots, so mine were actually lighter than what I'm used to. I credited the leather sole for the weight, as the thickness in the shell cordovan seems very consistent, and substantial.

5. Varnu

Varnu Member

Congrats! They look great. Post some more pictures after they start to roll up...

6. ShootThePier

Oops

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  7. ShootThePier

Wife's B-Day dinner.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. ShootThePier

An opportunity presented itself, that I just could not let pass me by.
    Julian Boots WatchMaker
    Natural shell cordovan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. od1017

od1017 Senior member

Amazing. Where did you get these from?

10. ShootThePier

[​IMG]

Black Socks & Natural Shell

11. Lithium Br8kfst

Lithium Br8kfst Senior member

I too share an appreciation for Julian's work. I hate to see these go but just listed for sale a custom one-off pair out of shell cordovan I had made a few years. If anyone is interested check them out here

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016