Crazy for Julian Boots!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by michaeltriolo, Jan 31, 2014.

1. EastWestApparel

EastWestApparel Senior member

Lobe what I've seen recently from Julian. Does anyone know how the engineers (or others) fit size-wise and comfort in comparison to the obvious other contenders (White's, Viberg etc...). Thanks.

2. Emixam

Emixam Senior member

jut got the the field boots, very nice ! Much much nicer than the Viberg boondockers (shape and comfort wise).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Kissmyanthia

Kissmyanthia Senior member

Hey, those are sweet boots! How is the sizing compared to either Whites, Wolverine 1000 Mile, Frye...etc?

4. Emixam

Emixam Senior member

I have no experience with these brands, but they fit TTS

5. minthe

minthe Well-Known Member

Hi!

I have just come across Julian's site and I am smitten. Those are some incredibly good-looking boots right there. So, what are your experiences? Is it difficult to get in touch with them, have your shoe dream fulfilled? Are the wait times still only up to 2 months? Are horsehide/cordovan boots an option? What price range are we looking at for one of those? Those boots, are they typically MTO or bespoke? So many questions! Gosh, I hope they are willing to make a boot in my size!

EDIT: heard from them already. Not cheap. From the shell leathers only black Cordovan available currently, but I have this feeling it will be very worth the wait...

Last edited: May 19, 2015

6. michaeltriolo

michaeltriolo Member

[@]exiam.....where did you get those julian boondocks from? I k have been looking for them for a while and the Are all out of that tobacco suede to make any more.

7. michaeltriolo

michaeltriolo Member

@exiamwhere did you get those boondocks from? I've bee. Looking for a while for them but they are all put of that tobacco suede

8. Boot1973

Boot1973 New Member

When I first encountered Julian Boots´s website, the awesome designs called my attention immediately. After collecting boots for many years I find quite difficult to achieve a good shape in boot making. Julian boots are in this respect unique. Like fine furniture or a classic car. Julian Imrie has a rare ability to give form to his masterpieces. The Horween leather and materials of course premium quality. All boots are hand crafted with Good Year Welt, real leather soles for durability and foam fillings all great for extra comfort. A customer service you won´t find anywhere else. That´s why I can say without hesitation Julian Boots are the best in the world. Look forward to my 7th pair. All the best. JCF
    [​IMG]

9. chogall

chogall Senior member

Streetwear people are even more crazy than Menswear guys. Paying huge premium for branded machine made shoes.. Julian boots is as handmade as your Allen Edmonds.

10. Boot1973

Boot1973 New Member

Allen who?. I don´t see how you can compare budget shoes with this. Machine or handmade Julian´s shape and comfortability have no equal.. American brands usually look like Northhampton wannabes. Still they don´t have it right though... Machines are only instruments of expression

[​IMG]

11. yanagi

yanagi Senior member

Based on what you said,

you can compare Allen Edmonds with Julian Boots. AEs are goodyear welted with cork fillings, have leather sole options, and are well regarded for their customer service. No machine-made shoe or boot is "handcrafted." So the objective difference is that AEs appear to be half the price or less.

12. Boot1973

Boot1973 New Member

Once again guys.. most important in my opinion is Julian´s shape. Good year welts and other stuff are standards for a decent boot. What is not standard or easy to find are his shapes and the multitude of models. They are museum pieces but everyone´s entitled to their own opinion. I would like to try someday Allen Edmonds.... only when I find something that appeals...

Attached Julian´s Monkey boots

[​IMG]

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

So, apparently, this is not true. There is a video on youtube (I think) of a worker doing goodyear welt by hand. Why, you might ask. I have no idea, but it was being done.

14. yanagi

yanagi Senior member

If you had a video like this in mind, I think part of the problem is that handwelting in some languages translates back to English as "goodyear by hand." Goodyear welting requires a goodyear machine.

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

This video, actually:

[​IMG]

I'm not a shoemaker, but I have seen goodyear welt machines at work, as well as handwelting, and it definitely seems like this guy is simulating goodyear wetting, by hand.

It's not an insane concept. There are a number of Japanese companies that seek to "Put the human into an industrial process". Hender Scheme, for example, makes pretty faithful copies of iconic sneakers like the Air Force 1 and Nike Presto, but using natural leather and traditional shoemaking techniques. Or maybe it's a little crazy, but also super cool.