• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CRAZY 1950's Custom Made Budapester Bluchers- Ultra-Rare Skin REVEALED!

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5/13/11 EDIT: Ultra Rare Exotic skin revealed!

First, MANY THANKS to EVERYONE who posted ANYTHING on this thread. Love 'em or hate 'em, that's your right to do so. Great country we live in, huh?

I have to note that I was a bit disturbed by the few "testicle skin" guesses, but some of the "mythical beasts" guesses were downright hilarious.

Anyway, they are actually made from HORNED BACK LIZARD skin. More specifically, the Caiman Lizard (Dracaena guianensis).

P1080023.jpg

GREAT CALL, bengal-stripe! I'm not surprised you figured it out, though, you have a keen eye for the exotics it seems.

Hornback Lizard is now on the endangered species list (these are from the 1950's, way before it's addition to the list, by the way), so no more of these beauties.

The caiman lizard is quite large, averaging between 2 and 4 feet in length. Weight is normally between 3 and 6 pounds.

These are NOT hornback gator, hornback cayman, or hornback croc- which are much less desirable substitutes. Lucchese has a ton of boots made from those other "hornback" species now. They are tough looking, but TOTALLY lack the depth of the patterns you see in the scales. Each scale of the hornback lizard looks like a cat's eye, where the other species' scales are a flat color.

Seems that the cowboy boot fans REALLY miss this baby. Vintage cowboy boot fans lament the fact they can't get hornback lizard now, and pay CRAZY prices for vintage ones.

Here's an article I found on an Endangered Species Website:

"In 1995, skins and boots of this species worth $1 million wholesale were confiscated from the Tony Lama Boot Company of El Paso, Texas, by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Among the seizures were 907 pairs of Caiman Lizard cowboy boots and 2,554 pairs of boot vamps. A 15-count felony indictment for smuggling and violations of the Lacey Act was issued by a Grand Jury against two people who sold the skins to Tony Lama, using fraudulent export permits obtained in Mexico. The Lacey Act prohibits importation-- without permits--of species protected in their country of origin. This lizard is native to the Amazon Basin, and its lustrous skins are highly prized for boots, which can retail from $700 to $1,000 per pair. Four lizards are used to make one pair of boots. More than 13,800 Caiman Lizards were killed and sold to the Tony Lama Boot Company for the manufacture of the boots and skins seized. The indictment was the result of an undercover investigation by the Fish and Wildlife Service, begun in 1993."

Anyway, this was fun. Take Care!

ORIGINAL POST

I just got these the other day. At first glance, I had thought they were just a nice crocodile skin. After a second look, I was sure I wasn't looking at crocodile, but some other, much more beautiful reptile. I've seen quite a few reptile skin shoes, but these blew me away. Each individual scale looks like a cat's eye staring at you.

Anyone care to venture a guess as to the "mystery skin"? All I'll tell you is that you won't find any shoes made of these over the last couple of decades... legally, that is.

By the way, I KNOW my tastes are way "over-the-top" compared to most on this site. I'm just not a Lobb, EG, etc kind of guy. Most will find my shoes ugly, etc. I figure that these posts are good to introduce some other tastes and styles, if for nothing else.
Love 'em or hate 'em, I GUARANTEE that you'll remember these (IE: the gunboat Sea Turtles).

Please take a moment to comment, good or bad!

ENJOY!

KGrHqIOKkQE23BHL1lBNyPdCBQ0_3.jpg

KGrHqRjgE2vLDWjrOBNyP5wsSQ0_3.jpg

KGrHqUOKpQE24C4w5DEBNyPCZE86g0_3.jpg

KGrHqQOKpEE25vTwFQ0BNyPBwZ8fQ0_3.jpg

KGrHqIOKo0E3Ekfm-BNyPBOn8jw0_3.jpg

KGrHqRlQE3HG8SH4BNyPBgOsMw0_3.jpg

KGrHqYOKpsE25E0TYUuBNyPB4VOg0_3.jpg

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think thats human skin

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
i think thats human skin

If your skin starts looking like that, see a dermatologist IMMEDIATELY!

Originally Posted by ctp120
Looks like sea-turtle.

Nope.

Originally Posted by edmorel
Dinosaur?

laugh.gif

Aldehyde

Reaction score
They look very well made and I don't think are any more flamboyant than alligator shoes.

Looks like some kind of reptile skin....Gharial?

Gharial2.jpg

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by isshinryu101
If your skin starts looking like that, see a dermatologist IMMEDIATELY!

idk looks like my ball sack

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I remember having scabs as a kid that were prettier than those.

There were also scabs that had kids that were prettier than you, my old friend.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's rhino hide:

3604826469_215bb27498.jpg

and I assume that those are the cartridge ends in the heels.

inlandisland

Reaction score
Dragon?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads