• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crate vs. Farinelli: The Official Jeans Thread

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mazda
In my experience APC is more like 3 to 4. Like I said, I wear a tagged 32 in "normal" jeans and pants. I am more like a "REAL" 34 waist. the jeans I am wearing at this instant are a 32 but measure 17.5 (thats a 35 for the math majors) BiG style measured and are slightly too large. I wear a TAGGED 29-30 APC.
No, out of the box, APC jeans measure 2" larger in the waist than tagged. The additional 1-3" is stretch, which APCs are notorious for. My earlier statements refer only to "stock measurements," as you put it, not post-stretch measurements.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont understand.... i looked at the website and it says a size 30 CVSF measures 16" across.... doesnt mean its a 32 waist?

sorry if im being stupid.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spacemanvt
i dont understand.... i looked at the website and it says a size 30 CVSF measures 16" across.... doesnt mean its a 32 waist?.
It means the waistband of the jeans measures 32", not the waist of the wearer, which would need to be smaller in order to fit into said jeans.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
No, out of the box, APC jeans measure 2" larger in the waist than tagged. The additional 1-3" is stretch, which APCs are notorious for. Both statements refer only to "stock measurements," as you put it.

It's semantics at this point but I still disagree.

Calling it APC style is still not correct (and irresponsible considering that you are responsible for misinforming noobs) considering the known stretch factor which no other jean anyone gives a **** about has yet to match.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Calling it APC style is still not correct (and irresponsible considering that you are responsible for misinforming noobs) considering the known stretch factor which no other jean anyone gives a **** about has yet to match.
Agreed. I never called it "APC style." I was disagreeing with only a part of your post (which I have bolded below):
It's in no way APC sizing. Neither by stock measurement or by stretching.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont understand.... i looked at the website and it says a size 30 CVSF measures 16" across.... doesnt mean its a 32 waist?

sorry if im being stupid.

Jesus. Whodini are someone with a similar flair for linguistics needs to write a fitment FAQ.

Go put on a pair of jeans that fit WELL. Lay them out with the front and back waist aligned. That measurement ( a bit smaller to account for stretch) is what you should shoot for.

JSTF

Reaction score
That measurement ( a bit smaller to account for stretch) is what you should shoot for.

x2

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
It means the waistband of the jeans measures 32", not the waist of the wearer, which would need to be smaller in order to fit into said jeans.

incorrect, if a jean's waist is 32" around, it will ideally fit someone with a 33" waist....the wearer's waist should be bigger than the jean otherwise it will fit loose. The jean waist needs to hug the wearer's actual waist, and it gets tricky because if you have a flabby gut, you can get away with even more discrepancy between jean waist and your own.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok let me reclairfy if i wear 32 in most denim, am i ok with 32 in CVSF?

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
incorrect, if a jean's waist is 32" around, it will ideally fit someone with a 33" waist....the wearer's waist should be bigger than the jean otherwise it will fit loose.
This makes no sense, both theoretically and empirically. Theoretically: If you have a object with a 33" circumference and a strip of fabric 32" long (that is not made of a stretch material), the fabric will not be enough to wrap around the object. Therefore, how does a 32" waistband fit a 33" waist? In my own experience: I have a 30" waist, and all the jeans and pants that fit me well have a waistband of around 31" (15.5" across). A 30" waistband would be skin-tight/suffocating (since there would be no slack), and a 29" waistband would not fit, period.

reprehensible

Reaction score
This makes no sense, both theoretically and empirically.

Theoretically: If you have a object with a 33" circumference and a strip of fabric 32" long (that is not made of a stretch material), the fabric will not be enough to wrap around the object. Therefore, how does a 32" waistband fit a 33" waist?

In my own experience: I have a 30" waist, and all the jeans and pants that fit me well have a waistband of around 31" (15.5" across).

Flesh is not solid. For pants to have normal snugness, they have to be compressing your waist to some degree, which means being smaller in circumference than the part of your body they're sitting at.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go hammer nails into *******.

See ya guys!

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reprehensible
Flesh is not solid. For pants to have normal snugness, they have to be compressing your waist to some degree, which means being smaller in circumference than the part of your body they're sitting at.
I can't speak for everyone else, but I am fairly solid and my waist does not "compress." If I pull a tape measure around my waist as tight as I can, it reads 30". Pants with a waistband shorter than this (the length of the tape measure) will not fit.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok let me reclairfy if i wear 32 in most denim, am i ok with 32 in CVSF?

that's what i've gathered. i'm 32 in nudie and spurr (31 in prewashed ****) and mauro says 32 is what i need for this. he hasn't been wrong on any sizing advice for me yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads