• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crate Denim

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
People here on the forums have done it, I believe. There was a picture on mynudies.com of someone who'd done that to one of his pairs, and it looked fine--I can't find it at the moment, but someone may have it around.

For my part, I don't mind the pocket stitching, but if I wanted a pair to "dress up", I'd probably do it. If I pull the trigger on a pair of Svens and take the seam-ripper to them, I'll post pics.

nomovement

Reaction score
I'm gonna do it too and when people ask me what kind of jeans they are-I'm gonna tell them that they're tuffskins (sears circa 1989)

anyway, back to crate-what about the buttons popping off?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I finally went ahead and bought a new pair of jeans. I decided on the Crate James IV in Black (instead of dry black Slim Jim or RB6). Anyway I ought to get it by the weekend and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Worried about sizing though. I measured myself as a 32" though I always wear 30" (though my diesels are a 29"). I was tempted to order a 32" pair but I flinched and went with a 31", hopefully it wont be too tight.

PS - the "meager" price after the 20% coupon made me feel much better about tapping into my savings

nomovement

Reaction score
where'd you order form? activeendeavors?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Really nice guys from Eagle Rock apparently.

Crate is from Eagle Rock, CA? as in the city right next to Glendale? cool.

All those pics of Crates look pretty good.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nomovement
where'd you order form? activeendeavors?

Yeah, activeendeavours. I actually called them yesterday with questions about fit and stuff b/w the RB6 and the Crate. They said the RB are better quality (reflected in the price), crates are nice as well though. And the Crates are on the skinny side. I figured for just over $100 I can take the risk with the James IV

nomovement

Reaction score
there's a shop here in chi that carries crate. they are really really thin; but for $100 I still think they're cool.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nomovement
there's a shop here in chi that carries crate. they are really really thin; but for $100 I still think they're cool.

Yes, they are really thin. And the lack of any substantial hardware doesn't make them any more durable. But for the money and the cut, they are pretty good. Just don't think to be putting them through the same kind of wear that APCs can endure.

Eagle Rock is right beside Pasadena. Not much there, really, except for a bowling/karaoke place that I used to go to once in a while.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Eagle Rock is right beside Pasadena. Not much there, really, except for a bowling/karaoke place that I used to go to once in a while.

Don't forget Casa Bianca, the best pizza place in L.A., or Senor Fish for great fish tacos. I think Mr. T's Bowl might be gone now (is that the place?)

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Don't forget Casa Bianca, the best pizza place in L.A., or Senor Fish for great fish tacos. I think Mr. T's Bowl might be gone now (is that the place?)
It's funny you mention that. When the guy from Crate wrote back asking for my address, that's when I found out that they were based out of Eagle Rock. I mentioned how I could go for a slice from Casa Bianca and he wrote back saying that they all go there way too often. Let's not forget Cafe Beaujolais or Swork's if we're talking about cool places in the hood.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hmmm... nice. Although I always thought that Senor Fish was in Pasadena proper. Just down Orange Grove, right? Or am I remembering incorrectly...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

I think LAG was referring to All Star Lanes in eagle rock...we used to go there all the time for Rockabilly shows. They were going to close it down but the owner saved it and it's still there but not really doing shows anymore.

Mr Ts bowl is in Highland Park....was just there couple weekends ago for a show.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads