• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crate Denim

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by progressiveminded
Are there any examples of significantly worn Crates out there?
There are a few photos on Superfuture but to be honest they wouldn't be fair representations. The denim used for the jeans in those photos is now only used for the Sally model; it was fairly lightweight (11oz) and not selvage but had a contrast similar to APC. I'm three months into a pair of Journals and will post photos here once they've broken in more. No plans to wash them, however.

progressiveminded

Reaction score
Who, how about some preliminary observations, with the caveat that you've only had them for three months? Any repairs so far, any anticipation that you will need to repair soon, how colorfast is the indigo?

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i had thought that the crate denim varied. as they were finding deadstock american denim around. did they settle on a standard denim?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Zero repairs and I simply don't forsee any in the near future. In comparison, the back pocket of my 5EP's were already showing a hole beginning to develop on my rear backpocket at three months. This is simply for comparison sake and I'm not saying that one denim is stronger than the other.

Colorfastness is debateable. After a few weeks I could already see creasemarks being much lighter than the rest of the jeans; with 5EP this didn't happen until make later in the game, perhaps closer to the 6m mark. However, overall the jeans are still quite blue as the 5EPs were around the point. In the light I can see lap fades.

I realize this seems somewhat strange but I find it similar to how my SSDS faded. The difference is that as my Crates are still far more rigid now at 3m than the SSDS were at their beginning so I'd expect fades from creasing to be much more dramatic down the line. So far I think I'm being proved correct.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
i had thought that the crate denim varied. as they were finding deadstock american denim around. did they settle on a standard denim?
The "standard" is Cone. Chad can correct me later if I'm wrong but I believe the part about going around to several different places for deadstock denim is that they were trying to find old leftover Cone.

DocHunter

Reaction score
I'm going to pick up some Crate tomorrow at the Secret Service sale just 'cause it's so cheap.

How do these size? I'm about a 32.5" true waist. What tagged size should I get?

What are main differences in the Journal and the Route? The Route looks a little slimmer than the Journal and the Journal looks like the front rise is scary low. Is that accurate?

DocHunter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHunter
I'm going to pick up some Crate tomorrow at the Secret Service sale just 'cause it's so cheap.

How do these size? I'm about a 32.5" true waist. What tagged size should I get?

What are main differences in the Journal and the Route? The Route looks a little slimmer than the Journal and the Journal looks like the front rise is scary low. Is that accurate?

Actually, after doing a little research I really like the looks of the James IV model. Dress codes has them in the 31 which is too small for me I think, even with stretching. Can anyone tell me where I might be able to procure the appropriate size James IV for around a 32" waist?

fuego!

Reaction score
I bought a pair a while ago sizing down slightly and found I couldn't even button them up. I would buy true to size.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ James IV is from last season and made of non selvedge denim. Unlike the Hamis / Journals / Routes / Sally / Squire.

Also, true to size in everything except the Journals. Size up (yes, up) 1 or 2 for those.

thorough

Reaction score
i just remembered i have a pair of james IV is this really streaky light weigh denim and they fit pretty true to size. i wish they fit me still cause the denim is really interesting.
hpim1020uq9.jpg

DocHunter

Reaction score
What are the fading properties like for non-selvage denim like these? Will they fade in the same manner as selvage without washing them?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Same thing. Exact same thing. They're just jeans.
i love who's patience in answering these questions, i would have blown someone's head off already
laugh.gif

wikiwiz

Reaction score
I am trying to get Crate Routes size 31. Sent an email to Secret Service but never got a response. Where else?

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads