• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crate Denim

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by riraito
I just got my crates a week ago from shopdetour.

I got a pair of the Routes. I thought they were supposed to be the slim fit jeans, but they look quite roomy on me. The rise is pretty high as well.. wish I was taller.. The denim itself is quite nice. I like the slubby style.

I might post pics later

you should have sized down. I sized down to a 28 when my normal waist is more like 30 31.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ how can you do that?? do you tuck?? it amazes me how you guys can size down like that.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know. I probably couldn't have done this with another fabric though. The weave of the denim is super slubby and giving. Sizing down is alright as long as you can button up the top button.

Klemins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah... I went true to size on my grey Journals and can't imagine trying to squeeze into a smaller waist size. Granted, these were for Japan, but the waist is still the same

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ The Journals are ultra-low-rise, though, so you have to size the waist differently than with the other cuts.

I'm with tigerFormula, my true waist is somewhere between 30-31" and I was able to button up a size 29 Route with no problem at all; the denim on them feels fairly stretchy for some reason, even though it's supposedly 100% cotton. They're pretty loose in the thighs too... I think I could've easily fit a 28. Anyway, if someone wants 'em (Crate Route in 29, waist measures 15" across), PM me.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerFormula
you should have sized down. I sized down to a 28 when my normal waist is more like 30 31.

This doesn't jive with most peoples accounts of Crate Route so far. There were a few people saying that Routes in their normal size were tight. I can't imagine sizing down 2 if that's the case.

I am well aware of the stretch and I always go tight especially on lower rise jeans but I can't see sizing down two when people with 32 waists are saying they can barely button the 32.

To be fair, they could be wearing 32 in a low rise and have a gut and not be used to jeans with a mid rise.

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a size 33 and went with a 33 in the Routes and they fit perfect. Sizing down doesn't make sense to me.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so if i were to buy some Routes where would i find a size 38?

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mazda
This doesn't jive with most peoples accounts of Crate Route so far. There were a few people saying that Routes in their normal size were tight. I can't imagine sizing down 2 if that's the case.

I am well aware of the stretch and I always go tight especially on lower rise jeans but I can't see sizing down two when people with 32 waists are saying they can barely button the 32.

To be fair, they could be wearing 32 in a low rise and have a gut and not be used to jeans with a mid rise.

I tried on two different 28s when i visited the store each time. Routes are definitely not low rise either.

davo10375

Reaction score
Mauro you don't have the raw indigo journals do you? Thinking they might be the best cut for me... looking for something like the Grim Tim but with a roomier top block.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
I can't imagine sizing down two on the Route, unless there are sizing differences between pairs/batches. Without trying to offend anyone, my guess is that you guys aren't measuring your natural waist correctly. The natural waist is the slimmest part of your upper body and not where your jeans may or may not usually sit. I sized up 0.5" (natural waist 33.5") on my Routes and it was really tight when I got it. After shrinkage and stretch from wearing, they're slightly loose right now and sit about an inch or two below my natural waist. I could've definitely sized down 0.5" to 33", but I'm not sure I would've been able to button them without stretching first.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerFormula
I tried on two different 28s when i visited the store each time. Routes are definitely not low rise either.
I know routes are not low rise, thus my comment. People who think they wear a 32 because they often wear low rise, may find a higher rise jean like the route in 32 to not fit since they wear a larger size in a higher rise jean.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by obiter dictum
Without trying to offend anyone, my guess is that you guys aren't measuring your natural waist correctly. The natural waist is the slimmest part of your upper body and not where your jeans may or may not usually sit.
You are correct; I am not measuring the slimmest part of my upper body. This point would be 2" above my belly button, and far higher than I wear (or am even capable of wearing) any of my jeans (which sit at least 2" below my belly button). As such, I don't understand what bearing that measurement has on what size I should be wearing, considering everyone has a different body shape, and my waist where my jeans actually sit may be much larger—or not at all, as the case may be. For example, what if I and another person both measure 30" at the point where we wear our jeans, but I have more of an hourglass shape and thus have a slimmer "natural" waist than him; should I be wearing a smaller size because of this? It doesn't make any sense to me, logically.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
It doesn't make any sense to me, logically.
Logic, in clothing?
lol8[1].gif

cristeza

Reaction score
My Crate Routes size 29 from SS. I usually wear a 30 in TTS jeans. My natural waist is about 30.5" - 31". So I sized down one to a 29. I have somewhat muscular/skinny thighs. I would suggest sizing down one with these if you are the same. The top button buttoned with very little resistance. Loose by no means. The quality and weight of this jean is the real sell. I will be wearing these through summer. So freaking comfortable. Ignore the shoes.

2055746090104041015S600x600Q85.jpg

2766912840104041015S600x600Q85.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads