• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crate and Barrel vs. Ikea

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first Crate and Barrel just opened in Toronto. The last time I was in one in the states was long before I ever cared or knew anything about furniture. I'm wondering how their stuff compares to Ikea. Is it all flatpack stuff or something else? What is there market?

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Someone posted the philosophy earlier of either buy very expensive or buy the cheapest possible. I think this holds true here, I bought skillets from IKEA for $1 a piece they have lasted over 4 years. That's a hell of a buy and I think you can buy little pieces of **** that will probably surprise you as to how much use you get out of them.

turboman808

Reaction score
I only buy get expensive furniture at huge discounts(craigslist!). Can't imagine buying cheap furniture just to fill a spot.

Then if I turn around and sell anything I bought I get all my money back or more.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Forgiveness if this sounds marsupialed... is there any relationship between crate jeans and crate and barrel?
I saw the C&B in Yorkdale mall and without going in and not knowing what the store's all about, I had figured they were a clothing store, and that their jeans were just called crate by some...
I assume I was mistaken?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Forgiveness if this sounds marsupialed... is there any relationship between crate jeans and crate and barrel?
No. I generally prefer glassware and silverware from C&B (and some of the kitchen appliances you just can't buy from Ikea). But for many things Ikea, including some furniture, Ikea just can't be beat.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
I only buy get expensive furniture at huge discounts(craigslist!). Can't imagine buying cheap furniture just to fill a spot.

Then if I turn around and sell anything I bought I get all my money back or more.

The great thing about this is that you don't have to worry if you spill something on the couch, since you know it's already been urinated on.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
lot of crate andbarrel stuff is overpriced but still miles better in quality than ikea. crate andbarrel also has very good customer service from where i am at. ikea just sucks.

What he said, except Ikea is my second choice for kitcheny-type things. That is, if my local restaurant supply doesn't have them. Also, Crate & Barrel is too far for me to drive, while Ikea isn't terribly far from the office.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think C&B has more interesting design than Ikea--and better durability--and offers pretty good value on a wide variety of items. We have some odds and ends from there, like lamps, every day dishes and serving pieces, etc.

They have two levels of quality in most stores, the first floor, which is more like flat pack, and the second, which is more substantial and better made goods. It's not really high-end, but it doesn't cost what high-end furniture costs.

CB2, their cheaper spin-off, is closer to IKEA.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen the furniture in person, but CB2 (young/hip C&B, basically) always has some nice stuff in their catalogue. C&B can be stodgy, but their smaller items (glasses, dishes, etc.) are nice.

Ikea is hit or miss. I've got a wonderful drafting table from them that's made up of two pine sawhorses and a top - the materials are an improvement on a lot of their furniture that comes with a veneer. For the most part if I'm going to have plywood (or worse, in some cases), I'd rather DIY it.

In this category, the absolute worst price/quality ratio is West Elm. Everything they've got that's supposed to be wood has the worst veneers for way too much cash.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
What he said, except Ikea is my second choice for kitcheny-type things. That is, if my local restaurant supply doesn't have them. Also, Crate & Barrel is too far for me to drive, while Ikea isn't terribly far from the office.

ikea is always good for the fill-in piece or small kitchen or bath piece. yes.

something like buying a desk or a wall unit piece at IKEA is not worth it,
the wood is all warped in a slight way that when you assemble the whole darn thing, the last pieces dont align. you cant get that last screw in because the alignment is all shot from the warpedness of the wood.
then you have to lug the whole thing back again to IKEA and they give you hell for trying to exchange or return the dam thing.

better to just get the simple can opener, or side table, or reading lamp , etc from IKEA that you dont care less about the quality just something that will do its job for the moment.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C&B is miles above Ikea (what isn't?) in terms of quality. Design is another story and a question of taste.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone have a website?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
The first Crate and Barrel just opened in Toronto. The last time I was in one in the states was long before I ever cared or knew anything about furniture. I'm wondering how their stuff compares to Ikea. Is it all flatpack stuff or something else? What is there market?

I just bought a bed frame from IKEA and am thinking of returning it. Cheaper is usually more expensive in the long run.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads