1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Crash Diet -> Healthy Diet

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by AR_Six, Mar 14, 2010.

1. why

why Senior member

I don't know why you think you'll gain 30lbs. of fat by eating normally for two weeks.

2. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^ime, and that's all i am referencing, it has been good to ease in with a one week period of working toward a deficit, followed by a crash like RFL, then something easier to maintain like bodyopus or ud 2.0 "” which has become basically my full time diet. you will make it too easy to gain weight back eating "normally". My plan to make things permanently bearable is carb cycling of near no carbs on my 1 inactive days, very low on cardio days and moderate to heavier carbs on days i am training hard.

3. APK

APK Senior member

There's gotta be some middle ground between what Why and Kunk are saying, JD. You've admitted you don't know much about nutrition. Regardless of what we consider the definition of such a broad term such as "nutrition" to be, let's agree that this probably at least means you were eating too much junk before.

Sounds like you don't have any desire to look like a cover model, so it might not be vital to micromanage your carbs and such. If you're considered about putting fat back on, do what I suggested before and calculate what your maintenance level is. Depending on how many calories you're taking in right now and what your maintenance is, you may want to ease back up to the latter over the course of a week or two.

You're making this more difficult than it needs to be, especially since you sound like you just want to be a somewhat slender guy. Judging by your posts before, it sounds like you spent about a year cooped up in a library, getting little physical activity, and probably eating junk food and/or excess calories considering your inactivity. If you're being active right now and eating cleaner, there shouldn't be this impending sense of doom that you'll become a fatass by eating at maintenance. You might put on some pounds, but that doesn't mean you're putting on FAT. That's why you shouldn't live and die based on what the scale alone says.

4. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

You all need to stop using the word "normal". "Normal" in the states is a diet of gluttony. Why's "normal" is maintenance, JD's "normal" is above maintenance and involves weight gain, kunk's "normal" involves carbs and intolerance.

5. whacked

whacked Senior member

You all need to stop using the word "normal". "Normal" in the states is a diet of gluttony. Why's "normal" is maintenance, JD's "normal" is above maintenance and involves weight gain, kunk's "normal" involves carbs and intolerance.

There's more to it than just counting calories. A "normal" diet also implies something different than an aversion to carbs and an meticulous obsession with "healthy foods", much of which describes JD May's current diet/state of mind.

6. DeadDJ

DeadDJ Senior member

Say your birthday comes around and you drink a 12-pack and ate a big steak, so your body stores it. You realize you ate too much yesterday, so you exercise and skip breakfast and lunch, and the body returns to its 'normal' level, so you eat normally again. That's a much easier way to live than worrying about tiny details all the time.
    So wait, this both works and is a good idea??

7. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

I don't know why you think you'll gain 30lbs. of fat by eating normally for two weeks.
    I'm worried about gaining back a bunch of fat, even if it's not 30lbs, if it's even half that that's no good. I tried eating normally for 5 days earlier this month and jumped up 7lbs, got back on the crash diet and got rid of it again... I would like a better plan. Not that those 7lbs were necessarily all fat (probably partly water), I have no idea how much of it was but I sure don't think it was 7lbs of muscle.
    You're making this more difficult than it needs to be, especially since you sound like you just want to be a somewhat slender guy. Judging by your posts before, it sounds like you spent about a year cooped up in a library, getting little physical activity, and probably eating junk food and/or excess calories considering your inactivity. If you're being active right now and eating cleaner, there shouldn't be this impending sense of doom that you'll become a fatass by eating at maintenance. You might put on some pounds, but that doesn't mean you're putting on FAT. That's why you shouldn't live and die based on what the scale alone says.
    Yeah this about sums it up perfectly. I am gathering that the best option is to gradually work up to maintenance, keep working out at a high level and do as much weight training as I can manage without overworking myself in order to make sure that as little as possible of the weight I'll gain back is fat. As for being obsessive about it Whacked, I'm obsessive about pretty much everything. As a character trait it has its benefits and drawbacks.

8. APK

APK Senior member

Stop getting on the scale so often. Go buy a tape measure and keep weekly tabs on key areas such as your true waist, love handles, etc. That's your best for making sure whether you're putting fat back on or not. Losing your mind over a few pounds up or down is stupid because anyone's weight can fluctuate a few pounds over the course of a day.

9. why

why Senior member

I'm worried about gaining back a bunch of fat, even if it's not 30lbs, if it's even half that that's no good. I tried eating normally for 5 days earlier this month and jumped up 7lbs, got back on the crash diet and got rid of it again... I would like a better plan. Not that those 7lbs were necessarily all fat (probably partly water), I have no idea how much of it was but I sure don't think it was 7lbs of muscle.

Most of it was probably water (at least 5lbs. or so likely given your stature) and the rest is traces of accumulated food in the digestive track (ever eat corn and have it appear in excrement two days later?).

10. whacked

whacked Senior member

I'm worried about gaining back a bunch of fat, even if it's not 30lbs, if it's even half that that's no good. I tried eating normally for 5 days earlier this month and jumped up 7lbs, got back on the crash diet and got rid of it again...

Actually I'm sure most of it is water. It'd take some serious binge drinking to exceed your maintainance intake (which is at a slightly depressed level after the body had adjusted to your previous diet) by 3,500 calories (approx. 1lb of bodyweight) times 7 divided by 5 = 4,900 calories. Each day. [​IMG]

11. otter

otter Senior member

Gradual or not, it doesn't matter much. The body acclimates itself fairly quickly. I'm not saying go out and eat 6000kcal today and then reduce calories massively again for a few weeks tomorrow (there are a lot of issues with that beyond the obvious ones), but in terms of BMR and hormones and such the body doesn't really work as diurnally as people are wont to believe. Daily journals are a tidy way of tracking calorie and exercise amounts, but the body doesn't see the the same clean slate each morning as minds might.

A lot of cyclical ketogenic diets like Bodyopus or Lyle's UD2.0 use a big carbohydrate 'refeed', but I think it's unnecessary for most people. Die-hard bodybuilder types seem to start enjoying the diet more than the food, which is an oddity I can understand but still spurn, especially given the gustatory garbage that comprises the diets. Besides, if a person doesn't feel that same level of excitement from the diet (something like a metabolic rollercoaster, spine tingling at the ketogenic crest of the hill) the diet becomes incredibly restrictive for no real added benefit. And in many cases, it becomes detrimental to training or general life.

I won't get into all the details, but essentially the body stores energy. Always. This is why meal timing doesn't matter much and why people can skip lunch or go for a walk without requiring an IV drip of glucose to keep themselves alive along the way. Some diets play with the mechanisms of storage (ketogenic diets, for instance, use carbohydrate 'refeeds' because carbohydrates are rarely stored as fat when carbohydrate levels are depleted in the body). But the body doesn't work in the same zero sum model that a lot of these diets invoke; that is, again using the ketogenic example, a person can deplete carbohydrate stores just by lowering carbohydrates or they can rapidly deplete carbohydrates by eliminating them entirely; the effect is roughly the same, but the timing differs.

Extrapolating this beyond ketogenic diets, the general principles can be viewed microcosmically and macrocosmically. Think about an off-season bodybuilder or weightlifter: they gain weight at the beginning of the off-season, knowing later they will lose it as the season begins. Diets can therefore work in very small amounts of time (a wrestler's 24-hour fast to make weight), longer lengths of time (a cyclical ketogenic diet), or extended periods of time (over a year as seasonally required by some athletes). Keep in mind that these are all just examples of diets for the purpose of furthering a general understanding, and they are not in any way the only examples nor are they a sole prescription for their respective diet model.

Putting this all together, what I'm essentially saying is that your body will store energy. It will start putting much of this energy toward normalizing the reduced function, and some of this energy will become stored for a period of time. This doesn't mean a protruding paunch will burgeon overnight. It doesn't mean the scale won't change at all either. It does mean that the relatively-miniscule amount of extra energy your body stores will be put to use in the future no matter how it manifests itself in the present.

The 'exit strategy' you're looking for is, as I've said before, to eat normally. The problem you're having is recognizing that eating normally is the norm.

[​IMG]

12. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

13. otter

otter Senior member

ur loss, du

wb

why reminds me of a lot guys i know....they are full of fun facts and information, but have never used in anything in practice

i have him pegged as a skinnyfat guy who makes great use of google

he also has a touch of ''xenonitis''

14. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

try bodyopus for 4-6 weeks as a kick start. you will thank me.
    yo kunkface, What do you think about Body Contract by Duchaine? edit: thinking nevermind... "The drawback to the Body Contract System is that many exercises require one or even two spotters."

15. gogators

gogators Well-Known Member

Your best bet is not to go on a diet, but actually alter your eating habits for the long term. Simple changes to what you eat (ie, water instead of diet soda instead of regular soda) help, but if you don't stick with it, you'll just relapse over time.

I don't drink soda, I don't eat fried food, and I have the same meals every day (except for dinner). It's easy, I know how many calories I'm eating, and I certainly don't view it as "dieting."

16. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

not familiar with it, but am a big fan of duchaine in general.

yo kunkface,

What do you think about Body Contract by Duchaine?

edit: thinking nevermind... "The drawback to the Body Contract System is that many exercises require one or even two spotters."