• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crapped out on Ed Green sizing...again.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received my 7E Chestnut Banbury's on 202 from EG London last night.

Out of the box, onto my feet. Look great, feel pretty good. Stand up, walk around a bit. Feet starting to compress a little across width up front, around pinky toe/ outsole area. Toebox feeling a bit cramped height-wise. Same experience as last time on 606 last, though I was hopeful that the 202 would provide a little more "breathing room" up front. Not the case. And I am not one to "tough it out", or wear uncomfortable shoes. Generally if they feel tight out of the box, I think they're probably too small. The couple pair of 7E Lobb's I have ( on 9000 & 9501 lasts) fit great, but something about EG lasts don't work on my feet. Was doing a little research here, and came across a thread trying to unravel the age-old mystery of "EG D or E = US D width?". In it, someone mentioned a heel-to-ball ratio, wherein the widest part of the shoe in question may not align with the widest part of your foot. I suspect this is what is happening with EG for me. I don't suppose that trying another last in same size will make any difference--from 606 to 202 probably covers most bases, save some subtle nuances. That means either going up in width, or going to 7.5E. I refuse to consider that there is no size/last RTW combination that will fit me reasonably well (or at least I'd prefer not to consider it...).

Has anyone had any luck actually having EG's that were initially tight across the forefoot loosen up in wearing, to a decent comfort level? I am not hopeful in this regard...

Looks like I may have to sell these beauties. Not happy.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck actually having EG's that were initially tight across the forefoot loosen up in wearing, to a decent comfort level? I am not hopeful in this regard...
Yes. I don't do the stretch to fit thing usually, but EG's loosen considerably with wear in my experience.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
They do loosen up a bit, particularly after the shoe's had time to flex what with walking around and stuff.

Had you tried on EG shoes in this last and size before? Bear in mind that boots fit a bit differently.

After some experience I've realized there's no point in making a $500 (on sale) or $1000 error guessing my shoe size in EG. Try on the exact size and last you want or get EG to size you at a trunk show. It's too inexact a science otherwise.

Poshak Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AJL
Received my 7E Chestnut Banbury's on 202 from EG London last night.

Out of the box, onto my feet. Look great, feel pretty good. Stand up, walk around a bit. Feet starting to compress a little across width up front, around pinky toe/ outsole area. Toebox feeling a bit cramped height-wise. Same experience as last time on 606 last, though I was hopeful that the 202 would provide a little more "breathing room" up front. Not the case. And I am not one to "tough it out", or wear uncomfortable shoes. Generally if they feel tight out of the box, I think they're probably too small. The couple pair of 7E Lobb's I have ( on 9000 & 9501 lasts) fit great, but something about EG lasts don't work on my feet. Was doing a little research here, and came across a thread trying to unravel the age-old mystery of "EG D or E = US D width?". In it, someone mentioned a heel-to-ball ratio, wherein the widest part of the shoe in question may not align with the widest part of your foot. I suspect this is what is happening with EG for me. I don't suppose that trying another last in same size will make any difference--from 606 to 202 probably covers most bases, save some subtle nuances. That means either going up in width, or going to 7.5E. I refuse to consider that there is no size/last RTW combination that will fit me reasonably well (or at least I'd prefer not to consider it...).

Looks like I may have to sell these beauties. Not happy.

I think you need to go up half a size. I wear US 8D in most shoes US sized shoes. For Edward Green I wear UK size 7.5E and Lobbs last 1105 UK size 7E. By the way I still get a snug fit on that size with my Edward Green. But they get comfortable after 9 or 10 wearings.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They may stretch out, other EG experts can contribute on that.

But, everything you describe sounds exactly how I feel when I try a shoe on which is 1/2 size too small, especially being cramped in height at the toe.

Also, from my very limited experience trying on EG and Lobb, I indeed wear 9E in EG and 8.5E in Lobb.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
Yes. I don't do the stretch to fit thing usually, but EG's loosen considerably with wear in my experience.

+100

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need a 7.5 in EG and it makes sense that you need 1/2 size more than Lobbs; that's a pretty universal feeling.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris

I agree a pair of made for USA 11.5Ds 202s have stretched beautifully to my US11E size...without encouragement and are a very comfortable pair of shoes.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suffice to say there's never one right answer at SF...

The tally thus far among respondents is two folks who feel strongly that they will stretch considerably (i.e., more than other fine shoemakers), one who thinks they will stretch "a bit", and four who think I need to size up 1/2. Among the foursome, three specifically cite a half size increase in EG over comparable JL sizing in their experience.

I'm sure there is truth in both camps: I suspect they will stretch out, given time, and I also suspect that a 7.5E will be more comfortable out of the box, though I am not necessarily keen on additional length up front. Since the shoes in question are not returnable, I must now decide whether to a) suck it up and deal with a little discomfort in hopes of an eventual s t r e t c h or, b) cut my losses and resell them before adding additional wear.

Regardless, I think I will try a 7.5 next time around.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience with EG shoes is that they do stretch a little in time, with wear, but that doesn't help a lot while you're waiting for this to occur. My advice would be to take them to a good cobbler and have them gently stretched in the forefoot area that is tight. This is a very easy procedure and has always worked well for me. Good cobblers will put the shoes into a stretcher and leave them there for several days, gently increasing the tension at intervals along the way. No harm will come to the shoes, and I'm pretty confident that your problem will be solved. I suppose that, if you were nervous about doing this (although there's absolutely no need to be), you could ship them back to EG and have them do this. I'm sure they would. With a recent purchase from EG, I had them gently stretch a pair of 9Bs out to about 9B/C, not quite to C, but a little wider than B. I had this done before they shipped the shoes, but I'm pretty sure they'd do this on a pair already purchased if asked to do so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads