• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crap Jeans and busted denim

vanity

Reaction score
Well I'm sure you'll all get a kick outta this b/c it's a reason to hate. And a good one.

Last June I purchased a pair of Public Opinion and 7 For All Mankind jeans at Nordstrom. Approximately 1 month ago, both pairs busted apart in the crotch. Not on the seams, but the actual denim has worn and shredded in the front bottom of the pant. Like where your balls are I guess.

The Public Opinions took it a step further and shredded apart along the seam of the calf and completely tore out **********. Both pairs are fine in the knees and cuffs, two areas I'd expect the most wear.

So I'm going to attempt to return them to Nordstrom.

Question:
1) W/o a receipt, will they still let me exchange them for store credit? These are obviously horribly manufactured jeans.

2) What other brands have this problem? I've had Diesel and Earnest Sewns that lasted 4+ years. I'm not a fat guy, I'm 170lbs, 32x32. I should not be busting out holes in my pants.

3) I'm wearing a pair of $180 7FMK Hong Kong skinny jeans now. They are starting to fade in the crotch and they're only 2 months old. They were purchased at Neiman Marcus. Will they allow returns/exchanges there too?

Obviously I will NEVER, EVER purchase another piece of clothing from either brand again. This is completely unacceptable.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nordstrom's return policy is marsupialedly liberal. You could probably return your NM jeans to Nordstrom, too, though that would be unethical, and you don't want to do anything unethical, do you?
devil.gif
My gf worked there, and people used to take stuff off shelves in front of her, bring it to the counter, and ask for credit/cash. She would report it, but usually they just let it go. If you have the balls to return something, they'll take it.

Most jeans are liable to bust there if worn hard, or for a long time. It's a stress point. Greycast Nudies, I believe, are rumored to bust relatively quickly.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and this is why i stick to raw, heavy denim. i could imagine what i could do to a pair of those.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My jeans usually wear out the fastest around the crotch part too (or to be more specific, around the taint... Yeah, I know you all wanted to know that.
lol8[1].gif
) Not the seam, but the denim itself.

vanity

Reaction score
So....it sounds like this might be common? I've never experienced it in my life. What sucks worse is that I really, really liked those jeans. Now I've lost 3 pairs of jeans in 3 months.

that hurts.

vanity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
i see two approaches here

buy cheap disposable jeans
or one pair of expensive durable jeans

Expensive != Durable

As evident by my post.

Reaction score
nah, i wasn't saying expensive means durable
but that the more durable jeans are more expensive

anyway. maybe a pair of 45rpm?
they repair 'em if they bust for free!!!
whoooooo!

i recommend them for soccer

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
id go for some samurais. they will also repair your jeans, but it may cost.(so says toshiko)

samurais are no good for soccor tho... they are mainly good for kicking ass and takng names.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Samurais are tough, but if your main criterion is durability, I'd take Ironheart 21 ouncers in a heartbeat. The Samurai denim is more slubby (though they do not constitute slubby jeans in the PBJ category), and will abrade more quickly, even the 19 ouncers (although those re no slouch either.) And I personally like the fit of Ironhearts a lot more. They fit pretty true to size though, and stretch only marginally.

The American brands, SPURR, 5EP and Kicking Mule, in decreasing order of cost (Kicking Mules retail at about $225, but can be bought right now from Oak (no returns or exchanges though) for $120 or so, and from Denim Bar with a 20% Styleforum coupon for $180) also use very good, durable denim. Not as heavy as the other brand mentioned, but all with tightly woven, durable denim. I would not recommend the SPURRs for soccer, but the 5EP and Kicking Mule, no problems.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man that's messed up. I have a cheap $30 pair of jeans that I wore to death in college and after 10 years they still haven't ripped in the crotch or even come close to it.

Lady Savage

Reaction score
This has happened to me as well with a pair of citizens

Denim that is distressed will definitely wear through a lot faster than non distressed jeans or raw denim. I also find that putting them in the dryer made the worn part in the crotch area deteriorate much faster.

My advice... don't wash so often, when you do use a gentle cycle and hang dry your jeans.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vanity
Obviously I will NEVER, EVER purchase another piece of clothing from either brand again. This is completely unacceptable.
It's also complete normal for the brands you listed. I doubt NM and Nordstrom will accept returns after you have worn them, let alone worn then for months or even a year. It's not remotely reasonable to expect them to, no matter how unhappy you are about it (and, yes, they are crappy, overpriced pants). All you can do is avoid them in the future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads