• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Craftsman Coffee Mug?

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here familiar wtih Arts and Crafts pottery? I just acquired this coffee mug I admired last year in an antique shop. Looks to me, and owner agreed, it could be as old as from ca. 1910. Or in that Mission/Craftsman style but from any time since, of course. Any comments on its style/age? Marked on the bottom is a fraction: 254/1. What could that mark mean on the bottom of a mug. No other markings indicating marker. I think it's very attractive and fairly masculine, as well. It's hand painted.

[ATTACHMENT=2[ATTACHMENT=2410]Craftsman Mug 3.25.2012 001.JPG (143k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Last edited:

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coffee mugs inherently "feminine?" I don't agree. I don't think of anything related to coffee as particularly feminine. Teacups, perhaps. They're typically "pretty" and often have flowers, etc. When I went on this big search for a coffee mug for work last year, after my Guggenheim Museum mug finally fell and cracked, I did find that with the antique/vintage cups many were actually shaving mugs (not appealing for coffee), beer mugs, or cups with saucers - none of which I wanted. I guess the coffee mug concept is from early 20th century but not that early. As for all the souvernir and/or silly types, perhaps from the '40s?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stylistically, the decoration is Art Nouveau, or rather the German Jugendstil variant.

It's probably not as old as early 20th century, but it looks, at least, like something made in Germany between, say, 1895 and 1910. The most obvious reference would be Peter Behrens' designs, or something by the Brit/US arts-and-crafts movement, see CR Mackintosh.

The "fraction" on the bottom is most likely a factory code for model/decor (or decor/model). Very common on German and Scandinavian ceramics, but also found all over.

Pic of the mug's bottom, please? Would that be a "mugshot"?

Last edited:

Naka

Reaction score

Stylistically, the decoration is Art Nouveau, or rather the German Jugendstil variant.

It's probably not as old as early 20th century, but it looks, at least, like something made in Germany between, say, 1895 and 1910. The most obvious reference would be Peter Behrens' designs, or something by the Brit/US arts-and-crafts movement, see CR Mackintosh.

The "fraction" on the bottom is most likely a factory code for model/decor (or decor/model). Very common on German and Scandinavian ceramics, but also found all over.

Pic of the mug's bottom, please? Would that be a "mugshot"?

I feel like I'm watching Antiques Roadshow. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I thoroughly enjoy Antiques Roadshow.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[ATTACHMENT=2482]Craftsman Mug 3.25.2012 004.JPG (155k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A shot of the inside. Unfortunately, I now see a hairline interior crack....[ATTACHMENT=2483]Craftsman Mug 3.25.2012 003.JPG (141k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One more view, showing how pattern is on two sides:[ATTACHMENT=2484]Craftsman Mug 3.25.2012 002.JPG (139k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hm, sorry, but I don't really have much more to offer in the way of information. My guess is still that it's German, though.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I'd like to think of it as such. For years I followed my parents' example and tried to avoid German-made objects. It got to the point in recent years, however, that I believe anyone who had any responsibility for any horrors that took place in WW2 is dead or quite unable to have any connection with creation of something new. Thus I have wonderful German-made eyewear, a frame by Lunor, a wonderful leather watch strap by DiModell, etc. In this case the mug, assumbly would be pre-Nazi era.

Incidentally, regarding this tiny hairline crack I discovered inside the mug - might a bit of non-toxic glue do something to preserve the mug, perhaps?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads