• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crafting a Wardrobe for a Beginner

panther2k

Reaction score
Hi everyone, complete beginner here. I've been reading through the forums over the past few days trying to soak up as much as I can but still feel pretty overwhelmed by everything. I've been working at a very white shoe, conservative investment bank in Manhattan since graduating college in last year and can't get away with wearing cheap, ill fitting clothes anymore (I played a sport in college and have an athletic physique so off-the-rack stuff has never looked flattering on me).

If you could point me in the direction of any must-read threads/articles/books I would very much appreciate it as well as any other advice you might have for someone starting out. Keep in mind, I really do know very little aside from what I've read on here: so anything on care to shoes to ties is welcome.

I purchased black AE Park Avenue's this weekend but after reading the board it looks like I need to cycle the shoes I wear daily--what other good starter shoes (but high-end/good enough quality that I'll still be able to wear them 10 years from now as I progress in my career) should I check out?

I also have a few shoe trees, that I bought from Century 21--if I get these on the cheap, is there a risk of them damaging my shoes? Where/how much should I spend on these?

For shirts, I've heard good things about CEGO and Geneva, which I plan on checking out at some point. I think the important thing here is that I find someone who's patient enough to guide me through the process at the beginning while I'm still learning but is also going to be able to grow with me.

Same for suits although I haven't had a chance to read through the forums for recommendations yet.

Thanks for bearing with me and I really do appreciate any input you all might have!

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
welcome to SF...

go slow as it could get overwhelming...develop/know your style and go from there...budget and need are factors to consider as you will see items here that "you want" right away...

learn to use the search function..so many similar threads out there and believe me you will find your answers...visit the WAYWRN section

have fun..

AE Park Av and shoes trees is a great start

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The C21 shoes trees will be just fine. The Cedarville Store link above will offer you some other options. The key is to have something that fills the shoe, which is why lasted shoe trees are probably worth the premium and non-lasted trees that cost a ton of money are almost certainly not.

Since you are in NYC, you might as well check out the Alden Shop and Brooks Brothers (wait for a sale) for shoes. You may also want to wander into Crockett & Jones, but there shoes can be had for about half what they charge in the NYC shop via uk ebay, plal, etc.

After fumbling around looking for shirts that fit, I ended up at CEGO and couldn't be happer. I would stop by and start building a shirt wardrobe.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by panther2k
Hi everyone, complete beginner here. I've been reading through the forums over the past few days trying to soak up as much as I can but still feel pretty overwhelmed by everything. I've been working at a very white shoe, conservative investment bank in Manhattan since graduating college in last year and can't get away with wearing cheap, ill fitting clothes anymore (I played a sport in college and have an athletic physique so off-the-rack stuff has never looked flattering on me).

If you could point me in the direction of any must-read threads/articles/books I would very much appreciate it as well as any other advice you might have for someone starting out. Keep in mind, I really do know very little aside from what I've read on here: so anything on care to shoes to ties is welcome.

I purchased black AE Park Avenue's this weekend but after reading the board it looks like I need to cycle the shoes I wear daily--what other good starter shoes (but high-end/good enough quality that I'll still be able to wear them 10 years from now as I progress in my career) should I check out?

I also have a few shoe trees, that I bought from Century 21--if I get these on the cheap, is there a risk of them damaging my shoes? Where/how much should I spend on these?

For shirts, I've heard good things about CEGO and Geneva, which I plan on checking out at some point. I think the important thing here is that I find someone who's patient enough to guide me through the process at the beginning while I'm still learning but is also going to be able to grow with me.

Same for suits although I haven't had a chance to read through the forums for recommendations yet.

Thanks for bearing with me and I really do appreciate any input you all might have!

Honestly there are no magazines, or books that encompass everything. You really just need to know your style before you go getting things made or spending any kind of real money on clothes. I would like at the What are you wearing right now thread and see how people are dressing and see what you like and go from there. Ask people what it is they are wearing if you like it. I always tell people who are starting out to always start with good shoes and bad ones can ruin any outfit, but good ones can make mediocre outfits look like a million bucks. I would have at least three pairs of good shoes and rotate through them. Always use cedar shoe trees that fit properly and condition and polish them as needed. Look at brands like Crockett & Jones, Alden, Church, Edward Green, Gaziano & Girling...

As far as suits goes it depends on a lot of factors, mostly your style, budget and means of acquiring (bespoke, MTM, RTW)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads