• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Craft, DB Bistron Moderne, or Cafe Boulud?

Nahmeanz

Reaction score
I'm taking a day trip down to NYC to do a little shopping, maybe visit that Chanel Mobile Art exhibit and then dinner with the gf. The trip is for her bday so I need opinions on the restaurants listed. I've always wanted to try one of Daniel Boulud's restaurants. I've been to Craftsteak in Vegas and loved it so I also want to try Craft. I have a reservation at 7:15pm at Craft, 8:00pm at DB Bistro Moderne, and 9:30pm at Cafe Boulud, which should I keep?

Also, if I end up at DB, has anyone tried the DB Burger? I love burgers and would like to know if a $32 is worth it. Or if they have truffles, a $100-$150 burger is worth it?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never heard a bad thing about Craft, though I have heard some so-so review of Craftsteak.

I can't imagine a $32 burger is worth it. I had a $25 one and it was no better than a $10 bacon cheeseburger from Ruby Tuesday.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought craft (at least in LA) was solid, yet didn't really go "out there" with their menu. Pretty solid menu, doesn't try to shock or awe, just food cooked rather solidly.

I really want to try that DB burger, probably will next time in Vegas.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you're looking for.

DB Bistro - more casual than the other choices, the burger is overrated, food is solid
Cafe Coulud - Excellent all around, menu is more traditional French
Craft - very expensive, but imo worth it. Great cooking and flavors, again more traditional

Nahmeanz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
Depends on what you're looking for.

DB Bistro - more casual than the other choices, the burger is overrated, food is solid
Cafe Coulud - Excellent all around, menu is more traditional French
Craft - very expensive, but imo worth it. Great cooking and flavors, again more traditional

Just went to the link in your sig, a dessert truck is a great idea, maybe I'll drop by tomorrow.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Of those, I have had the best experiences at Cafe Boulud.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
craft is always excellent, boulud is hit or miss.

Originally Posted by Connemara
I've never heard a bad thing about Craft, though I have heard some so-so review of Craftsteak.

I can't imagine a $32 burger is worth it. I had a $25 one and it was no better than a $10 bacon cheeseburger from Ruby Tuesday.

Nahmeanz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Where is Boulud?

There's Bar Boulud on the UWS, Daniel and Cafe Boulud on the UES, DB Bistro Moderne is midtown where all the university clubs are, and he's opening DBGB downtown.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nahmeanz
There's Bar Boulud on the UWS, Daniel and Cafe Boulud on the UES, DB Bistro Moderne is midtown where all the university clubs are, and he's opening DBGB downtown.
Yeah, I was wondering about DB. Thanks.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Cafe Boulud, excellent all around. Meh on DB Moderne, ok food, decor not my cup of tea, in a very bland neighborhood.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
I love Cafe Boulud, excellent all around. Meh on DB Moderne, ok food, decor not my cup of tea, in a very bland neighborhood.

We working stiffs need to eat, too.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Daniel is 65th and Park (I think). Cafe Boulud is 75th (or so) between Fifth and Mad.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I like Bar Boulud.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Of those, I have had the best experiences at Cafe Boulud.

I have always had a very good meal there. The majority of comfort lunches that I have in the city are there, Jean Georges, or Chanterelle.

Predictable yet fine. Mostly.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads