Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

"Cowboy Up" or not?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BlackLadBrad, Oct 3, 2012.

1. BlackLadBrad

BlackLadBrad New Member

I'm called "Cowboy" for my love of Country music,dancing and of course,cowboy garb.While I'm said to resemble a handsome black cowboy,should someone like me wear
    Western-style clothing,and if so,where should I wear it?

2. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Curtis?

3. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

it all depends on where you live and how far you take it.

4. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

Why would you not?

Plenty of black cowboys. On the other hand, it's tough for any non-cowboy to pull off the western shirts, big belt buckles, boots, etc., all at once. Might be a bit harder if you're black.

5. NORE

NORE Senior member

6. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Where whatever you want. What type of question is this? Show me an example of what you'll be wearing. Then, I can tell you what I think.

7. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

If you are really into this, why not dress up accordingly

As far as I know, a significant number of cowboys during the post-Civil-War decades were black, so why should you not adopt this look. If someone has an issue with this take this opinion for what it is worth, i.e. nothing.

8. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

If there can be a black President, there can be a black cowboy.

Go whilin' out. I don't mean boots / belt buckle / hat. I'm talking spurs / chaps / poncho.

Pls post pics.

9. Redbird13

Redbird13 Active Member

As a native Texan, I wholeheartedly support western-wear. When it fits well, it can be extremely flattering.

If western is your style, I don't see why you can't regularly wear it out and about . The cowboy look seems to fit wherever "smart casual" applies.

10. peach

peach Active Member

Brad , I have lived mostly in the west and spent a couple decades in the oilfields where cowboy garb was common and have lot's of great western styled clothing in my closet. Now that I live in downtown Chicago and work in the larger cities what I do is limit myself to one cowboy item at a time. A belt one day ,corduroy jacket with a western yoke another day, RRL or Rockmount shirt on weekends.I like pairing it with nice leather jackets or an old Belstaff or Barbour and i look right at home here or Denver or Houston. The only place I ever really felt conspicuous was a short stint living in L.A. where I never really found a style that I could make my own (my friends were very casual). So I say go for it , try it with sport coats , nicely tailored clothing and of coarse StyleForum approved footwear.Sometimes less is more.

11. Olivine76

Olivine76 Well-Known Member

I think it depends on how far you take it. White cowboys that are decked out look ridiculous. No real cowboy will be wearing RRL, or other boutique western wear, you will get no respect from cowboys if they found how how much it cost...of course a real cowboy would not care your label. I think subtle western wear could be pulled off by any person of any ethnic background.
    I'm an Asian guy who wears jeans, denim or chambray shirt, Ariat cowboy boots and a Houston rodeo belt buckle to work every day.

I say go for it, but don't go overboard with rhinestone, bolo ties, waxed trench coat, etc.

12. knezz

knezz Senior member

Make sure your cloths fit exceptionally well and are clean and perfectly coordinated. When on looks different to their environment those think really count. In some environments certain things seem strange as it is not often seen (if at all). In a buisness casual environment, wearing a suit every day including even on Fridays seems strange. Don't get freaked out and go all glitzy...

"Do You" but "Do You Well"!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012

13. Gdot

Gdot Senior member