• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy prom idea: good or bad?

ajpthng03

Reaction score
I already posted one topic about prom, and i was advised to go for something a bit more edgy, so i thought about this and wasn't sure if it could be edgy in a good way, or just a bad idea. If anyone has seen the Tim McGraw video for She's my kind of Rain they will know what i am talking about, but i was thinking of wearing a nice black suit, white shirt underneath, black tie, and a black cowboy hat, sort of a formal western flare. If i went for it i dunno if i would get boots or just black shoes, that could be going overboard, but again the whole idea could be a bit overboard. Tell me what you think.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I suppose it depends on your environment. I'm from New England, so the idea of wearing a cowboy hat anywhere, even to a rodeo, is totally alien to me. However, I went to school with a kid from Denver who said that, where he's from, you weren't anybody if you weren't wearing a new pair of Wranglers and a Stetson.

If you're from a place where emulating Tim McGraw is considered cool (with the exception of marrying Faith Hill - who's not a bit jealous of that?), I'd say wear it with pride. If you're not, it'll look affected.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you from?
I'll go out on a limb and say, IMO, cowboy prom is not the way to get "edgy." I think what the posters in the other thread where referring to was a more sophisticated or fun look to stand out from the other penguins. It seems to me that a cowboy hat will be just a spectacle; I'm sure it will get a lot of attention, but exacly what kind of attention are you looking for?
That being said, what kind of person are you? I see myself as very understated, and prefer classic looks. If I had to do my prom over again, I'd do it the same - rent a tux with either a white or black tie & cumberbund. I could never do cowboy. But you may be entirely different, and maybe it works for you.
The cowboy idea seems more of a joke outfit to me, but if that's what you are going for, more power to ya. Good luck, I hope I didn't come off to harsh...

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Something to consider:
A gentleman should always remove his hat while indoors. So the idea may be nulled right off the bat.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to ask the same question as everyone else - where are you from? That being said, I think here in Arizona you could get away with it if you live in one of our state's smaller towns or even in certain parts of the Greater Phoenix or Tucson areas -- it really just depends on your community. However, if you are going to do it, I say definitely get a pair of cowboy boots. You're sort of selling out on the whole idea if you just wear dress shoes. However, be sure that you don't get the boots with the high heels, get a pair of black ropers. For those who aren't familiar with the term, ropers are boots with low heels (about the same height as most dress shoes). I have a pair of black ropers that I sometimes wear in place of my dress shoes or with a suit and I have to say that I receive quite a few compliments when I do. Again though, it's a function of where you live - I probably wouldn't wear them in New England. Bradford P.S. One other thing to consider is your date's reaction to your outfit. You probably should check this with her before you make any decisions
biggrin.gif

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll have to take responsibility for telling you to choose an outfit that's more "edgy." By that I meant fashion forward, not goofy, or outrageous. Something perhaps you'd see worn by a WELL DRESSED actor at the Oscars (didn't see this years, so I can't give an example). Try going for something with non-conservative tailoring such as a Dior tux or a slim cut black suit with a nice sheen in the fabric.

Do you want to be that guy at the prom who wears the "funny" outfit, that really isn't funny? For example: the Dumb and Dummer, orange and blue tux, or the zoot suit. This is really the epitome of bad taste.

On a separate note, my best friend wore a cowboy hat to our prom along with a necklace of roses. His dates wore headband of roses to match. He pulled off the look because he is a rockstar and had two dates (both considerably older than him too.). The cowboy hat was a rather small one, with the sides rolled up, made out of black straw(?).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics