• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy hats

Barnabus

Reaction score
Hate them though i'm not hat guy to begin with so i'm naturally inclined to be biased from the start.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
akubra_hats.jpg

only in the country

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lived in Texas/NM for five years and I got so tired of EVERYONE wearing a cowboy hat (even in nice restaurants) and driving pickup trucks when they lived in a condo and the only horse they ever rode was at a petting zoo when they were 8.

Hate them on 99.99% of people.

csheehan

Reaction score
They're probably in some way responsible for keeping hat companies in business, so I like them. Wouldn't wear one though!

andrew96

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
I lived in Texas/NM for five years and I got so tired of EVERYONE wearing a cowboy hat (even in nice restaurants) and driving pickup trucks when they lived in a condo and the only horse they ever rode was at a petting zoo when they were 8.

Hate them on 99.99% of people.

What do you mean NM? I know some folks that lived in Huston for 8 years during the late 70s/early 80s, they told me they only saw people wearing Cowboy hats for show.

I bought a Resistol Hat at a thrift store yesterday, I'm an XXL head so it's hard to fit me and I finally found one. I like it, but only will wear it for fun occasions. I am semi-southern, I grew up in the south and love to fish/hunt and am bilingual, Southern and Yankee, so I think I can pull it off. I have to buy some Frye boots now too.

Sazerac

Reaction score
I thought they were stupid until I moved to Denver. A lot of the ranchers wear them and look quite dashing. If you've got that slender, rangey look and you actually work with cattle, then by all means.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look great if you are authentic. I have owned them, they don't look good on me.
lol8[1].gif

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
In Houston I stay away from country dancing joints. You occasionally see people wearing them and they usually look dorky. Especially the plastic cowboys with the Garth Brooks versions. They look much better on scruffy blue collar types, either white or TexMex, but the best hats are the Spanish style ones with the telescope crown as worn by Lee Van Cleef, Clint in Hang Em High, Stevie Ray Vaughan et al.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
I like mine, scruffy blue collar type that I am.
SWgbk.jpg

a2NaP.jpg

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What about Texas-sized belt buckles?

I always thought that a nice black pair of croc cowboy boots was one of the classiest addition to a nice Tuxedo. You see it often here in Texas. However, I'll stick with my Genson Opera Pumps. The guys wearing cowboy boots always get a kick out of their little black bows... they never seem to understand, despite my history lessons.

PTWilliams

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads