• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy boots

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fok is selling our data!!!

Also, checking out Lucchese - apparently the Jonah is listed under 'Shoes' and not in their boots category? Is it not everything I've been led to believe?!?

From looking around, I really like these, but not sure of the fit around the calf. I like a tighter fit, so chelseas and sidezip work for me. The Lawrence, Teddy, Cannon, Grant, and Scout all look good to me. What are some non-Lucchese brands I should be looking at? Suede preferred.

I’ve been looking at the Jonah. It’s probably my next pair of boots.

The one point in DWF’s post I’ll agree with is the authenticity issue. Many me have a hard time pulling off western boots and not looking like a try hard.

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just found this thread, and have skimmed through some of it. It's interesting to see everyone's opinions, and I'll add my perspective when I get a chance. I did note right away some requests to see the types of western boots that are more suited to "non-cowboy" wear. So I wanted to show you this recent consignment find: a simply stunning pair of handmade western dress boots from Paul Bond's workshop in Nogales. These are bench made, understated, and just as rich and sumptuous as anything from the top-line shoe workshops, IMHO.

4911 - 1.jpg
4911 - 14.jpg

Just as in dress footwear, it's always best to have your boots made bespoke, if you can afford it (I can't, so I hunt for pre-owned ones). So you could have the same pair with a lower heel that's less underslung for a daily use boot, although I'd happily wear these with a suit (disclosure: I'm in rural AZ). Bootmakers cantilever the heel progressively the taller it becomes, so cowboys can walk like John Wayne instead of Herman Munster. If you don't need the heel, a walking heel with a shorter vertical rear can be spec'd. I have a gorgeous pair from David Espinoza in Phoenix that I found at a consignment store, bison skin with a walking heel and they're amongst the most comfortable footwear I own. I'll rejoin the conversation once I've read the whole thread.

Last edited:

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just got these in from Rios of Mercedes. I went with 11.5EE and the fit is snug for me. I don’t usually wear EE.

Pleasantly surprised at how easily these fit under jeans. Wearing a pair of 3Sixteen currently with a sub 8” leg opening. Will have to measure later, but I know I wouldn’t fit wesco engineer boots underneath them.

Not the best photo sorry.

Very nice! Always love the clean look of the Rios. Wear them in good health my friend, and count down the days until your next pair, because you know there will be a next pair very soon!!

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Sartoriamo those are beautiful boots. What a find! Nice to know some good names to look out for should I be so lucky.

One thing I like about what I’m seeing among western boots is that there seem to be lots of makers who offer a variety of heel and toe shapes MTO and various leather combinations. Not full bespoke of course, but very reasonaly prices MTO.

@troika you could have a look at https://cartersboots.com/ They have some ropers stock in various sizes. I have a pair of their house brand boots. Quality seems good. Finish is almost certainly below Lucchese.

@gnatty8 these Rios are really comfortable right away. Solved the snugness by putting slimmer insoles in. Definitely a gateway pair. :)

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seems to me that the reason this thread gets so little traffic is that among manufacturers (and even bespoke makers)...at every price point...there is no applicable aesthetic. And very little impulse to find one.

The same can be said for a great many people that purchase and wear cowboy boots--the average consumer, IOW..

People who admire high end men's shoes don't apply the same criteria or standards of quality to boots. People who would stand aghast at mismatched seams on a man's shoe, blithely extol the virtues, and tout the refinement, of boots that have blatantly mismatched seams--such as where the quarters meet; or side welts that are awkwardly warped off straight and towards the rear of the boot. And these are just a few of the examples...all common enough that they've become almost acceptable.

There are lots of these 'sins' that people accept; common mistakes that when compounded over and over again on a pair of boots or even within a brand, add up to ugly. And inauthentic. But which so colour our perceptions that, in the eye of the average consumer boots are regarded, at best, as 'common.'

Thing is that almost without exception the problems arise from a a misunderstanding of the last or the foot; poor patterning; or simply inattention or indifference. Not from the form or the possibilities inherent in the form.

If the consumer doesn't demand better, they get what they deserve. But in the long run, it almost certainly will only get worse.

Here are a few of the more egregious mistakes which are commonplace on virtually all commercially made (and even some bespoke) boots (please excuse these rough sketches):

crooked_sideseam.png broken_quarter.png

mismatched_seams.png mismatched_stitching.png

sole_line.png undercut_heel.png

Last edited:

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... associated with social strata below their own self-perceived status.
I landed on this thread out of mere curiosity, so forgive my totally off topic comment ...
... but I found the line above to perfectly define a peculiar attitude.
While I have no cowboy boots to pass on my son, I'll by sure use that definition to try and give him a honest perspective from which to look at his own, as well as others', scale of values.
Thank you DWFII for giving a troubled father an useful hint!
Luigi

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really like the shape of these snip toes. Wider than usual. Al’s handmade boots in Houston

0CA532C9-D5D4-41D3-A15F-E436923698AA.jpeg

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped into Montana’s custom boots and had a nice long talk with Montana himself.

It’s about $1200 to $1500 for a custom made pair. 4 month lead time.

I’m thinking this leather:
A658532F-60DE-4AB2-A24A-740ED8361F55.jpeg

With this design:
D99C30D8-6C51-4674-92FD-9A4ED131357F.jpeg

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stopped into Montana’s custom boots and had a nice long talk with Montana himself.

It’s about $1200 to $1500 for a custom made pair. 4 month lead time.

I’m thinking this leather:
View attachment 1194181

With this design:
View attachment 1194182

I love that bone color for boots like this. You wouldn't be going wrong to get the pair shown for color as is, but I do like that pointed toe and sort of skin stitch thing going on in the second pair too. Hadn't seen that before on cowboy boots.

I may end up doing a non-baller pair of bone cowhide boots with Drews, maybe next year.

We'll need some details if you end up going with a custom pair like this!

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the leather. Don't like the design you are thinking of. Hope they turn out well for you.

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love that bone color for boots like this. You wouldn't be going wrong to get the pair shown for color as is, but I do like that pointed toe and sort of skin stitch thing going on in the second pair too. Hadn't seen that before on cowboy boots.

I may end up doing a non-baller pair of bone cowhide boots with Drews, maybe next year.

We'll need some details if you end up going with a custom pair like this!
Yeah I got a little wacky last night. I’ll probably stick to a more classic design. I too love the bone color. Khruangbin was the first place I saw cool white boots and have been fiending for a pair ever since.

594F64C3-C17B-4C4B-A147-FE58F77657DC.jpeg E0C3DC68-812B-446D-A6C7-7BF736F9BE77.jpeg

I am also considering this black pair from Heritage. Maybe both? Oi I need to save my sheckles.
AF2F45A9-E9DA-4EE1-9351-623B03E2F9E8.jpeg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like those. Haven't heard of the maker before though? Any background you can give me?

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like those. Haven't heard of the maker before though? Any background you can give me?
They’re Heritage based in Austin. Everything I’ve heard is that they are good stuff. May try them on next time I swing thru there. With all my research though, I’m finding a lot of good stuff out there. May not be able to hold out that long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads