• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy boots

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think Lucchese charges $12k for full gator skin but not bespoke so $6k is an amazing price.

Some won't believe this but much above $6-8K it's all blue sky and profiteering.

Much below begins to be suspect.... IMO, FWIW.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of Rios, do you have recommendations on a place to buy them @gnatty8? And do you find they run narrow? I tried on a pair of ropers a year or so ago in a D width and boy did they seem to run narrow to me.

Funny you should ask, I bought the ropers below just this weekend. They are also Rios, and these ones are a 10D. I normally take a 9 1/2D to 10 1/2D depending on the maker. Wore these for a day of travel and by the end of the day (had a 4 hour delay thrown in for good measure) they felt perfect. However, I also have a pair of more traditional western boots from them that do indeed feel as if they run narrow, and it takes some commitment to break them in for sure!

I buy almost all of my boots at a place in Tennessee (DM me if you'd like some recommendations) where I can try before I buy, which is important with a western boot since there can be so much variation, even within makers sometime! Rios does have a pretty good custom program though, so that might be your best bet?

rios2.jpg
rios1.jpg

Chawk806

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t wear them as often as I would like but must say I live a good broken in pair.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Several reasons, IMO...

First and foremost, people who frequent forums such as these have a great deal of disdain, generally speaking, for clothing/footwear that is associated with social strata below their own self-perceived status.

Second, people who buy cowboy boots seldom do so looking for quality comparable to the best men's shoes...even the ticky-tacky quality of mid tier, GYW shoes. If they are not ranchers or actual cowboys, such customers are almost universally looking to project a rugged, tough image rather than grace or elegance.

As a consequence, they don't look for, or demand, the kind of refinement or...well, 'beauty'...that dominates the men's shoe market--esp. as represented on a forum such as this.

The result is that the demand for refinement is depressed or dismissed. And that in turn, dictates more oil tanned leathers and rubber outsoles, and plastic or paperboard heel stacks...often shaped in the most awkward and functionally suspect manner possible. All of which further enhances the perception of 'crudeness.'

Even at the bespoke level, most makers gravitate towards the gaudy and rococo rather than clean, even lines of small stitches and thoughtfully balanced proportions. Simply because that's what the customer thinks he wants.

And finally, it's an authentic look that necessitates a certain personal authenticity and confidence to pull off outside the Ranch Community. A confidence that doesn't pay much heed to "style" or what's in fashion.

Last edited:

Carson

Reaction score
I love western boots, and generally wear them in the spring and summer (other times of year, Tricker's and Crockett & Jones). I don't have an amazing collection: Just a tan rough out Lucchese that I love; another Lucchese in a "peanut brittle" goat leather; something else I picked up at Space Cowboy in NYC from their house line. And a lovely cognac RRL plainview. So easy to take on and off and so comfortable, and look great with denim. I live in the San Francisco area and I've only seen one other guy wearing western boots (he's from Austin) and we've become friends as we hang out at the same bar.

suitedcboy

Reaction score
DWFII got it I think. I wear boots and have 3 dozen pair. I have always worn boots. My motives are not fashion as much I want my feet to come clear of stirrups if a horse pitches me off. Sure, I have some I wear because they are exotics and they are dressy. I wear some of those with suits and I think most people do not know they are boots as I'm not into pointed toes as they are not as comfortable for my wider feet. Wide round toe boots, especially with lower heels don't show so much as boots with pants hemmed lower for greater break. I concur that the overwhelming bulk of people here have no use for boots and many that do wear western boots do it for rare effect.

Last edited:

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agree with most of those points, notably the first one about western boots falling into that strata of "workwear" and receiving about the same level of interest as the SW&D sub-forum from posters who spend most of their time on the CM side of the house. That said, you do tend to see an awful lot of "work" boots in CM, Alden Indies and the like, so maybe it goes beyond just the "social strata" argument. I do think that people who post here might be at the intersection of style and quality where one would spend more time focusing on how well made a boot is, or how well executed the design. I have been collecting western boots for years now, and probably have a good 10 pairs, all of which get at least some fairly regular wear. I actually find them more comfortable than shoes for the most part.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FD17EE69-EE2C-4F68-88EE-53F346041C36.jpeg
Just got these in from Rios of Mercedes. I went with 11.5EE and the fit is snug for me. I don’t usually wear EE.

Pleasantly surprised at how easily these fit under jeans. Wearing a pair of 3Sixteen currently with a sub 8” leg opening. Will have to measure later, but I know I wouldn’t fit wesco engineer boots underneath them.

Not the best photo sorry.

Also tagging @troika because he said he’s selling all his loafers and buying cowboy boots to replace them.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm here to renounce my loafing ways and switch to 100% ropers. Help me, folks.

I do have some cowboy-themed boots, but nothing too crazy. Lucchese Jonahs, Buttero Floyds, Margiela Argentinian roper.

I was looking at other kinds of lucchese ropers, any other recs that I can vibe with? I do like the Tecovas ropers, but I have no idea about the brand, and I generally try to avoid the "cut out the middleman" companies like the plague.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In re Tecovas. Honestly does not seem like pricing is really that much better if you look around a bit. Maybe quality is good, who knows? Service? Not sure exactly what the value prop is there. But man they hit the digital marketing hard. Funny thing is I got a catalog in the mail from them recently so digital may have peaked for their market.

Overall seems like there are other more interesting boot makers.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In re Tecovas. Honestly does not seem like pricing is really that much better if you look around a bit. Maybe quality is good, who knows? Service? Not sure exactly what the value prop is there. But man they hit the digital marketing hard. Funny thing is I got a catalog in the mail from them recently so digital may have peaked for their market.

Overall seems like there are other more interesting boot makers.

I just got a mail catalog as well, but have never ordered from them.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got a mail catalog as well, but have never ordered from them.

Fok is selling our data!!!

Also, checking out Lucchese - apparently the Jonah is listed under 'Shoes' and not in their boots category? Is it not everything I've been led to believe?!?

From looking around, I really like these, but not sure of the fit around the calf. I like a tighter fit, so chelseas and sidezip work for me. The Lawrence, Teddy, Cannon, Grant, and Scout all look good to me. What are some non-Lucchese brands I should be looking at? Suede preferred.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads