• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy boots

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just for reference...this is what a 'real' stacked leather heel looks like (this stack has been burnished and all that is needed is wax...and of course, 'wheeling' / ironing...to create a 'natural' heel):

DSC00709 (1280 x 1024).jpg

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ Maybe not all that much, considering age and provenance.

I'd have to check, but I believe we got $6K for these:

20190111_065841_001_sm (1024 x 768).jpg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just for reference...this is what a 'real' stacked leather heel looks like (this stack has been burnished and all that is needed is wax...and of course, 'wheeling' / ironing...to create a 'natural' heel):

Now there's a thing of beauty..

Spoo, those are awesome, only wish they were a 10

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol, what? No returns?? I would never take that leap since I have western boots from the same maker ranging in size from 9 to 10 1/2! I'd probably pass on those unless they agreed to take unworn returns. Do you have any stores that stock western boots in your area? Saw your next post about Boulet. Have never heard of them actually!!

I agree. I think I did find a site selling Hondo that will take a return. May give these a try:
Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 10.01.15 AM.png

Wow, do not like that heel at all. Looks like a normal heel for a dress shoe.

Block heel seems to be a thing with a certain kind of square toed boot. Though I think maybe others do it better. For example these from Rios of Mercedes:

Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 9.41.00 AM.png

Speaking of Rios, do you have recommendations on a place to buy them @gnatty8? And do you find they run narrow? I tried on a pair of ropers a year or so ago in a D width and boy did they seem to run narrow to me.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's a link to the Boulet web site, translated from French I think.

https://www.bouletboots.com/manufacturing/?v=3e8d115eb4b3

The pics I posted were of a stacked leather heel and Goodyear Welted leather sole. These boots were great value at around $600 CDN.

Nowhere on their webpage, in the promotional literature or description of the boots, does it say the heels are stacked leather...least not anywhere I can see. And if you watch the youtube video on hows they are made, at 4.28 they're putting on the heel--still looks plastic to me.

That said they do say that the welt is stitched to the insole which is demonstrably (in the video) false.

But maybe your particular pair really does have a stacked leather heel...but I don't think so.

You know it doesn't make any difference to me...if you like 'em, fine. Originally, I was just commenting...from a professional POV...on what I saw in the photos.

[shrug]

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Appreciate the points @DWFII. I'd defer to your experience and expertise here personally. That being said, @khughes44 seems to be getting good service and enjoyment from his boots, so there's that.

I have a pair of Boulets on order to try out for sizing and looks like they should have the same construction as we've been talking about here so I can have a look at it in person. As I've mentioned, the pricing on the boots is appealing and if they're serviceable, then that may be fine. Or maybe I'll be better off putting the money for Boulet towards an MTO pair from another maker. I'm sure someone else can put together a similar boot to that square toe smooth ostrich with the blue shaft.

khughes44

Reaction score
I didn't chime into this thread to promote Boulet, or justify anything on their web site. I took Frank's question to be an open one, "what’s the thought about Boulet?" If it wasn't an open question, then I spoke out of turn. I'm sorry.

I have no skin in this game, and couldn't care less about your professional POV.

Shrug

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't chime into this thread to promote Boulet, or justify anything on their web site. I took Frank's question to be an open one, "what’s the thought about Boulet?" If it wasn't an open question, then I spoke out of turn. I'm sorry.

I have no skin in this game, and couldn't care less about your professional POV.

Shrug

I appreciate you posting your thoughts and the photos. I'll say again, great looking pair of boots and you've gotten really good wear from them.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
...and couldn't care less about your professional POV.

No reason why you should...my initial remarks and observations, in post #546, were not directed at, nor in response to, you. Despite any demonstrably mistaken impression that they were.

I offered them up to @FrankCowperwood ...from a professional POV...simply because an objective, experience-based, informed, POV ('professional', IOW) is always better than a speculative, amateur, POV.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ Maybe not all that much, considering age and provenance.

I'd have to check, but I believe we got $6K for these:

View attachment 1130802
$6k for a full gator belly is actually pretty well priced compared to other brands I've seen for full gator belly. On another note, tomorrow is Go Texans Day in Houston so everyone is going to be wearing their boots and other western wear to work. I'll be rocking my gator skin cowboy boots.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
$6k for a full gator belly is actually pretty well priced compared to other brands I've seen for full gator belly

You're right esp. if we're talking premium skins and bespoke. The six skins required alone cost nearly one third that price...nevermind the linings, insoles, outsoles, etc., as well as the labour.

On the other end of the spectrum, IIRC, Hermes had a pair (not cowboy boots) they were marketing at $25K. Of course they are / were in the process of cornering the market for croc / gator, so they can charge whatever they want.

Bottom line though is that I'm buying from reputable wholesalers at every level...charging much less would mean I would have to cut costs somewhere.

And that always means cutting quality.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right esp. if we're talking premium skins and bespoke. The six skins required alone cost nearly one third that price...nevermind the linings, insoles, outsoles, etc., as well as the labour.

On the other end of the spectrum, IIRC, Hermes had a pair (not cowboy boots) they were marketing at $25K. Of course they are / were in the process of cornering the market for croc / gator, so they can charge whatever they want.

Bottom line though is that I'm buying from reputable wholesalers at every level...charging much less would mean I would have to cut costs somewhere.

And that always means cutting quality.
I think Lucchese charges $12k for full gator skin but not bespoke so $6k is an amazing price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads