• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy boots

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another pair from Heritage, they call these Belle Star

3FC1FBB5-9655-4AAE-B950-87C8BD8AF38A.jpeg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, rest in peace DWFII, your expertise and comntributions will be sorely missed in this thread.

Bamaboots

Reaction score
Thanks @gnatty8 for the post about Mr Frommer. Condolences to his family. He was an award winning boot maker and he shared that knowledge with boot and shoe makers from all over the world. I first became aware of him because he had created a kind of mini revival in two piece cowboy boots; sort of the way they were first made only his are much more refined. I don’t remember where I first heard about him but I was intrigued about the process. These boots are sometimes referred to as Wellingtons, two piece and full cut boots. You have to look closely to see there’s nothing but a side seam. There are only a few makers doing these and most learned from him.
071DE3D4-BF4E-469E-86E0-41B06B29C0CC.jpeg
F1410959-B01F-4B67-A90D-BFF83E0F68A5.jpeg
23AC451B-5603-48A6-8439-936EF5CC6CDA.jpeg
D6EACCC6-B9CA-4A9C-960E-C2B6F3E430EC.jpeg
4DAB79E1-9DBB-43E6-A05B-266CFFFB6D42.jpeg
87472902-7B7A-40A3-BB65-7B3A5678A4AE.jpeg
5235C44B-CDFD-4E8C-9A8B-7C351FE7251B.jpeg

Last edited:

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@gnatty8
Re: Heritage boots. Probably a dumb question but is there a real structural difference between men’s and women’s boots in the same model besides sizing? Hoping you know since you’ve said your wife has pairs as well as you.

jimney

Reaction score
Very sad to hear of D.W.'s passing. I first corresponded with him via email in December, and ordered his western bootmaking book in January. A bit of a shock to hear that he passed as I'm reading through the book, and I feel like I'm hearing in his own voice about his methods and philosophy.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@gnatty8
Re: Heritage boots. Probably a dumb question but is there a real structural difference between men’s and women’s boots in the same model besides sizing? Hoping you know since you’ve said your wife has pairs as well as you.

Good question, and besides the fact that I'd expect the women's boots are built on a narrower last, the heel on boots that cut across both the men's and women's lines are different, the women's version is a little higher and a little narrower than the men's version, at least to my eye.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good question, and besides the fact that I'd expect the women's boots are built on a narrower last, the heel on boots that cut across both the men's and women's lines are different, the women's version is a little higher and a little narrower than the men's version, at least to my eye.
Thanks! Saved me some money, time and heartache.

jimney

Reaction score
Well I made my first pair of boots. Went to Albuquerque for two weeks to learn from Deana McGuffin. Had a ton of fun, it was a great experience.

Boots themselves are kangaroo vamp/collar and kid shaft. Inlay is all kid if I remember right - and I used the same metallic green for the side welt. The inlay is the Chicago municipal device, if you've seen the Chicago Theater you've seen it before. Heel is crepe.

This is the first footwear I've had that is custom-fitted to my feet, and fits better than anything else I own. We did some substantial last modifications, using old wooden lasts. Turns out my feet are kind of an unusual size/shape.
6916FAEF-960D-448D-BCD4-A2BF8440B522_1_105_c.jpeg

319547C8-E8E7-48C1-A935-0CC6BF3674FB_1_105_c.jpeg

sajesak

Reaction score
I'm sure you guys are excited to see this thread resurface...not many cowboy boot threads on the board.

Anyway, instead of a pair of Edward Green Westminister Double Monk shoes, I just bought a pair of Lucchese Classics Boots in Nicotine Burnish full quill Ostrich with a round toe and riding heel. This is my first pair of Lucchese's but have a couple pairs of Tony Lama's in Lizard and Snake that are 10 years old.

My wife also bought her first pair of boots and she claims they are the most comfortable and lightest pair of shoes she owns.

Having grown up in Texas and on a ranch, I've always had an affinity for cowboy boots. My father was a lawman and we would go to the prison rodeo every year and he would have a pair of boots made hardwood floor refinishing atlanta...I wish we wore the same size because he has tons of very nice boots.
I haven't the slightest clue why, but recently I've had a desire to purchase a pair of cowboy boots. It really doesn't fit with my style, which is exclusively khakis, collared shirt, fedora, but it is one of those itches... :kick: I am just lucky I haven't happened across my size yet. How bad an idea is it? I was hoping I could depend on The Fedora Lounge to finally convince me not to go through with it and drop the idea all together.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't the slightest clue why, but recently I've had a desire to purchase a pair of cowboy boots. It really doesn't fit with my style, which is exclusively khakis, collared shirt, fedora, but it is one of those itches... :kick: I am just lucky I haven't happened across my size yet. How bad an idea is it? I was hoping I could depend on The Fedora Lounge to finally convince me not to go through with it and drop the idea all together.

If you’re thinking it’s a bad idea, chances are it is, and you won’t wear them. For me, they feel as natural as throwing on a pair of sneakers, but if you’re thinking this hard about it, I’d probably recommend a pass

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads