• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy boots

Bamaboots

Reaction score
I have a modest collection of cowboy boots that I've been accumulating for years. It's a mix of bespoke/MTM's, vintage factory boots; both small and large Co's. and a few pairs from makers I didn't have access to but because I wanted some of their boots, I've taken a chance at auction on a few pairs over the years. I joined this spot when I did because I was trying to find some information on the maker of the below boots. That dried up quickly and my interest around here did as well as it was mostly crickets concerning cowboy boots. Kind of sad considering one of the finest Cowboy Boot makers around spends time on this site. Maybe if Kirby Allison had a bespoke pair made and did a video series on it, the C&TMR's might jump on board . Oh wait, he has.

Anyway, there is a series of these vids covering fit to finish.

These are the boots I was speaking of. Bought off the bay for about $50. Took a few years but I found that Mr. Wilson had put himself through the Boot and Saddle Making trade school at Okmulgee, OK; now closed. He also put himself through barber school. I finally tracked the number down to a barbershop in Cheyenne, WY that was once owned by Mr. Wilson. Unfortunately, he had passed by the time the info came to me.
image7.jpeg
image6.jpeg
image8.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image4.jpeg

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a modest collection of cowboy boots that I've been accumulating for years. It's a mix of bespoke/MTM's, vintage factory boots; both small and large Co's. and a few pairs from makers I didn't have access to but because I wanted some of their boots, I've taken a chance at auction on a few pairs over the years. I joined this spot when I did because I was trying to find some information on the maker of the below boots. That dried up quickly and my interest around here did as well as it was mostly crickets concerning cowboy boots. Kind of sad considering one of the finest Cowboy Boot makers around spends time on this site. Maybe if Kirby Allison had a bespoke pair made and did a video series on it, the C&TMR's might jump on board . Oh wait, he has.

Anyway, there is a series of these vids covering fit to finish.

These are the boots I was speaking of. Bought off the bay for about $50. Took a few years but I found that Mr. Wilson had put himself through the Boot and Saddle Making trade school at Okmulgee, OK; now closed. He also put himself through barber school. I finally tracked the number down to a barbershop in Cheyenne, WY that was once owned by Mr. Wilson. Unfortunately, he had passed by the time the info came to me.
View attachment 1807855 View attachment 1807856 View attachment 1807857 View attachment 1807858 View attachment 1807859

These look great. They also look like they would fit @Texasmade weird ass hobbit stumps.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those top boots are beauties. Curious what you use to keep them looking so good. I use the neutral Alden boot cream on mine, and that usually does the trick, but I know others swear by Bick's stuff, although I've never tried it. The heels on those are perfect IMO. One other thing I've never liked (that those don't seem to suffer from) is an overly wide or flared out shaft.

Bamaboots

Reaction score
Thank you. Nothing too often but I try to wipe them off after every wear, socks work fine and every so often I apply some Bick 4 and that's with exotics and smooth leathers. I won't engage in a leather conditioner debate, it's just what I've been using for years and I've seen some crazy arguments over this. Used Lexol before that but that started with saddles and other gear before I ever started paying a lot of attention to boot care. Both work fine for me. One thing I won't use is saddle soap. If boots need that much cleaning I use liquid Ivory soap. Folks should use whatever they're comfortable with and there are a bunch of products out there. For polish I use Saphir. Crazy color selections. I used to use Meltonian before they went to s....

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you. Nothing too often but I try to wipe them off after every wear, socks work fine and every so often I apply some Bick 4 and that's with exotics and smooth leathers. I won't engage in a leather conditioner debate, it's just what I've been using for years and I've seen some crazy arguments over this. Used Lexol before that but that started with saddles and other gear before I ever started paying a lot of attention to boot care. Both work fine for me. One thing I won't use is saddle soap. If boots need that much cleaning I use liquid Ivory soap. Folks should use whatever they're comfortable with and there are a bunch of products out there. For polish I use Saphir. Crazy color selections. I used to use Meltonian before they went to s....

Yeah, same with Meltonian, which I'd used for shoes, and just didn't seem to do as well as Saphir. The Alden boot cream seems to do the job for me, but I'd assume the formulations of most of these neutral creams are probably pretty close to each other.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A couple of books that will cause you to get off your hip. The boots are 60’s era Tony Lama kangaroo/calf with three rows of stitching, one of which is variegated.
View attachment 1808180 View attachment 1808181 View attachment 1808182 View attachment 1808183 View attachment 1808184 View attachment 1808185 View attachment 1808186

What??? Those are nice man, would almost be enough for me to rock those with a pair of denim short shorts to show off that craftsmanship lol

Bamaboots

Reaction score
What??? Those are nice man, would almost be enough for me to rock those with a pair of denim short shorts to show off that craftsmanship lol

Thanks. Maybe just cuff your jeans a little higher and stay away from the jorts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads