• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy boots

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't know why this comes up in every shoe thread.

Half of CM nowadays is just dedicated to shoes. I can't think of a single thread anymore dedicated to discussing how to dress. This is is on a forum called StyleForum. In the past, Manton had that Good Taste thread, which was about how to dress. Some members made "weekly summaries" highlighting good WAYWT outfits. There were many discussions here about how to dress well.

Now half the front page is just dedicated to shoes. In any of these shoe threads, if you bring up this question of how to wear a certain shoe style well, you will be met with two answers:

1. I wear them however I want and any time I damn please
2. I wear them with suits, sport coats, tailored trousers, chinos, and jeans (no one ever says shorts because sartorial gentlemen don't wear shorts). There is often little to no discernment here, just a list of nearly every type of clothing.

If you push back and suggest there may be better ways to wear certain styles, you will get piled on. People will be very upset at the idea that there are better and worse ways to wear shoes. (I was recently in the TLB thread, where, for the first time, I saw some discussion that maybe oxfords aren't the best with jeans, but this is a very rare instance).

I don't get why the forum has become like this. It may be that cowboy boots are the exception and you can really wear them with whatever. But could it be that this forum is now just a "shoe forum" full of people who are averse to this discussion?

If you were to ask:

1. How do I buy these shoes
2. How are these shoes made

You will be met with dissertations. People will write long answers about how to import shoes from Romania and how the leather was tanned. But if you ask "what are some better ways to wear this style," people are dismissive at best. In @DWFII's post, he calls me prejudicial. I don't even know what I would be prejudicial against. But @Jmr928 just mentioned that he went through Lucchese's IG tags and saw some bad outfits. I have tried combing through IG accounts and seen the same. If someone is spending so much money on these things, why not take the time to figure out how to look good in them?

I'm not asking people to post photos of themselves. I don't post photos of my outfits and respect people's desire to be anonymous. I also try to not post outfits here that I dislike, as think that's needlessly mean (at least when they involve real people and not models). But if people think the more elaborately styled boots can be worn well, what's wrong with asking for examples?

Back in the day, there was an AAAC member who listed the clothes he wore every day. So he'd list something like "Kiton sport coat, John Lobb shoes, Hermes scarf, etc." It would just be a list. Then one day he posted a photo and ... the outfit looked quite bad. This happened for a while at The London Lounge. Back in the day, people didn't post outfits, they just described what they wore. But when people finally posted photos, clearly some people were well dressed while others were not. It can be up to the viewer to decide what is aesthetically pleasing and not, but clearly, words are not enough to convey an outfit.

Anyway, if people don't want to discuss how to wear cowboy boots well, I'm fine with that. I'll take this discussion elsewhere. I vaguely suspected that this is not the right thread for it anyway.
I do wonder if it’s just something being lost in translation/interpretation - in your initial post you asked for stylish outfits. Don’t want to put words in your mouth but suspect to you this just means well put together, not sloppy, doesn’t clash too much. A coherent outfit that looks good whether it’s denim and a t shirt with boots or a suit with boots. At least that’s how I interpreted it. To others, I wonder if they thought you meant a more traditional style of some sort and drew their own conclusions about what you’d think is stylish based on some of the replies.

IMO boots work with most outfits, but not all outfits work. You’d be hard pressed to find an outfit that just gets killed by adding a pair of boots (shorts excepted IMO) but adding a pair of boots to a **** outfit doesn’t save it either. A lot of the outfits I saw that I didn’t like weren’t made worse by the boots but were just not outfits in general to my taste. I’ve got a high tolerance for rhinestones and thicc stitching and embroidery from growing up in the west but some of the stuff I saw was a bridge too far.

There are some considerations I have like a wide enough leg opening that my trousers or jeans don’t burst out like a puffer fish when I put them over but aside from that they’re pretty interchangeable. I snapped some pictures for some friends the other day discussing what an appropriate leg opening would be to pull off boots and I think I settled on 7.5+ - maybe 7 with a really heavy denim or better yet just buy some boot cut jeans and roll with it. You basically want to avoid this which I took just to show how the clothes can ruin it. This color though in a wider leg opening would be great.

7EA5B5C6-C669-41D9-83EE-41DADED89664.jpeg

There are certain types of boots I am not much a fan of for my purposes - for example las botas picudas, something with an overly square toe box or something with a ton of toe spring. I’m not a huge fan of some materials (but that comes down to taste.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 80s TV show Dallas is filled with western wear inspiration (and for the first few seasons is pretty entertaining.)
9C718452-3C0E-4574-90A7-1224AAEC37F6.jpeg

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't know why this comes up in every shoe thread.

Half of CM nowadays is just dedicated to shoes. I can't think of a single thread anymore dedicated to discussing how to dress. This is is on a forum called StyleForum. In the past, Manton had that Good Taste thread, which was about how to dress. Some members made "weekly summaries" highlighting good WAYWT outfits. There were many discussions here about how to dress well.

Now half the front page is just dedicated to shoes. In any of these shoe threads, if you bring up this question of how to wear a certain shoe style well, you will be met with two answers:

1. I wear them however I want and any time I damn please
2. I wear them with suits, sport coats, tailored trousers, chinos, and jeans (no one ever says shorts because sartorial gentlemen don't wear shorts). There is often little to no discernment here, just a list of nearly every type of clothing.

If you push back and suggest there may be better ways to wear certain styles, you will get piled on. People will be very upset at the idea that there are better and worse ways to wear shoes. (I was recently in the TLB thread, where, for the first time, I saw some discussion that maybe oxfords aren't the best with jeans, but this is a very rare instance).

I don't get why the forum has become like this. It may be that cowboy boots are the exception and you can really wear them with whatever. But could it be that this forum is now just a "shoe forum" full of people who are averse to this discussion?

If you were to ask:

1. How do I buy these shoes
2. How are these shoes made

You will be met with dissertations. People will write long answers about how to import shoes from Romania and how the leather was tanned. But if you ask "what are some better ways to wear this style," people are dismissive at best. In @DWFII's post, he calls me prejudicial. I don't even know what I would be prejudicial against. But @Jmr928 just mentioned that he went through Lucchese's IG tags and saw some bad outfits. I have tried combing through IG accounts and seen the same. If someone is spending so much money on these things, why not take the time to figure out how to look good in them?

I'm not asking people to post photos of themselves. I don't post photos of my outfits and respect people's desire to be anonymous. I also try to not post outfits here that I dislike, as think that's needlessly mean (at least when they involve real people and not models). But if people think the more elaborately styled boots can be worn well, what's wrong with asking for examples?

Back in the day, there was an AAAC member who listed the clothes he wore every day. So he'd list something like "Kiton sport coat, John Lobb shoes, Hermes scarf, etc." It would just be a list. Then one day he posted a photo and ... the outfit looked quite bad. This happened for a while at The London Lounge. Back in the day, people didn't post outfits, they just described what they wore. But when people finally posted photos, clearly some people were well dressed while others were not. It can be up to the viewer to decide what is aesthetically pleasing and not, but clearly, words are not enough to convey an outfit.

Anyway, if people don't want to discuss how to wear cowboy boots well, I'm fine with that. I'll take this discussion elsewhere. I vaguely suspected that this is not the right thread for it anyway.
Honestly if you just wear boots with jeans (don’t tuck the jeans into your boots) and a casual button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up, you’ll look pretty put together 90% of the time. I think you’re over thinking it a little.

All of the hand tooling on the boot shaft really won’t matter since most people won’t see it and if they do I doubt they’ll say you look like ****. It’s a little different than with crazy socks. More likely they’ll ask to see it. Anyone that knows about boots knows that the hand tooling is an art in of itself and will appreciate the craftsmanship that went into it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Honestly if you just wear boots with jeans (don’t tuck the jeans into your boots) and a casual button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up, you’ll look pretty put together 90% of the time. I think you’re over thinking it a little.

All of the hand tooling on the boot shaft really won’t matter since most people won’t see it and if they do I doubt they’ll say you look like ****. It’s a little different than with crazy socks. More likely they’ll ask to see it. Anyone that knows about boots knows that the hand tooling is an art in of itself and will appreciate the craftsmanship that went into it.

What about Western shirts? No rules? Can I get one from Charvet?

The 80s TV show Dallas is filled with western wear inspiration (and for the first few seasons is pretty entertaining.)

A friend mentioned that show to me tongue-in-cheek after I mentioned that I like cowboy boots, but after I saw some clips, I think that show is actually pretty great for style inspiration. Not sure I can pull off the outfits in that show, but it's a stylish show.

clothingfun

Reaction score
But then do people have photos of people wearing such elaborately decorated boots well? I'm just asking for photos of the outfits. Not saying that they can't be worn well, but there are certain outfits I've seen where I think the person looks :uhoh: . And other outfits where I think the person looks great. Not convinced that you can't miss with these styles. So happy to check out images of people wearing the elaborately decorated boots in outfits they think work.

Hello and I hope you are well. I believe it will be somewhat difficult in a way for me to provide you with the information or help you may be looking for but I'll try a little.

I say this because, as I've mentioned previously, due to where and how I was raised, cowboy boots are all I have ever worn and I have never owned a pair of dress shoes. Therefore they are a genuine "look" for me and I really do wear them with everything. Well, except for huaraches occasionally as I like huaraches with linen britches. Oh...and I never wear cowboy boots with short pants! Joke!

If you search around both the WAYWT threads, the "regular" as well as the "casual," I have posted a few photos of me wearing cowboy boots with various garments, including a three piece suit.

Feel free to search and check them out and see what you think and if you have any questions I can help with.

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A big piece of it is what are you trying to accomplish? Dunno about you but when I see boots the majority of the time it’s someone wearing a sport shirt with the sleeves rolled up and jeans, a PFG with chinos or jeans and Costas, jeans and a t shirt or a suit. Looks fine with all of those. Maybe they throw on a trucker or a Barbour or carhart if it’s cold out. The exception is the rodeo, a concert, the old dude in a small town, the ranch or stables, or some country bar full of drunk college kids and a mechanical bull where people throw on a costume and break out the hat. When I think the actual cowboys I went to school with? Hell they still wear affliction and that kind of thing. Not exactly who I look for to get style cues.

Last edited:

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure where to even begin. I own a pair of western boots - Lucchese Classics (style L0607 which appears to be discontinued or perhaps they're now called the Devin). They're pretty subdued for cowboy boots but feel a bit costumey to me, because ... I'm not a ... cowboy.

They've happily sat in the depths of my closet unloved and unworn until today. I am going to a working ranch with some friends in a few weeks and Mrs. Unf said it was now or never to wear these guys. I'm trying to come to terms with whether I do bring and wear them or not. Pulled them out of the closet and threw them on and they aren't obviously uncomfortable although they do seem a bit loose around the foot. If I recall correctly, when I originally got these I had to try a few sizes before settling on these but that was more than a decade ago.

So first things first, would these suckers require a breakin period? Do I need boot socks or can I just wear thin OTC socks?

Assuming they are in fact wearable, and I end up taking them, am I right to think they should be limited to jeans wearing with jeans? The only other pants I can think of wearing them with (that I'll be bringing) would be Taylor Stitch chore pants or camp pants (made out of duck canvas). In case it matters, and I honestly have no idea if it does, the ranch I'm going to is more like Montana than Texas. Also, for what it's worth, mine have a decent amount of fauxtina so they don't look like the freshies in the picture below, although it's most noticeable in the shaft.

221008a28639ac2aab6360d14af56738.jpg

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure where to even begin. I own a pair of western boots - Lucchese Classics (style L0607 which appears to be discontinued or perhaps they're now called the Devin). They're pretty subdued for cowboy boots but feel a bit costumey to me, because ... I'm not a ... cowboy.

They've happily sat in the depths of my closet unloved and unworn until today. I am going to a working ranch with some friends in a few weeks and Mrs. Unf said it was now or never to wear these guys. I'm trying to come to terms with whether I do bring and wear them or not. Pulled them out of the closet and threw them on and they aren't obviously uncomfortable although they do seem a bit loose around the foot. If I recall correctly, when I originally got these I had to try a few sizes before settling on these but that was more than a decade ago.

So first things first, would these suckers require a breakin period? Do I need boot socks or can I just wear thin OTC socks?

Assuming they are in fact wearable, and I end up taking them, am I right to think they should be limited to jeans wearing with jeans? The only other pants I can think of wearing them with (that I'll be bringing) would be Taylor Stitch chore pants or camp pants (made out of duck canvas). In case it matters, and I honestly have no idea if it does, the ranch I'm going to is more like Montana than Texas. Also, for what it's worth, mine have a decent amount of fauxtina so they don't look like the freshies in the picture below, although it's most noticeable in the shaft.

I have exactly one pair of cowboy boots so definitely new at this. Since you say they're loose around the foot, I'd just find a sock that took up some of that space. As far as breaking them in, I'd wear them around the house now. Your heel will probably slip some but that should get better once the sole bends but I've been told you'll always have a little heel slip.
I say bring them and wear them with jeans or those duck canvas pants. They look like nice boots to me.

DG123

Reaction score
. Pulled them out of the closet and threw them on and they aren't obviously uncomfortable although they do seem a bit loose around the foot.
My guess is that the boots are too wide of a width size for you. Proper fit western/cowboy boots fit snug , so that the foot's instep is "held" by the boot and the ball of the foot is snug, so no "looseness" at the instep or ball of the foot.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I pretty much only wear my boots with boot socks. Given you said they feel too big that should help (at least more than thin OTC socks would.) As for pairing them - wear whatever pants you’ll wear on the ranch. I like pants and boots if I’m in tall grass so boot cut jeans or duck canvas are both fine. The good part about boots is they kind of go with whatever and you don’t need to overthink it and beat those boots up.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. They aren't really that loose around the forefoot, it's more ankle/heel. I will try on with different socks and hopefully find some time to break them in before the trip. The good news is that I agree with younger me that these are the right style of boot. I couldn't remember if I had chosen really simple ropers or not and I definitely prefer this style given that they will remain my only western boots. It might be fun to have a wilder pair but that doesn't really fit with my personal brand lol.

dako

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. They aren't really that loose around the forefoot, it's more ankle/heel. I will try on with different socks and hopefully find some time to break them in before the trip. The good news is that I agree with younger me that these are the right style of boot. I couldn't remember if I had chosen really simple ropers or not and I definitely prefer this style given that they will remain my only western boots. It might be fun to have a wilder pair but that doesn't really fit with my personal brand lol.

Wear them. Those are expensive, high quality boots and they deserve it. Frankly, most people aren't cowboys and people wear baseball caps and basketball shoes all the time without ever participating in the sport. I haven't been on a horse in years, but I've got at least 5 pairs of boots - although most of them have roper heels. That said, I'm originally from Oklahoma.

Definitely get some boot socks - Tecovas makes great ones. Put the boots on and go scuff the bottoms up on some asphalt or gravel before you get out there.. The looseness you're feeling around the ankle heel could be the slippage that does (and should) occur in new boots. As you break the leather in the heel will become more flexible and move with your foot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads