• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy boots

DG123

Reaction score
@DG123 Those look great. Rios makes a nice boot.

What's the leather on that first pair?

Are they all their Milan toe?

Thank you for the kind reply :)
Approximately 10 years ago I was on a quest for an excellent fitting boot and came to learn Rios of Mercedes had a good reputation. I called a Rios dealer in Ft. Worth, Texas and he suggested I try an A width boot with Milan toe. He sent me the first pair pictured, which was a make up that his store stocked. I found this remarkable because of the several boot dealers I contacted none of them carried B width boots, much less the A and AA widths his store stocked. He did not own the store but was in charge of the boot department and ordered the narrow widths because he was a fitter and knew plenty of men were wearing boots too wide for them , but once they were fit properly they would appreciate it and buy the boots.
Rios of Mercedes is a relatively small company and allows dealers to do make up orders with as few as 6 pairs ordered. The second boot photograph I posted is of a color (chocolate suede) I suggested to him for which he ordered one pair for me and the other 5 pair for his store. You asked about the first boot and I will find out the name for it. It is cow leather embossed to look something like corduroy.
Here is a link to Rios of Mercedes Instagram :https://www.instagram.com/riosofmercedes1853/?hl=en

DG123

Reaction score
@DG123 Those look great. Rios makes a nice boot.

What's the leather on that first pair?

Are they all their Milan toe?

Frank,
The Rios of Mercedes box for the pair in the first photograph reads Macho Mule foot and Fandango Bay top. All three pairs are the same style, that is 11" height with Milano 2 walking heel.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Frank,
The Rios of Mercedes box for the pair in the first photograph reads Macho Mule foot and Fandango Bay top. All three pairs are the same style, that is 11" height with Milano 2 walking heel.
Thanks. That’s a neat leather. Hadn’t seen it before.

Good to hear Ríos was able to get you such a good fit.

I really like their Milano toe.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Hello All. I’m looking for a low profile suede roper. I really like the low key profile of the lucchese bannock in Comanche suede but I’m a bit concerned about the last and sizing (and value at $500) since I just had to sell my lucchese handmade classics roper since it did not fit well. I’m not close to any dealers so it would have to be mail order. Thinking about going up a 1/2 size. Here’s a pic of the bannock

0EAC0F04-DA16-4C95-A349-33E15D100B43.jpeg

other options could be the the Anderson bean roper at 500 but the color seems a bit light to me....

finally if the bannock is just a generic branded lucchese, I could also consider the Rujo or even tecovas version....

any thoughts opinions appreciated. Thanks

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

kbuzz

Reaction score
I have to agree. Heritage is definitely a very close second for me, but yeah, Rios just makes a solid, classic, well-made Western boot. You have to hunt and peck around the square toe versions they seem to make a ton of, but when you can find their ropers or a nice classic snip toe, they do it better than most.

plus one on heritage , wonderful boots , made at a very high level

4B8E2764-9E64-48A4-B4E4-87C47AE6D0F7.jpeg

Attachments

• FDFEFEC1-8CAA-4F36-9A6F-7EB2E15061CE.jpeg
    FDFEFEC1-8CAA-4F36-9A6F-7EB2E15061CE.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 25

DG123

Reaction score
Hello All. I’m looking for a low profile suede roper. I really like the low key profile of the lucchese bannock in Comanche suede but I’m a bit concerned about the last and sizing (and value at $500) since I just had to sell my lucchese handmade classics roper since it did not fit well. I’m not close to any dealers so it would have to be mail order. Thinking about going up a 1/2 size. Here’s a pic of the bannock

View attachment 1595670
other options could be the the Anderson bean roper at 500 but the color seems a bit light to me....

finally if the bannock is just a generic branded lucchese, I could also consider the Rujo or even tecovas version....

any thoughts opinions appreciated. Thanks

What size was the Lucchese roper that did not provide a good fit ?

clothingfun

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just wanted to say great to see some activity here and thanks to all for sharing.

I have boots from Rios and Los Altos and I think they are both great. I'm not familiar with Heritage. Maybe I'll have to check them out.

DG123

Reaction score

"Go long and you won't be wrong" is a common expression for western boot fitting. For example, if 9D is not a good fit then 9.5C or 10B might provide a better fit. The idea is that each time one tries a longer length size, so too should the width become more narrow.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Nice mine are the Santiago's in the French toe version

Not sure I can pull off a snip toe ...and bring in New York doesn't help much

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics