• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy boots

Hannerhan

Reaction score
I think they would be a little too showy for me personally (my only pair of J.B. Hills are the 2k5 shells which are very plain other than the silver conchos on the pulls), but dude those are awesome. Congrats. :slayer:

And if I ever do a pair of customs with them I will definitely consider putting those ants (or something similar) on the pulls. Very unique and a nice touch.

Greg613

Reaction score

Anteater boots with ants on the pulls. That is amazing.

Those are a great pair of boots.

OCULUS

Reaction score
Just found this Sandhills Boot Company's vid on another website and thought it interesting. I gather one needs to go to Etsy to see his work in detail.

NB: I just went to Etsy and cannot find any listing for Sandhills. I'm not very familiar with Etsy, but thought a search would turn him up. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:

Swan Song

Reaction score

Well, as advertised/warned a couple of posts back, I am busting out of my conservative (eastern) boot style. My first custom-designed J. B. Hill's arrived today, and they are even more spectacular--and fun-- than I had hoped. They are cognac and chocolate, based on their "cattails" triad design, to which I added some whimsey in the pull department. I call them my "picnic boots" and you get to be the first to see them. I'll be curious about your collective reaction.

And no, there ain't no more. These were their last pair of hides.

Nice boots. Definitly a bust out boot. Congrats, I love the look of anteater.

Swan Song

Reaction score
Vintage suede boot made for Levi's(of blue-jean fame) with a high quality, soft, smooth leather lining.

OCULUS

Reaction score

Spaghetti Westerns!

I had a pair of Italian cowboys once and put them on ePrey almost immediately. They were just not comfortable for my E-width (their usual narrow last cut, I suspect), and like these, the tapered shape of the forefoot just looks fancy/odd to me.

Great looking calf and craftsmanship though. Were they purchased here or in Italy? I know of a couple of high-end western stores in Switzerland and France--but they all sell high-end American boots (Stallion, J. B. Hill, etc.)

OCULUS

Reaction score
Lugged soles on cowboy boots are being pushed more heavily this year by Back at the Ranch, Santa Fe. I just can't get used to them, and of course, question their utility (suede stains so badly with salt and of course, they are not lined).

I find other shoes and boots to wear once we get serious snow and ice here, so I can appreciate the concept, but really think they look strange.

Anyone have any thoughts on these?

Last edited:

srgprod

Reaction score

Vintage suede boot made for Levi's(of blue-jean fame) with a high quality, soft, smooth leather lining.

How do those fit? I've been looking at this brand and those boots for some time but was curious about the quality and fit. Any issues?

OCULUS

Reaction score
Speaking of Italian Cowboys above, I finally got to wear and break in a pair of well-made Spanish riding/cowboy boots yesterday. I got them last spring from Yoox at a seriously reduced price (I had first ordered them at a minor $ reduction and decided they weren't worth the $$; but later when the bottom fell out, I reordered them, unreturnable, for about $85). Really like the rich darker brown finish...and rubber sole inset permits use on my motorcycle.

They are comfortable and well made, though they grab me in different spots than American boots (I like their narrower heel, but forefoot is going to take some break-in for full width comfort). The brand is (Calzados) Alvarez, and I include the label. Note placement of pulls to the rear; kinda like that effect, but they are roomy enough across my high instep that I don't have to Y&S--yank and stomp. Anyone ever run across them??

niolopua

Reaction score
Ray Jones, burnt orange/brown Kangaroo vamps and uppers. I love these boots.

Toe bugs

niolopua

Reaction score
Pablo Jass - shark skin vamps and calf skin tops. These boots feel indestructible. And yes, they fit great.

niolopua

Reaction score

Thanks Hannerhan. These pics of my second pair of Ray Jones boots - cognac/brown calf skin with small box toe and five rows of top stitching.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads