1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cowboy boots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mram65, Mar 6, 2002.

1. tsaw15

tsaw15 New Member

Here are my two pairs of every day boots.

Both are custom fitted and made by Honcho boots in El Paso, Texas

1. Every day/ work boot: Buffalo vamps with embossed floral tops (Buffalo is super soft and comfortable, but not as tough as durable)

2. Dress boot: Bull Shoulder vamps with embossed weave kangaroo tops. Initial inlay on inside of each ankle in bone.

Swan, Im looking to order some new work boots. I am considering elephant & hippo. What do you suggest?

2. chicken1616

chicken1616 Senior member

As promised, some photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

White's 690 Packers in Brown Smooth,
    Drew's Buckaroo Packers in Red Dog, Black, and Rawhide,
    Hathorn Bullhide Cowboy in Red Dog,
    Hathorn Rancher Western Pull-on in Brown Bison, and
    White;s 690 Packers in Sienna Water Buffalo and Bullhide.

1 person likes this.
  3. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Oh, so this forum DOES have a western boot thread. This post made me want to get out my Noconas - love those things to death they fit so well. For a while I was wearing them multiple times to work but people gave me too much crap about them so I stopped (we're not anywhere near the south/west of the country). For anyone on the fence, if you find the right pair, they are the best, trust me on that. If you can get the right fit, Lucchese has some truly great exotic skin boots out there. Something about these - would I spend $650 on AE Dalton cord? Probably not. Would I spend over $1000 on exotic Luchese or Old Gringo? Hell yeah!

4. mizzy33

mizzy33 Member

Sweet collection! I've been looking at getting a pair of the pull ons... (tax return? hmmm) Thanks for sharing the pictures!

5. chicken1616

I know a lot of people take some flack for wearing Western style clothing, particularly in some parts of the country. But I feel Western clothing is just as authentic(or more) than anything else. There are lots of people wearing "work" clothing and especially boots, that don't do physical labor. I was born in Dallas, live in Colorado, and work for the railroad in what were formerly Denver & Rio Grande Western shops. If I can't wear it......
    There are lots of pretentious things with clothing. Western is no more and probably a lot less pretentious than other things.

6. clotheshorse69

clotheshorse69 Senior member

I'm going to say yes. It's definitely a regional thing, but considered classic.

7. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

You know what? I said the hell with it and I wore my Noconas all day today even with the bad weather. They are the best - better than my Red Wings or Daltons. No question whatsoever.

8. chicken1616

I wear what I want to, also. Life is too short.

9. clotheshorse69

clotheshorse69 Senior member

Cowboy boots are more do-able with streetwear, less confines and all that

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  10. conak

conak Well-Known Member

Can you comment on the difference between the Hathorn Cowboys and the Hathorn rancher westerns? Obviously the rancher has extra detailing switched at the top, but looks like the toe curls a bit more and maybe more narrow? Also seems the rancher is balanced mor to the heel? What differences have you noticed in construction and fit?

11. tsaw15

tsaw15 New Member

Crown Boot Company

Does anyone have any knowledge of this company? I see a good amount of vintage boots with this brand name, and they seem to be well made. However, I can't find any information on the company online.

Any help or info is appreciated!

Thanks

12. Chawk806

Chawk806 Senior member

Sweet boots!! I have tons of regular western boots but nothing like these bad boys!! Love them

13. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

It's been nearly a year since I was named 2015 Bootmaker of the Year and I thought I'd post a little portfolio of the boots that were shown at the awards ceremony and which impressed the judges. This was supposed to be an award and a recognition of a "lifetime of work." But some of my best work was done before I had a good camera.
    Click on them if you want a closer look.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  14. PaintSplattered

PaintSplattered Senior member

Absolutely stunning work! Bravo! Since I've joined here I hadn't seen you around, and I remembered seeing brief glimpses of your work before while searching this forum.

15. Chawk806

Chawk806 Senior member

Just love seeing all these hot western boots.

16. comrade

comrade Senior member

The second boot in the first row image #201 is a Spanish
    style, correct? It has no seams in the front. When I lived in Ecuador
    over 40 years ago that type of boot was worn by horsemen
    as an alternative to English style boots . In Bullfights the
    mounted Picadors wore such boots.

17. DWFII

That's what is known (correctly) as a "Full Wellington." AFAIK, it first appeared on the scene in the very early 19th century. I don't know of any hard evidence for earlier examples anywhere in the world. The style was made popular by Arthur Wellesley--The First Duke of Wellington--in the wake of his defeat of Napoleon at Waterloo in 1815. The first full Wellingtons were made by a famous shoemaker in Britain--Hoby, on St. James Street.

All sideseam boots are now technically known as wellingtons. All typical cowboy boots are technically wellingtons. There is some evidence that the sideseamed boot originated in Eastern Europe. The British and most of Europe in the 18th century preferred the "Hessian" boot which is backseamed. In the wake of Wellington's victory, the FW became, for a time, the most popular boot throughout most of western Europe

The Full Wellington differs from the more common dress wellington in that it is comprised of only two pieces. The dress wellington is comprised of vamp, counter, front panel and back panel. The full wellington is front and back, period--any additional pieces are ornamental and, at bottom, non-functional or non-critical to the construction of the boot..

The Full Wellington was the man's boot in the early to mid 19th century in the US and the historical forerunner of what we call the "cowboy boot." It was worn by cavalry officers on both sides of the "Late Unpleasantness" --AKA the Am. Civil War.

It is a very difficult style of boot to make esp. in bona fide shoe leathers...as opposed to leathers more commonly used for garments and upholstery. There are only a few makers in the world who make it. And even fewer who make it a central part of their repertoire. It is very nearly a lost art.

Yes, some makers in Spain and S. America (and elsewhere) make such boots. But again, I do not believe that there is any objective evidence to support the notion that it originated anywhere but in England or possibly Eastern Europe.[ As an aside, there seems to be a widespread belief that cowboy boots can be traced back to Spanish origins. It is a common but mistaken notion. Historians...esp. shoe historians...who have looked into this have found little by way of evidence to support that notion.]

I have made FW for over 30 years. In contemporary times, I wrote the book on how to do it.

The second and third photos in row five and the third photo in row six are all technically Full Wellingtons (variations on a theme), as well.

And FWIW, the first photo in the last row is a backseamed cowboy boot ...in the spirit of the Hessian boot. This was a very popular style in the early 20th century as it gave the maker (and the customer) a broad canvas to be creative.

edited for punctuation and clarity

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  18. DWFII

Long as I'm thinking about it...

Just finished this pair of crocodile boots for my "oil baron" customer--his 8th? pair. Cocodile, French calf and 8/8" heel.

He has roses on his ranch and while the colours in this photo are not quite right, the actual roses on the boots are a perfect match for the real life flowers...at least according to him. (don't know what happened to the colour...the camera catches it perfect one time and not another.

[​IMG]

Here's another pair in the works as a graduation gift for his son in March. Elephant and Spanish calf...and the roses.

[​IMG]

19. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Beautiful stuff. I wish I could afford a pair of your full wellingtons. Still holding the dream of taking the class with you someday too.

Fwiw, I had heard the cowboy boot was of Spanish origin too. Were some of the elements Spanish, like perhaps the pointed toe or decorative stitching?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  20. DWFII

Strictly speaking, Spanish...probably not. But there surely was some "cross-pollination" with Mexico. That said, brightly coloured tops were already there on Hessian boots--yellows and reds--from the 1700's . And we can find oddly familiar decorative stitching on contemporaneous Eastern European examples.

The pointed toe is probably a universal among working horsemen who ride with a stirrup. It allows you to find that offside stirrup with out looking and "on the fly," so to speak. I suspect it arose in many divergent cultures independently of any cross-cultural influences.

Probably the greatest external influence on cowboy boots was the influx of German immigrants into the hill country of Texas. The square box toe (not to be confused with a "toe box") is, AFAIK, found nowhere else but in German and American SW footwear.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015