1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cowboy boots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mram65, Mar 6, 2002.

1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I have a couple of pair of Lucchese Boots, there just another option is all. I'll wear them every once in awhile.

2. OCULUS

OCULUS Well-Known Member

(I mistakenly posted this earlier as a NEW THREAD and saw it wind up on the main board; I repeat post it here where someone may have some experience to contribute.)

Hi All,
    This morning, I pulled on a pair of olive jeans and matched up a pair Lucchese sueded crocs. Walking the dogs, they got fairly wet in the cool morning dew and have now dried out nicely, but that got me to wondering if anyone has any long-term experience with sueded exotics? Any staining or rubbed-bare spots? Have you tired to "clean" them with a metal brush or sponge?

[​IMG]

Wearability-wise, these green ones are by far my most fru-fru kicks, but they are less ostentatious than the first pair I tried on at Stallion in ElPaso, and another pair of olive green under-layed filligrees at Back at the Ranch in Santa Fe. They are very soft and comfortable and I like the stitching, but, they are still........green.

Any thoughts on practicality or versatility of sueded exotic hide boots?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  3. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

Now I know what to get the man that has everything, should the occasion ever arise when I'm in this pickle with someone. Wow those are unique (and awesome).

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  4. Gerry

Gerry Senior member

14 years ago while on my hols in the states I went into a shop in Stockton, California, Mickeys boots was the name of the shop I think. Anyway I purchased a pair of Tony Lama bullhide boots but while there I fitted on a pair of Lucchese boots that just cost too much at the time but they were the most comfortable cowboy boots I ever had the pleasure of introducing to my feet.

5. OCULUS

OCULUS Well-Known Member

Well, as advertised/warned a couple of posts back, I am busting out of my conservative (eastern) boot style. My first custom-designed J. B. Hill's arrived today, and they are even more spectacular--and fun-- than I had hoped. They are cognac and chocolate, based on their "cattails" triad design, to which I added some whimsey in the pull department. I call them my "picnic boots" and you get to be the first to see them. I'll be curious about your collective reaction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And no, there ain't no more. These were their last pair of hides.

6. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

I think they would be a little too showy for me personally (my only pair of J.B. Hills are the 2k5 shells which are very plain other than the silver conchos on the pulls), but dude those are awesome. Congrats. :slayer:

And if I ever do a pair of customs with them I will definitely consider putting those ants (or something similar) on the pulls. Very unique and a nice touch.

7. Greg613

Greg613 Senior member

Anteater boots with ants on the pulls. That is amazing.

Those are a great pair of boots.

8. OCULUS

OCULUS Well-Known Member

Just found this Sandhills Boot Company's vid on another website and thought it interesting. I gather one needs to go to Etsy to see his work in detail.

NB: I just went to Etsy and cannot find any listing for Sandhills. I'm not very familiar with Etsy, but thought a search would turn him up. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  9. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Nice boots. Definitly a bust out boot. Congrats, I love the look of anteater.

10. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Vintage suede boot made for Levi's(of blue-jean fame) with a high quality, soft, smooth leather lining.

[​IMG]

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

12. OCULUS

OCULUS Well-Known Member

Spaghetti Westerns!

I had a pair of Italian cowboys once and put them on ePrey almost immediately. They were just not comfortable for my E-width (their usual narrow last cut, I suspect), and like these, the tapered shape of the forefoot just looks fancy/odd to me.

Great looking calf and craftsmanship though. Were they purchased here or in Italy? I know of a couple of high-end western stores in Switzerland and France--but they all sell high-end American boots (Stallion, J. B. Hill, etc.)

13. OCULUS

OCULUS Well-Known Member

Lugged soles on cowboy boots are being pushed more heavily this year by Back at the Ranch, Santa Fe. I just can't get used to them, and of course, question their utility (suede stains so badly with salt and of course, they are not lined).

I find other shoes and boots to wear once we get serious snow and ice here, so I can appreciate the concept, but really think they look strange.

Anyone have any thoughts on these?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  14. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    ^^^ Lugs on cowboy boots? Yuck.

15. srgprod

srgprod Senior member

How do those fit? I've been looking at this brand and those boots for some time but was curious about the quality and fit. Any issues?

16. OCULUS

OCULUS Well-Known Member

Speaking of Italian Cowboys above, I finally got to wear and break in a pair of well-made Spanish riding/cowboy boots yesterday. I got them last spring from Yoox at a seriously reduced price (I had first ordered them at a minor $ reduction and decided they weren't worth the $$; but later when the bottom fell out, I reordered them, unreturnable, for about $85). Really like the rich darker brown finish...and rubber sole inset permits use on my motorcycle.

They are comfortable and well made, though they grab me in different spots than American boots (I like their narrower heel, but forefoot is going to take some break-in for full width comfort). The brand is (Calzados) Alvarez, and I include the label. Note placement of pulls to the rear; kinda like that effect, but they are roomy enough across my high instep that I don't have to Y&S--yank and stomp. Anyone ever run across them??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. niolopua

niolopua New Member

Ray Jones, burnt orange/brown Kangaroo vamps and uppers. I love these boots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Toe bugs

[​IMG]

18. niolopua

niolopua New Member

Pablo Jass - shark skin vamps and calf skin tops. These boots feel indestructible. And yes, they fit great.

[​IMG]

19. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

Those are both money.

20. niolopua

niolopua New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks Hannerhan. These pics of my second pair of Ray Jones boots - cognac/brown calf skin with small box toe and five rows of top stitching.
    [​IMG]