1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cowboy boots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mram65, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    Whoa. Shell cordovan cowboy boots? Very nice.

2. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

I've never seen a pair in the wild, post some pictures when the waves start to form. And tell us about how long the breakin period was.

What design to the tops did you pick? Pictures of those,also.

3. suitedcboy

suitedcboy Senior member

I think my horses would be pissed if I showed up in cordovan boots.

4. Layered Player

Layered Player Senior member

Born and raised in SE TX and have been wearing boots since I could walk...Lucchese is all my father would buy as he had an 11.5 B foot. I have a pair of their Classics that I LOVE but don't wear much and some Justin Ropers that get worn almost every other day. Both fit like a glove as I went down a half size.

As a kid the old man bought me Dan Post bull hides because they wore like iron and were cheap enough to replace as I grew. Tony Lama calf was the first boot I paid for myself.

5. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

Haven't worn them yet so here is the only pic I have so far. Will post more when I wear them and when they start to break in.

[​IMG]

6. jmonroestyle

jmonroestyle Senior member

Nice to see this thread revived!

Just thought I would post a link to a few of the boots I designed, and then had made by various boot companies.

http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac155/JBoots37/Boots/

The large majority of the boots I own have either been made, or relasted by a bootmaker in Raymondville, Texas. My feet swell lots during the course of a day, so I favor the Southwest approach of a looser fitting instep. Also, since I have a flat foot and a low instep, my boots go on and off very easily. I also find a wider top (shaft) more comfortable around my ankle bones. It has taken me many years, $$$, and trips to Texas and the Southwest to figure out what sort of boot fit works best for me.

I gave up on trying to find RTW cowboy boots years ago, as nothing I tried on made in a stock size (no matter the brand) fit properly, and caused foot pain. Now that I have gone the custom route, my boots are comfortable, and give me lots of enjoyment.

Cowboy boot wearers will usually agree that a great looking, great fitting, well made boot is wonderful to wear, and great for one's "attitude factor". :)

J

7. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

Here's one of my new ones in action.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  8. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

I see you added the concho, a good accent. Love the boots. Wear them in good health and post pictures all along.

I like conchos......[​IMG]

And a great vintage San Antonio Lucchese in elephant. Stovepipe top with a nice elephant overlay and classic Lucchese French toe.

[​IMG]

9. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Lucchese San Antonio belly cut gator on the bias. Alligator tip to stovepipe top in deep brown. Pulls and pull decoration even in alligator.
    Lucchese's tapered French toe. Only worn on special occasions. Today was such a day.

[​IMG]

10. GamaH

GamaH Well-Known Member

I *love* your "Tres Outlaws," "Stallion," and "Rios of Mercedes" boots.

11. jmonroestyle

jmonroestyle Senior member

12. Layered Player

Layered Player Senior member

Those are gorgeous!

My old man had a pair similar but the shaft was not 'gator.

He had a pair of sea turtle (they werent illegal at the time) like that though, brought the skins back from SE Asia himself. Should have seen the looks we got at customs.

13. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Wow, such a nice response requires a couple of additional pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Tri Tip

Tri Tip New Member

I really like this thread. Been in the rockabilly scene the last 20 years. In my opinion wear what you want and who cares what others think. I traded in my engineer boots for cowboy boots as I got older. I wear em every day. I also have a nice pair that I wear daily with suits for work. I'm in Southern California LA area, and they do get some stares. However, there are plenty of Hicks, Punks, Cowpunks and Rockabilly folks out here that understand style and you aint gotta be a cowboy in Texas to sport some. I really get bummed when I hear narrow opinions that only cowboys should wear cowboy boots. With that argument bikers shouldn't wear engineer boots, greasers too for that mater. After all when the first engineer boot was made it wasn't intended for bikers was it? Heaven forbid somebody wears a Pea Coat who aint in the Navy! Anyway I look forward to the cite!

Wear these everyday.
    [​IMG]

15. OCULUS

OCULUS Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    I haven't been to this site in ages (but I'm still registered, Thx). Have never been to this page, but am tickled to see that it exists. Over the past several years (and several trips out west) I have become something of a collector of boots and am glad to find a place where I can indulge my interests with people who won't holler sumpin stupid.

Was particularly glad to see some JB Hills above. They really rank as my favorites; I have a new custom pair of anteaters--yup you read that right--in production right now. I just happened to ask Diana if they had any skins? Yup, I got the last pair, (cognac) and they are small, so I am only getting "triad" cuts, but they are going to be a lot of fun with some special trimming; She's already said she wants to photograph and show them directly to Dr. Jim before they leave the factory.

For openers, here's my first pair of custom JBH's "LaPluma" They are pictured with a vintage Churchill "Red River" from Neiman Marcus (via ePrey)

[​IMG]

These are horse uppers with (I think) kangaroo shafts. I saw them featured as their boot of the month and went right to work getting fitted for a pair (a story unto itself). I also have a pair of the shell cordovans shown above; very handsome, comfortable boots. Hope I can learn something here; nice to be back to Style.

Ray

16. OCULUS

OCULUS Well-Known Member

Wow! What a spectacular boot! How old?

17. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Willie Lusk died in the early 1970's, so I always considered these from the 1950's-60's.

18. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Love these boots, can you post additional views? Especially the toe box area.

Welcome to the thread, hope you post and comment often, I've been draggin this boat overland and welcome the help.:D

19. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Back in the early 1960's, Justin made a GREAT boot.

Sea Turtle in deep mahogany brown. Well matched skins.

Raised apron, Norwegian split-toe.

And if you look close, that raised apron extends to the heel counter!! Some bad-ass bootmaker back in the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pictures make it appear they are 11AAA sized, yet they are 9.5D and I wear them often.:slayer:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  20. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

And pictures showing Mr. Lusk's skill as a bootmaker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]