• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy boots-are they back

marc37

Reaction score
O.k; but those boots have a round toe, not a pointed toe.
anklesmoothgatcog.jpg
l know ropers have a different finish at the end of the boot (leg part) but they are close enough to ropers; um, what name distinguishes a pointed toe ankle boot to a round toe ankle boot? Here are some of the best cowboy boots l have seen. lt's a pity the company wasn't renowned for high quality boots.
cowboy-boots-2.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
O.k; but those boots have a round toe, not a pointed toe.
anklesmoothgatcog.jpg
l know ropers have a different finish at the end of the boot (leg part) but they are close enough to ropers; um, what name distinguishes a pointed toe ankle boot to a round toe ankle boot?
The toe of that boot that you pictured may not be pointy enough to force you to wear gloves when you touch it, but it's not rounded. The roper that I pictured has a real rounded toe. There are four things that characterize a roper: a relatively short top, a blunt toe, a walking heel, and the absence of a toe rose. Your boot has a relatively short top and no toe rose (since it's crocodile), but it fails on the toe shape and the heel shape. It's a mutant cowboy boot. BTW, a boot doesn't have to have high tops to be a cowboy boot. This peewee boot (that's what you call them when the tops are low) from Rocketbuster is very much a cowboy boot:
BlackShorty.jpg

marc37

Reaction score
Jcusey: what's a toe rose old son? P.S: that red and black peewee boot looks thoroughly foul.
tounge.gif
Where did the boot get the name peewee from?

Brian SD

Reaction score
I like pointed ankle boots without tooling or embroidery, similar to those pictured in marc's signature.

I have a pair of Costume Nationals that I got on YOOX for about... $65 I think, and they are by and large the most complimented article of clothing and/or accessory in my wardrobe.

shoefan

Reaction score
A toe rose (aka toe bug) is a stitched decoration on the top of the toe box, sort of akin to the perf'ed medallion on a cap-toe or wing-tip shoe.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jcusey: what's a toe rose old son? P.S: that red and black peewee boot looks thoroughly foul.
tounge.gif
Where did the boot get the name peewee from?
The toe stitching on this boot is a toe rose:
alamo_1802_168846730.jpg
Peewee is American slang meaning small. If you don't like those peewee boots, perhaps you would like these:
PatosShorty2.jpg
And if you like neither, perhaps you would like these Lucchese hornback alligator top and bottom boots:
alamo_1802_169814155.jpg

marc37

Reaction score
Man; they are totally awsome ankle boots, gonna have to get a pair made up like that. As for horn backs, don't even get me started. Hornbacks absolutely and totally rule m8. They are the mint. P.S: l always hassle fellas to make hornbacks but they refuse to do them: too hard to make they claim. ;>

styleguy

Reaction score
I continue to see quite the resurgence in cowboy boots...traditional, or the ankle-boot variety.

Zappos.com has a HUGE collection of boots......and I CONTINUE to search for DSquared2's version of the cowboy boot.

Anyone care to share what they're seeing/wearing in cowboy boots....or boots styled similarly?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and I CONTINUE to search for DSquared2's version of the cowboy boot.

I'm pretty sure that Riccardi on Newbury Streets in Boston has it. It looks more like a motorcycle boot to me though, if we are talking about the same boot. Do you have a picture/link to a picture?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Cowboy boots - are they back? Well considering how many times this thread has been revived, I'm going to say that the answer is yes. I don't know that a thread on, say, "monocles - are they back?" would be revived so many times. Even those of you who don't like cowboy boots must have to admit that there is something cool about them for this thread to keep popping back up. Bradford
biggrin.gif

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know that a thread on, say, "monocles - are they back?" would be revived so many times. Bradford Â
biggrin.gif
I believe there are certain dandies who would disagree. Take, for example, a certain Mr. Peanut.

cloud9eleet

Reaction score
JW Cooper has a store in the Time Warner Center in NYC. They have some pretty wild looking boots, reminds me of the boots the character "Budd" (Michael Madsen) would wear in Kill Bill. Leather cowboy boots in black with red leather flames, etc.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In case anyone is interested, Shepler's has a boot sale going on (approximately 10% off), including exotic skins like hornback and stingray: http://www.sheplers.com/. I personally find Shepler's rather pricey, so their sale is almost certainly not the best price you can find.

sashae

Reaction score
Huh, I really dig these, but I question whether or not I'd look like an idiot wearing them. Fun, regardless.
034299r87_000.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads