Cowboy boots-are they back

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mram65, Apr 9, 2002.

1. marc37

marc37 Senior member

O.k; but those boots have a round toe, not a pointed toe. [​IMG] l know ropers have a different finish at the end of the boot (leg part) but they are close enough to ropers; um, what name distinguishes a pointed toe ankle boot to a round toe ankle boot? Here are some of the best cowboy boots l have seen. lt's a pity the company wasn't renowned for high quality boots. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

The toe of that boot that you pictured may not be pointy enough to force you to wear gloves when you touch it, but it's not rounded. The roper that I pictured has a real rounded toe. There are four things that characterize a roper: a relatively short top, a blunt toe, a walking heel, and the absence of a toe rose. Your boot has a relatively short top and no toe rose (since it's crocodile), but it fails on the toe shape and the heel shape. It's a mutant cowboy boot. BTW, a boot doesn't have to have high tops to be a cowboy boot. This peewee boot (that's what you call them when the tops are low) from Rocketbuster is very much a cowboy boot: [​IMG]

3. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Jcusey: what's a toe rose old son? P.S: that red and black peewee boot looks thoroughly foul. [​IMG] Where did the boot get the name peewee from?

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I like pointed ankle boots without tooling or embroidery, similar to those pictured in marc's signature.

I have a pair of Costume Nationals that I got on YOOX for about... $65 I think, and they are by and large the most complimented article of clothing and/or accessory in my wardrobe.

5. shoefan

shoefan Senior member

A toe rose (aka toe bug) is a stitched decoration on the top of the toe box, sort of akin to the perf'ed medallion on a cap-toe or wing-tip shoe.

6. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

The toe stitching on this boot is a toe rose: [​IMG] Peewee is American slang meaning small. If you don't like those peewee boots, perhaps you would like these: [​IMG] And if you like neither, perhaps you would like these Lucchese hornback alligator top and bottom boots: [​IMG]

7. jrh

jrh Well-Known Member

8. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Man; they are totally awsome ankle boots, gonna have to get a pair made up like that. As for horn backs, don't even get me started. Hornbacks absolutely and totally rule m8. They are the mint. P.S: l always hassle fellas to make hornbacks but they refuse to do them: too hard to make they claim. ;>

9. styleguy

styleguy Member

I continue to see quite the resurgence in cowboy boots...traditional, or the ankle-boot variety.

Zappos.com has a HUGE collection of boots......and I CONTINUE to search for DSquared2's version of the cowboy boot.

Anyone care to share what they're seeing/wearing in cowboy boots....or boots styled similarly?

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'm pretty sure that Riccardi on Newbury Streets in Boston has it. It looks more like a motorcycle boot to me though, if we are talking about the same boot. Do you have a picture/link to a picture?

11. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Cowboy boots - are they back? Well considering how many times this thread has been revived, I'm going to say that the answer is yes. I don't know that a thread on, say, "monocles - are they back?" would be revived so many times. Even those of you who don't like cowboy boots must have to admit that there is something cool about them for this thread to keep popping back up. Bradford [​IMG]

12. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I believe there are certain dandies who would disagree. Take, for example, a certain Mr. Peanut.

13. cloud9eleet

cloud9eleet Senior member

JW Cooper has a store in the Time Warner Center in NYC. They have some pretty wild looking boots, reminds me of the boots the character "Budd" (Michael Madsen) would wear in Kill Bill. Leather cowboy boots in black with red leather flames, etc.

14. thinman

thinman Senior member

In case anyone is interested, Shepler's has a boot sale going on (approximately 10% off), including exotic skins like hornback and stingray: http://www.sheplers.com/. I personally find Shepler's rather pricey, so their sale is almost certainly not the best price you can find.

15. sashae

sashae Senior member

Huh, I really dig these, but I question whether or not I'd look like an idiot wearing them. Fun, regardless. [​IMG]