Cowboy boots-are they back

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mram65, Apr 9, 2002.

1. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sounds great. Who made them?

I'm still waiting patiently for my elephant boots...

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

As I'm sure you were wondering, black dress boots and a tuxedo are not particularly uncommon in Texas.  Call it the rich southern businessman look or even unsophisticated, if you want.  They're unlikely to notice.  I do enjoy pairing my bespoke tuxedo with an elegant pair of Luccheses.

Regards,

dan
    NYC by way of Texas

3. agent.5

agent.5 Well-Known Member

Jcusey,

who is the maker of that black/red boot and the bird feather (I forget what the bird is called) boot?

Oops: I found it: rocketbuster boots.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I meant the tucking in of the pants to the boots. I don't see anything wrong with black dress boots with a tuxedo in an appropriate context. I just don't think it's very presidential (or gubernatorial or whatever at the time) to tuck formal pants into boots.

5. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

If he did this, I'm sure he did it as a joke.

I do recall reading an article about W wearing a pair of hand-tooled boots with (I believe) American flags on them. I think he wore them to a dinner at the White House with Margaret Thatcher when his father was President. In that case, he may have tucked them in briefly to show the design to Mrs. Thatcher and the other members of the party, but W is too much of a Texan to walk around with them like that for an entire evening.

Bradford

6. styleguy

styleguy Member

Gentlemen....although it's been a while, I wanted to point out that once again, cowboy boots are everywhere.

Each week, Kian on "Queer Eye" sports at least a pair or two.

Jonathan Antin, of Bravo's BLOW OUT, wears an incredibly hot pair each week, as does one of his stylists.....and they're in a fashion capital...Beverly Hills.

Even this years houseguests on BIG BROTHER 5 are wearing cowboy boots, and I'm not talking about the "cowboy", either.

I'm glad to see this true, traditional American style come back......to me, NOTHING makes a guy look better than a crisply starched shirt, tight jeans, and black lizard cowboy boots...a GREAT casual look and it definitely beats sneakers.

7. marc37

marc37 Senior member

l don't know about you'all but i'm not going to start talking about my main obsession: cowboy boots. l could talk for hours about cowboy boots, l love them to death. That's why my signiture is as such. A hornback a day keeps the doctor away. Cowboy boots are always in. They totally rule m8. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. justlurkingthanks

justlurkingthanks Senior member

Real cowboy boots -- with the pointed toe and slanted heel -- will always look like an affectation outside a rodeo. I prefer the roper style -- rounded toe, straight heel -- because I'm not a cowboy (BTW, I don't know why that's called a roper considering you would want the tall, slanted heel to dig in after roping something).

And, Marc, as they would tell you in Texas -- Them's ain't cowboy boots.

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

No Marc, not cowboy boots. Those are mutant chelsea boots, crawled straight out some designer's drug addled mind. Pretty interesting though, for a little while. Wouldn't spend that much on them though. They'll be five minutes ago right about... now.

10. LA Guy

Beverly Hills is not the coolest place in L.A., by far. It's just full of rich people, which is very different thing altogether. Check out the Silverlake district, Third Street in West L.A., the reviving area near Hollywood and Vine, especially, and the Downtown core for a real L.A. feel. Check out Santa Monica (and not the promenade) for a more laidback feel and Venice for pure SoCal kitcsh. If you want to see tourists from Idaho and posers, go to the strip - which is fun in it's own right.

11. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

I've come to the conclusion that LA as a whole is uncool. I went to the downtown Standard last night, which was a relief from the strip and Hollywood/Vine scene. I can't stand it here anymore. I'll be back to NYC soon enough though.

12. LA Guy

MikeC,

Go to west 3rd St. during the day and to SilverLake for the evening. And if you want to get down, check out the Dragonfly. Careful about pissing off the homies though. Seriously, give no attitude, and don't be getting up on some guy's girl.

13. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I'd have to agree with you that them ain't cowboy boots. Â I also feel compelled to clarify the purpose of ropers. Â The lower heel is for running (and roping) within an arena or corral. Â I don't care what kind of heel you have on your boots, but digging it in ain't gonna' stop you from being dragged all over by whatever you've managed to snag. Â Commonly, larger animals are either roped such that they're brought down (catch two legs) or roped while riding so your mount can assist. "Real cowboy boots" or dress boots evolved from riding boots. Â The pointed toe is for easier insertion into stirrups and the underslung heel helps to maintain a foothold in the stirrups. I would disagree with the affectation bit, but to each his own. Regards, dan NYC by way of Texas 3 pairs of affected boots [​IMG]

14. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Hey: don't get me wrong, l don't mean the gucci ankle boots [in the picture]. l mean luchese boots etc. P.S: l love ropers as well. Here is a roper that l am having made at the moment [​IMG] Here are cowboy boots. [​IMG] Ropers again. [​IMG]

15. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Those aren't ropers. They have pointed toes and high, underslung heels. They're cowboy boots that have had the tops chopped off. These are ropers: [​IMG]