• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Covid accelerated dress code de-formalization - true or false?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was taught to write properly, and still wrote all my essays and exams by hand as an undergraduate. But since then, computers have done for me, and my writing is astonishingly bad - like a demented spider.
Same for me. And being an architect, I also had a beautiful block print.

And after getting to know the designer Joyce Conwy Evans -- who did not believe in using a straight edge -- I could draw smaller projects freehand. I did for a project in Godalming. Those days are over.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
On the subject of penmanship and "polluting the world with bad aesthetics," I'm usually one for "live and let live," but Jack Lew's signature on US currency when he was Secretary of Treasury was -- whew

a_560x375.jpeg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On the subject of penmanship and "polluting the world with bad aesthetics," I'm usually one for "live and let live," but Jack Lew's signature on US currency when he was Secretary of Treasury was -- whew

View attachment 1661263
Otherwise known as Loop de Lew.

driving glove

Reaction score
I have to raise my hand in favour of CM in an Arts and Crafts home (even though we live in a mid-century modern bungalow). Not a better look than a tweed balmacaan and ancient madder scarf hanging against quartersawn ammonia-fumed white oak panelling, while the sunlight streams through mullioned windows, with a touch of Moorcroft pottery hither and yon.
Apologies for being a few pages late in this discusssion....

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And after getting to know the designer Joyce Conwy Evans -- who did not believe in using a straight edge -- I could draw smaller projects freehand. I did for a project in Godalming. Those days are over.

also brought up on arch lettering , can still muster if need be !

but , my personal writing looks like its coded . i've long since abandoned cursive .

cd's aside (cad) i go freehand , even if over a lightly constructed draft

Reactions: RSS

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My wife was trained as an architect (In Japan) and still does write unbelievably neatly in both English and Japanese. Luckily, my son seems to have inherited her writing talents and not my demented spider script.

Hellbent

Reaction score
Funny thing is that the hardest script I tried to learn was the capitalis monumentalis, from the column of Trajan. It looks so simple, but is terribly difficult to get right.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

driving glove

Reaction score
Did you grow up with it? I recall you were from the South. My paternal grandfather had a nice Stickley-style desk in quartersawn oak that I grew up with and now have the pleasure of owning.
Currently spending tailoring money on having "laurel leaf" copper shingles hammered to roof the asian-style front gate to our home (tenuous reference to clothing before this side-bar gets booted to the Home Ownership thread!).
Tie-in to general discussion is that appreciation for aesthetics seems to cut across many subjects with the members here: watches, art, clothing, Concordia yawls, writing, architecture, leaky old British cars and bikes, gardens (Gertrude Jekyll garden in Godalming, I believe). This forum is filled with rabbit-holes!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads