• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Covid accelerated dress code de-formalization - true or false?

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Women who attracted to slobs and sloppily dressed is not new. If you want to swim in that pool you sure to catch something...due to XXXL size of the group.
Chrome 22'' inch wheels and lights under your car might also attract some large contingency if you are into that type. So if your destiny is a numbers game def. go for it.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think in general, niche wardrobe choices are not, by themselves, going to attract women. I say that in terms of CM as well as SW&D, because I don't think $300 selvedge or the latest Engineered Garments fit is any more likely to attract women than wearing a well tailored suit.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Women who attracted to slobs and sloppily dressed is not new. If you want to swim in that pool you sure to catch something...due to XXXL size of the group.
Chrome 22'' inch wheels and lights under your car might also attract some large contingency if you are into that type. So if your destiny is a numbers game def. go for it.

Comments like this are always made by guys who wear walnut-colored shoes with dad jeans and some orphaned Kiton suit jacket.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gather from the direction this thread has taken that Covid never really happened, at least from the perspective of how we dress, as some of the arguments and points being made would have been just as valid 2-3 years ago. Perhaps even 600 years ago. I’m sure on some Welsh village back then Blacksmith’s apprentice Llewelyn was wondering if the buckle on his shoe was on trend and if the dairy maids would find him attractive.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me when I was teleworking for 6 months I didn't dress well, half the time I didn't dress and my most used shoe was a slipper. The only reason I haven't gone back to trousers is almost none fit and I refuse to get new ones.

Almost no one where's a jacket at my work and only a few wear a tie. I stopped wearing my sportscoats as I got tired of the comments/questions.

Mirage-

Reaction score
8p40zlb6wg0z.png

By the way, the best thing about this is they clearly didn't get the memo that white lists are much better than black lists, as all software engineers know. Their dress code is literally *not* a dress code.
While I would also love to be able to globally ban hoodies under jackets (please SuitSupply and Gagliardi stylists, stop it), apparently they don't have a clear rule against wearing one *over* a jacket, provided that it's not short-sleeved ofc.
Also, they seem to really hate workwear with a passion.

AX2007

Reaction score
This entire thread reminds me of the controversy, accusations of racism, the all together **** show and the eventual closure of Bottled Blonde in Chicago.

The “restaurant”, I use that term in quotes as it was more a bar and nightclub, opened in 2015 and closed in 2020. Not because of Covid, mind you. The closing had been in the offing for some time due to lawsuits and complaints about noise, rowdy behavior inside and out and basically a menace to the neighborhood it was in, and given that it was in Chicago’s river north area, that’s saying something.

They really pissed a lot of people off and brought down upon themselves accusations of racism when they posted this dress code:

8p40zlb6wg0z.png

my favorite part is the comment about “classy” and a “high standard” of dress. I can tell you that having been in there once for dinner there was little to indicate that it was either classy or they adhered to any particular standard of dress.

These dress codes are somewhat meaningless though in this case they were more a punchline.

All this from a place named "Bottled Blonde"?

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That dress code scroll is not racist against the patrons, but it is definitely racist against the owners who authored that imbecilic drivel.

pomor

Reaction score
Watch this video and notice the way people are dressed, this is very recent, from London. You will see some business type looking people after-hours going to get a beer with friends. This is a Friday night, so definitely not a Monday morning type attire, but I have gained some insights just by watching people.

pomor

Reaction score
Before you ask me what insights these might be - you can tell people are preoccupied with themselves, nobody really cares anymore how they're dressed AND how they're seen in public. You can tell men definitely have let themselves go. Some women who are still in that age where they should care, still care - kind of. But most people now dress for comfort.

I fear there's more athleisure clothing on the way to usher in this brave new World. Perhaps I should buy stock in Crocs and Lululemon

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Before you ask me what insights these might be - you can tell people are preoccupied with themselves, nobody really cares anymore how they're dressed AND how they're seen in public. You can tell men definitely have let themselves go. Some women who are still in that age where they should care, still care - kind of. But most people now dress for comfort.

I fear there's more athleisure clothing on the way to usher in this brave new World. Perhaps I should buy stock in Crocs and Lululemon

I can't sit through 24 minutes of someone just walking down the street. So I just skipped around. Most people definitely dress for comfort and convenience, but I think a lot of CM guys assume that just because someone isn't communicating in their exact dress language, they don't care about how they dress. Some people are highly attuned to clothes and are as intentional about their dress as guys who obsess over Milanese buttonholes. They are just dressing according to a different subcultural language.

When you read about different dress cultures, you'll see that people are very specific about certain sneakers, leather jackets, the patches on a jacket, the right cut of jeans, etc. All these things are very nuanced. They just may not be in a language that someone else understands (and it may not be for that audience, just as much of what's discussed here has no real imprint on the masses).

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't sit through 24 minutes of someone just walking down the street. So I just skipped around. Most people definitely dress for comfort and convenience, but I think a lot of CM guys assume that just because someone isn't communicating in their exact dress language, they don't care about how they dress. Some people are highly attuned to clothes and are as intentional about their dress as guys who obsess over Milanese buttonholes. They are just dressing according to a different subcultural language.

When you read about different dress cultures, you'll see that people are very specific about certain sneakers, leather jackets, the patches on a jacket, the right cut of jeans, etc. All these things are very nuanced. They just may not be in a language that someone else understands (and it may not be for that audience, just as much of what's discussed here has no real imprint on the masses).

What percentage of people would you estimate truly care how they dress (regardless of whether that’s CM, SWD or whatever dress culture you want to include)?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What percentage of people would you estimate truly care how they dress (regardless of whether that’s CM, SWD or whatever dress culture you want to include)?

Can't imagine putting a meaningful number on that. I imagine it varies by region, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads