• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Covert Fashion aka Fashionable Concealed Carry Menswear

stimulacra

Reaction score
Been seeing a lot of articles talking about more and more menswear that are designed for concealed carry weapons but still allow the wearer to be presentable and somewhat fashionable.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/24/us/fashion-statement-is-clear-the-gun-isnt.html

Was wondering what SF thought about these new additions to the scene. Seems to be a nice alternative to the whole 5.11 Tactical look most handgun guys favor.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you have a CCW permit, nobody should know that you're carrying or you're doing it wrong. Also, custom holster makers have been around forever - be prepared to wait and drop big bucks. *ETA* you can get pretty much any leather and trim you want: stingray, ostrich, cordovan, etc.

Last edited:

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have my permit, but have a full size 1911. I can hardly ever carry mine because all my **** is so fitted.

LMAO too funny on the last paragraph:

“They should dress for the gun,” he said he advised his customers. “Not for the fashion.”

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah full sized 1911's are undoable for me IWB and a CCW is pretty impossible to obtain where I live anyway. Dmash should check out the EMP or a bobbed commander.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got a few but these two are my favorite:

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hellz yeah, niiiice.

Old man has a a Colt Combat Elite that shoots smooth as butter.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have my permit, but have a full size 1911. I can hardly ever carry mine because all my **** is so fitted.
LMAO too funny on the last paragraph:
“They should dress for the gun,” he said he advised his customers. “Not for the fashion.”

I wouldn't laugh because the fact is you might have to change your fashion a bit to make carrying concealed work. Trying to carry a full sized pistol concealed while wearing tight fitting clothes is nearly impossible. The real solution is to get a much smaller gun and a good holster setup. I can carry a Sig 238 while wearing tight jeans and a button down shirt tucked and you won't see the gun unless you really know what to look for. It's a deep concealment IWB setup. Of course drawing it quick isn't going to happen. Another option is the right gun and a good back pocket holster. No one will think anything about the bulge at all. It'll print like a wallet, is fast to draw with some practice and gives the appearance of complance if you end up in a shitstorm. Want my wallet? OK here it is... A good belt slide holster with a smaller gun is easily concealed under an untucked shirt as long as it isn't too tight.

I have an extremely small handgun that I can conceal with nothing on but a pair of running shorts.

Your instructor should have told you that you choose a gun for concealed carry with the intent to always have it on your person. Heed that advice because the day you need it you don't want to be without it.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had my 1911 before I got my permit, didn't buy it for concealed carry.

I've definitely pondered getting a smaller gun though for sure. I sort feel naked without my gun.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the EMP in 9mm (the .40 has a rather heavy barrel), especially if you want to keep 1911 ergos. It's definitely not a true pocket gun though.

If I lived in Florida... oh the class 3 goodies...

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had my 1911 before I got my permit, didn't buy it for concealed carry.
I've definitely pondered getting a smaller gun though for sure. I sort feel naked without my gun.

There's plenty of good ones out there. Go to some shops and handle a few and if possible shoot them. Talk to people and do some research about function etc. Take your time about it and find one that works for you, is simple to operate and has a really good track record as far as reliability is concerned. After you buy it, run it through it's paces and get familiar with it. Make sure to run it with the defense ammo you choose to carry as well. A friend of mine ran his auto with some decent ball ammo and then loaded up his mags with some good PD ammo and went on his way. When he finally got around to firing it with his preferred ammo the gun jammed on the first shot and every shot thereafter. Good thing he didn't need it before he found this out.

I'm a fan of the EMP in 9mm (the .40 has a rather heavy barrel), especially if you want to keep 1911 ergos. It's definitely not a true pocket gun though.
If I lived in Florida... oh the class 3 goodies...

The Sig 238 is the updated Colt Mustang. Basically a baby 1911.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the issues with me is that I have fairly small hands and can't do double stack.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
men's wearhouse has you guys covered:

george-zimmerman-bail-hearing-getty.jpg

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Once again, and unsurprisingly, it's the people who have the least experience with firearms who need to chime in and dub people as "insane" or gun nuts. Total ignorance based on stereotypes, fear, misconceptions, etc. At least people like GT come from a place of knowledge when contributing. The rest look like they're talking out of their pc assholes.

That said, have no idea why anyone would want to carry a full-size unless that was the only gun in their collection. To me, it'd feel like carrying a K-BAR as a daily carry.

The chinos don't look awful, considering all the tactical looking stuff I've been used to seeing at gun shows. Like Crane said, though, if I had to CCW then I'd pick the right gun/holster over the the right clothing. I'd much rather carry a Glock 26/36 then go shopping for the right kinda pants or jacket. That's probably the real reason the kind of clothing Woolrich is doing now has been such a small market in the past.

Last edited:

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I'm actually looking at a 26 or a Springfield XD Sub-Compact in 9mm as my carry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics