• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Couple questions

banksmiranda

Reaction score
First question: what do you think of the Johnny collar found on some shirts instead of a v-neck or traditional polo shirt closure?

Second: what is a good source of 100% cotton camouflage shorts and pants?

Third: Today I saw Diesel jeans for the first time in a couple years. I am interested in the Ranan model.
For years I've bought mostly Gap jeans, of which my favorite is the "worker jean."
I haven't looked at Levi for some time. I have a couple pairs of jeans from Express Men(formerly Structure) which I'm reasonably happy with. What is Earl Jean like? How about jeans by Paper Denim Cloth, Helmut Lang, Marc Jacobs or Dolce & Gabbana? Are Seven jeans only made for women?
Ultimately I like straight slanted front pockets(not curved), a comfortable fit (roomy but not too baggy) and straight leg(not tapered). I do not like jeans that are faded, ripped, etc.
Which brands (don't necessarily have to be from those listed above) would you recommend I look at, and specifically which models?

justlurkingthanks

Reaction score
One: Johnny collars: queer.
Two: Camo. You should be provided your gear when you start basic training.
Three: You can't ever go wrong with Levi's 501s. The other stuff is pretend.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
banks,

On camo, can't help you; designers have been using it a lot, I think, though I dunno about lately. If you want the real mccoy, hit up an army/navy surplus store (I don't know where you live, if it's not US, that won't be helpful).
On jeans, there are some denim experts here who will worthily chime in. Sounds to me like you have more specific tastes than you may think.

First, the slant pockets you mention are a "worker jean" or carpenter pant feature, and won't be on a lot of traditional jeans in traditional watches without additional features, like hammer loop and pockets on the legs. I haven't seen the diesel model you mentioned; they may have the funky pockets you seek, but their washes/whiskering/etc. are usually severe.

My favorite pair of jeans is my diesel "kratt" that I've had for over three years. The wash is simple indigo, and the cut is perfect for me. Straight leg, not baggy, but comfortable. It's difficult to find a "clean" or - excuse me everyone - "dressy" pair of jeans since the artificial destruction look came back. Bluefly always has a decent selection of jeans, I'd check them out for pics of what you'd like (though it's tough to tell fit).

As for brands, a lot of people swear by PD&C, but I'm not tall enough to wear them at 5'9", most have artificial creases that aren't in the right places on me.

I have a pair of Sevens I just got that I like, but they have some "dirt" to them.

Designers have crazy washes/damage, and they all have very different ideas of sizing. Also, if you're not quite slim, most of them are out.

justlurking is right about 501's, and levis in general. They're insexpensive and pretty reliable, and will have normal colors/cuts.

I'd also recommend Banana Republic, since you mentioned Gap. Their stuff is updated, but not overly trendy, for the most part. Also, they're cut for normal people, and the prices aren't as outrageous (though more than Gap).

For the pockets you like, how about Carhartt's canvas pants? They have some nifty pants, and they're tough. They aren't very dressed up, though, and I think their denim is tame.

I'd recommend doing a search on the forum too. There's a lot of denim-philes here who have more info one specific brands than I do.

That's a lot more typing than I planned on doing.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
I have gotten a lot of compliments from the ladies as well (although this may be due to my sexy physique- no guarantees that this will happen for you too
biggrin.gif
I'll see what I can find on Ebay. Â Do the Diesel company stores ever have good sales? Â I do wear jeans a lot, so like you said, it may be worth a good (hefty?) investment.
First, the slant pockets you mention are a "worker jean" or carpenter pant feature, and won't be on a lot of traditional jeans in traditional watches without additional features, like hammer loop and pockets on the legs. I haven't seen the diesel model you mentioned; they may have the funky pockets you seek, but their washes/whiskering/etc. are usually severe.
Yes, I've usually seen the slant pocket on Worker jeans, Carpenter jeans and Mechanic jeans by Gap. Â I'd like to avoid the hammer loop(something I suppose I could cut off without too much difficulty) and pockets on the legs as well(which aren't quite as easy to remove - partially because the area under the pocket on the pant leg is darker than the pocket, especially on jeans that are faded/blasted, etc. Â Any reccommendations based on this? Â Maybe I need to go bespoke. Â
wink.gif
As for brands, a lot of people swear by PD&C, but I'm not tall enough to wear them at 5'9"
That's a problem for me - I'm 5'8". Â Remember ajboys' recent post on PDC jeans? Â He found a cache at (I think) Marshalls - I think he said that the vast majority had a 34" inseam, but that he saw a few 32" models.
I have a pair of Sevens I just got that I like, but they have some "dirt" to them.
The Seven web site seems to be down now. Â Can I see the men's models online elsewhere, and are you able to tell me which stores carry them?
Designers have crazy washes/damage, and they all have very different ideas of sizing. Also, if you're not quite slim, most of them are out.
Hmm...I'm a pretty solidly-built ~170 lbs. Â Advice based on this?
justlurking is right about 501's, and levis in general. They're insexpensive and pretty reliable, and will have normal colors/cuts.
I should probably take a look at Levi in addition to all the rest we've mentioned here. Â It's been years, and sometimes the basic time-tested-and-true stuff is just fine.
For the pockets you like, how about Carhartt's canvas pants? They have some nifty pants, and they're tough. They aren't very dressed up, though, and I think their denim is tame.
Funny you mention Carhartt - I grew up in rural Illinois in a small agricultural and manufacturing town where Carhartt is a popular garment. Â They are tough, and I've seen some decent deals on Carhartt on Sierra Trading Post.

justlurkingthanks

Reaction score
Carhartt is indeed rockin stuff. The standard brown duck Detroit jacket is an American icon that I am grateful has not been picked up by the fashionistas, although the barn coats have been. The pants are the real deal, too -- good for working, hiking and all that. But I reserve the pants for hard wear because that's what they are meant for. It fits in with my view that items like Timberland work boots, cowboy boots, carpenter pants are an affectation outside their original purposes. Just like buying a gas-drunk Hummer for commuting to work is conspicuous in its absurdity.

And, Mr. Guy, sorry to have offended your sensibilities.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just bought paper denem jean .. the most lovly looking jean I ever bought. It fits much better than any other jean label I ever tried.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paper Denim Icons (ICN) in a most conservative wash (I like the Clone wash, which has some, but not a lot) of distressing. They have slash pockets and distinctive squared off back pockets. The cut is a relaxed bootcut. My go to jean (although I like th GTO style just as well.) Be aware that Paper Denims fit rather large, and because of the soft denim, will also stretch with wearing.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow .. LA guy,
the one i bought was really sung fit all around. its boot cut.. it looked liked bell-bottom so i did not like it when my sale/fashion coordinator personal showed me .. But when I tried on .. man .. it looked fantastic.. it hugs my tigh and cavles very nicely .. it feels tight .. but from the look .. its just right...

marc37

Reaction score
After having many pairs of D&G jeans l would recommend you don't buy them. Some are quite comfy but most are not. They look nice though. Too overpriced. My recent pair were around $500. l am hunting for a different brand of jeans now.

Versace can make a very comfy jean [sometimes]. Cheaper than D&G and Gucci.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics