• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Couple of Shoe Problems

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have a pair of shoes that I believe I've broken in well (a few hours a week for the last ~4 months). When I walk it's very uncomfortable and sometimes even painful. The pain is knee pain I was going to be insoles but wasn't sure if it would make a difference. Any tips? They're rubber-soled if it makes a difference. Also, the leather seems really stiff. The shoes are corrected grain, but other CG shoes I've had haven't been this stiff.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
They don't fit. End thread.

I got measured before being given the shoe so I don't think that's it. They have a finger's room in the back and a little extra in front of the toes like I've read around here. Is that not right?

ns7

Reaction score
Where does it hurt? A cobbler may be able to stretch the shoe or provide an insert that helps solve the problem.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ns7
Where does it hurt?

laugh.gif

really they just dont fit sorry man but i think youre out of luck

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's more to a shoe fitting that just length and width. There's no magic spell that makes an uncomfortable shoe suddenly comfortable.
So you think it may be a problem with the particular last on this shoe if it's sized correctly?

Originally Posted by ns7
Where does it hurt? A cobbler may be able to stretch the shoe or provide an insert that helps solve the problem.
It hurts my knee when I walk; my feet are actually not bothered. I've tried wearing thick socks and it hasn't done much. I'm thinking the sole is more the culprit than the uppers.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
So you think it may be a problem with the particular last on this shoe if it's sized correctly?

It hurts my knee when I walk; my feet are actually not bothered. I've tried wearing thick socks and it hasn't done much. I'm thinking the sole is more the culprit than the uppers.

Strange. Sounds like the sole. Maybe just move on and go with a different pair.

Claus

Reaction score
Badly made shoes can also cause pain.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your knee? That's something important to point out from the beginning. I don't know anything about that. Probably a podiatrist would be best to answer your question.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Claus
Badly made shoes can also cause pain.

They don't fit. End thread.

this and this.

i can go to a store blindly and put on size 12 shoes and say they dont fit and hurt.
or i can go to a store with pants measurements of thigh and knee and waist and they wont fit.
you got to go with actual fit feel and wear.

i can go to the store and put on correctly fitted cole haan shoes but i will have to see a podiatrist at the end of the day.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your knee? That's something important to point out from the beginning. I don't know anything about that. Probably a podiatrist would be best to answer your question.

That's what I was thinking, but was curious if any SFers had experience in resolving knee pain that comes with certain shoes.

Originally Posted by sho'nuff
this and this.

i can go to a store blindly and put on size 12 shoes and say they dont fit and hurt.
or i can go to a store with pants measurements of thigh and knee and waist and they wont fit.
you got to go with actual fit feel and wear.

i can go to the store and put on correctly fitted cole haan shoes but i will have to see a podiatrist at the end of the day.

I guess I was confused when people said they don't fit versus they're not the right fit. Big difference imo.

Anybody [especially with knee problems] know of shoes that don't aggravate your knee once you break them in?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score

Anybody [especially with knee problems] know of shoes that don't aggravate your knee once you break them in?

wow this is better answered in some medical forum site on joint support and so forth, not in a sf forum. i think your issue as you may already know, is more than just the shoes. i would ask a doctor

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads