Couple of Questions regarding recent Brioni Purchase

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by amirrorcrackd, May 6, 2006.

1. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8413853833

First off, was it worth it?

Second, how should I expect this jacket to fit compared to Fashion designer suiting (Helmut Lang, Jil Sander, etc.) as opposed ot suiting suiting, cause that's all I know.

Thanks,

Dan

2. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

Is it in good shape? Does it fit you? If not, can it economically be made to fit you? Do you like the color on you?

If all this is a yes, than it is a smashing deal. Most used Brioni sport jackets will go for $150-250 with a few years of use. And this one looks to be a style from the last 10 years or so. But if it is serviceable and properly introduces you to Brioni, than you did good!

Interesting point: I find that I wear my Ebay Brioni's far more than my Brioni's bought at retail since I am always afraid that I will spill something on my clothes and I wouldn't want to do that on a jacket I paid $3500 for or a suit that cost me $5500. Yet on a jacket I paid $300 for or a suit I paid $600 for I worry not at all. So the retail stuff I reserve for that special event of only a few hours duration and where no smoking or drinking will occur. And that severely limits their usefulness.

However with the rampant fraud and proliferation of Con-persons on Ebay it is getting to be less and less of a fun marketplace. (Enough about that as a sister thread is discussing that right now.)

Perry

3. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

thanks for the response. I haven't received it yet, so we'll see if it fits.

Dan

4. weeks

weeks Senior member

Interesting point: I find that I wear my Ebay Brioni's far more than my Brioni's bought at retail since I am always afraid that I will spill something on my clothes and I wouldn't want to do that on a jacket I paid $3500 for or a suit that cost me $5500. Yet on a jacket I paid $300 for or a suit I paid $600 for I worry not at all. So the retail stuff I reserve for that special event of only a few hours duration and where no smoking or drinking will occur. And that severely limits their usefulness.

I find the same thing. However, you can take a zero off of the numbers. My "nice" suits were like $300-$400, while suits I found at thrift or ebay for $15-50 plus alterations are the suits I don't worry about so much. Nonethess, the point is the same. When you spend a large portion of your expendable income on one article of clothing, it is hard to not worry about ruining it. Conversely, something that was less is expensive is almost more useful, since you don't have to worry about ruining it.

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Yes, I fight the same urge. I'm all the time 'saving' my best stuff--but for what? Obviously if you're going to be in a risky situation for your clothing you keep back the Brioni, but still I've got the things to wear!