• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Country Music Appreciation Thread

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got to pay more attention to concerts in Atlanta...just found out I missed Junior Brown about a month ago...

frown.gif

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dub miller
harris ryden
ray wylie hubbard
fred eaglesmith
bruce robison
bob wills
brian burns
guy clark
stephanie urbina jones
hoyt axton
gary p nunn
conway twitty
just a few

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Would make sweet passionate love with her. At least twice.

+ many

Originally Posted by Brian278
Highly partial to Neko Case To a lesser extent, Ryan Adams, Wilco, and Jenny Lewis. The standard more indie-ish stuff. Also artists that aren't really alt-country but incorporate some elements here and there, M. Ward, etc. Can't claim to be into what are probably the "real" alt-country bands that are going to be rattled off here.

Ironically, I actively hate 99% of all popular country, i.e. Kenny Chesney, Alan Jackson, Jason Aldean, etc....it's some of the most derivative, corny **** I've ever heard in my life.

+1, esp. your second statement.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Ironically, I actively hate 99% of all popular country, i.e. Kenny Chesney, Alan Jackson, Jason Aldean, etc....it's some of the most derivative, corny **** I've ever heard in my life.

I agree with you here, with the exception of Alan J. His stuff is pure (neo) traditional country music. Pop country is a musical abomination, and most of the stuff on the radio now is pop country, but I can't fathom including Alan Jackson in that category.

I got some DBT love.

Decoration Day and Dirty South are alt-country masterpieces. I wish Isbell would rejoin the band so they would start playing the songs he wrote again. I never get to hear most of my favorite DBT songs live because they won't play the stuff he wrote.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got to pay more attention to concerts in Atlanta...just found out I missed Junior Brown about a month ago...

frown.gif

I saw him open for Alan Jackson once. That was an awesome show. Junior was just insane to watch on the steel guitar.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
I agree with you here, with the exception of Alan J. His stuff is pure (neo) traditional country music. Pop country is a musical abomination, and most of the stuff on the radio now is pop country, but I can't fathom including Alan Jackson in that category.

Where were you...when they built the ladder to heaven?

I like Carrie Underwood.

Not her music.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
dub miller
harris ryden
ray wylie hubbard
fred eaglesmith
bruce robison -1
bob wills
brian burns
guy clark
stephanie urbina jones
hoyt axton +1
gary p nunn
conway twitty
just a few

+1 on Texas Tornadoes

-10000000 on Alan Jackson

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Get this song off iTunes, such a great one done in the studio.

Really sums up Country ethos.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rockabilly anyone?

Get Smart really digs western swing, and I think rockabilly.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Can early Little Feat be considered country music?

+1 on the pop country hate.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man I love me some country. Grew up listening to great old country (and a little modern)
Emmy Lou Harris
loretta lynn,
Dolly Parton
Hank Williams, Jr.,
Johnny Cash,
George Jones,
Willie Nelson,
Hoyt Axton
Dwight Yokoam
Ernest Tubb
and so on... Really there are so many great old country acts, its hard to list them all.

In the realm of country rockabilly Rhonda Jackson and Link Ray come to mind.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How could I forget the Derailers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads