• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Country lawyer"

bobbyd

Reaction score
I work outside of Nashville, Tennessee as an attorney typically handling domestic and other civil matters. I've noticed that I have probabley seen more attorneys wearing 2 different color shoes (true story) than I have Lobb's or AE's.
I don't know if there is anyone else in the same line of work in the same type of community(s), but was curious if any have any sartorial advice for such scenarios? I have a few off-the-rack suits, some Brooks Brothers ties and some Vineyard Vine ties, and a pair of Gucci loafers and AE's.
Perhaps I'm naive, but I get the sense that if one dresses too "flashy" in the courtrooms I work in, the result would be either a) no one would care or notice or b) the judge would think I'm some "city slicker" and rule against my client if at all reasonable.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flashy is one thing. Really well put together with conservative, yet well-made clothes is yet another. I would think an Oxxford suit in a dark tone with a well-fitting dress shirt and a striped, rep-style tie from, say Barbera or Borrelli would be an example of the latter, and would work really well for such a setting.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is funny, but I would have thought the Gucci loafers a no-no for a country lawyer. I travel the country and have visited courthouses outside of the big cities and the east coast. A conservative, but well-made suit, (Oxxford, Hickey, or Samuelsohn), quality shirts, striped ties, and Alden, AE, or conservative english captoes will serve you nicely. Although everyone does it, I would avoid the slip ons with the suit.

Coel Hen

Reaction score
bobbyd,

As a retired lawyer myself, and having been a trial lawyer, your points about treading gently on sartorial matters in a rural courthouse or even a federal court in a major city in a southern state are very well taken.

While I was doing jury trials, the key was to look decent, but not flashy. This had nothing to do with ego, but rather the necessity of deflecting attention from the client, particularly in a criminal rather than civil case because so much is at stake. Furthermore, when a person is much better dressed than the jury, the consensus can be adverse, particularly if they tend to think that lawyers are overpaid, even if you are not trying to be ostentatious.

Still, keeping this in mind, I think that one should generally appear before the jury in a suit, though for motion dockets before a judge, as well as meeting clients in the office, a sport coat and trousers are fine with a tie and shirt. I recall doing this simply because in a small town one never knows on a given day whether you will be called to court for an appearance. On casual Fridays, jeans and boots have been seen, but the coat and tie remain out here, so at least have them handy in your office to throw on in a hurry.

On the other hand, one wants to come over to clients as competent and capable, rather than shabby and desperate for business, so it is important to try to find a happy medium to attempt to build a wardrobe. It should be noted that in a largely office practice, such as tax, requiring fewer court appearances, for example, the rules below could be relaxed to a degree.

Suits. Starting with this, I would recommend you will need at least two mainstays: a gray and blue. Both should be dark, the blue a chalkstripe, the gray a herringbone. Generally two button, perhaps with a vest in the dead of winter, though one must be very careful with this. Watch chains are a bit dated, but certainly acceptable if you are a partner with gray hair, anything of that type on a young lawyer is considered pretentious. Beyond that, stay with the theme, but nothing with the patterns so flashy as to overwhelm the outfit. Unless practicing in New Orleans, I would not attempt a white Terry & Juden, though you could look around Nashville and Memphis and your local bar to see if a blue stripe seersucker suit is worn.

Shirts. White, light blue, tan, burgundy stripe, blue stripe, and other light pastels. For my taste, no tattersall, as this is too casual. Personally, points are my preference, rather than button down, though the latter are definitely seen quite frequently. Short sleeves are out forever. Cuffs of the barrel are always subdued and acceptable, while you can pull off French cuffs only with tasteful links.

Shoes. Brown and black. Oxford cap toe in black. Half brogue in dark brown. Lace ups are the way to go, projecting a more serious image than tassle loafers or something of that type. White is out: unless in New Orleans.

Braces. Definitely. But belts are acceptable in brown or black. This is the one bit of flashy clothing that I have seen, but only because it can be completely hidden under the coat: unless it is 1925 in Tennesse and you are named Darrow or Bryan and you are sweating it out due to lack of air conditioning, then, if the judge permits, you may remove the jacket.

Ties. Again, solids work well, as do patterns sufficiently fine to be not gaudy or loud. Silk, of course, is required. A four-in-hand or half Windsor are my favorites, with a full Windsor being a tough thing to pull off well. Have seen bow ties, but it must suit you, and not appear affected. Though I would never dream of wearing one in front of a jury. Perhaps a non-court day if you feel compelled to venture into the unknown.

Socks. Required. I try to keep them dark. 100% Cotton for me. Silk can be ok, though the ones I had in black tended to be sheer, and a bit hard to fit.

Jewelry and accessories. I saw people with the omnipresent wedding ring on one hand and the class ring on the other. Warning: stay clear of anybody with the gold ring with diamonds in the shape of a gushing oil well. Went out after 1982 and Penn Square Bank failure. A white linen handkerchief is always acceptable. Generally, the patterned silks must be approached with a bit of caution for day wear, though acceptable after work in the evening for a bar or other function.

Hats. A panama roll-up with optimo crown is fine. We also see cowboy hats with boots and the other attire mentioned for suits in my part of the country.

Getting down to it: I see absolutely no problem with your shirts, trousers, sport jackets, ties and suits being custom made or made to measure. Remember, while they may be dressy for some workers, for lawyers they are a "uniform". I would hesitate to wear bespoke suits, however, outside a major city in the US in courts. It just looks out of place. Were I in New York and could afford it, then I would do it. Clearly, everything must fit, be immaculately maintained, and the shoes shined. Now there is nothing at all to be ashamed of if there is a reasonable amount of wear, though being threadbare is unacceptable.

Best of luck in your endeavors,

CH

bobbyd

Reaction score
Cole Hen, thanks for the suggestions. In some of the courthouses I've been, they just took out the spitoons 10 or so years ago.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had the impression that country lawyers wore white three-pieces and hooked their thumbs in their vests while carrying a small fan.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I had the impression that country lawyers wore white three-pieces and hooked their thumbs in their vests while carrying a small fan.
Ah, yes, you could always go Southern Trad:
peck1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads