• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Could you help me learn about my new (used) AEs?

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked these up on Ebay for a steal. The description was very poor and basically only said the size, brand, and color. The shoes are in dire need of a good cleaning or refinishing, but they were only $25 and fit my foot like a glove! They're a ton better than those square-toed Clarks I've been wearing... So here are 3 very crappy pictures. The first one does not show the color of the shoe well at all, they're actually a very dark brown. Does anyone have an idea of what this model would be? They look just like the Cambridge but I doubt these are shell cordovan. I suppose they cold be the McAllister from the classics collection.
AE3.jpg
This shows the sole of the shoe, obviously (and a better representation of the color up there at the top). What does the "FR" stamp mean? Factory reconditioned? Factory rejects? Nothing?
AE4.jpg
Here is what's on the inside of the shoe. What does the "COMB." mean? Was this a combination leather/rubber sole at some point? Which last is this on?
AE5.jpg
Thanks for any help you can give me! If no one can figure it out I'll just get a hold of AE, but I thought you guys might enjoy the task. As a final, random question.. a local shoe repair shop carries Lexol leather conditioner. Is that a good product for these types of shoes?

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are McAllisters. On the 5 last. See the 6265 number? That indicates model, color, and last. 62 is the McAllister--compare to current McAllisters on the AE site, which are all 62_5), 6 is the color (possibly brown burnished calf), and 5 is the last. COMB indicates a combination last, as Shanghai said, which is usually narrower in the heel than in the ball. Alden's nomenclature would probably label these 11.5 A/C--C width in the ball, A width in the heel.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
They are McAllisters. On the 5 last. See the 6265 number? That indicates model, color, and last. 62 is the McAllister--compare to current McAllisters on the AE site, which are all 62_5), 6 is the color (possibly brown burnished calf), and 5 is the last. COMB indicates a combination last, as Shanghai said, which is usually narrower in the heel than in the ball. Alden's nomenclature would probably label these 11.5 A/C--C width in the ball, A width in the heel.
wow, that's interesting, thanks for all of the information! is there a website that shows all of the model and color codes like that?

Ed Sullivan

Reaction score
You're already one step ahead of the game if you've found the AE 5 last fits like a glove. Other shoes on that last include the Strand, Fifth Ave, and almost essential Park Avenue.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call or email Allen Edmonds & inquire about the numbers inside if you are unsure as to whether they are calf leather or corrected grain leather.

If they are calf, they should clean up nicely.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the info, guys.
I've emailed Allen Edmonds to get more specific info on this shoe, especially the type of leather used.
I'm about to run to the store to get some leather conditioner to give these puppies a little life. Hopefully I can also get the years of built-up polish off of them.. these shoes have that great RIDER "antiqued" look to them, but I'd rather they not be 10 different shades of brown/black.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
thanks for all the info, guys.
I've emailed Allen Edmonds to get more specific info on this shoe, especially the type of leather used.
I'm about to run to the store to get some leather conditioner to give these puppies a little life. Hopefully I can also get the years of built-up polish off of them.. these shoes have that great RIDER "antiqued" look to them, but I'd rather they not be 10 different shades of brown/black.

The shades of brown/black give it a nice character and I think it'll be hard to remove. You could send it back to AE for reconditioning and get a virtually new shoe back.

Excellent deal
worship.gif
- good price, good shape and good fit, a highly desirable combination.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to think this particular pair may be corrected grain. I also just got a pair of Lexingtons and the leather is a lot softer and less shiny, whereas these are harder and seem to almost have a glaze on them. They also have big scuffs where the color is obviously removed from the leather.
I'll wait for AE's response to my question.

is "burnished calf" the same as corrected grain?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
As a final, random question.. a local shoe repair shop carries Lexol leather conditioner. Is that a good product for these types of shoes?

Yes, i repaired a pair of shoes that i managed to mess up with this conditioner, it puts kiwi conditioner to shame.

good stuff, just apply and let dry overnight.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Yes, i repaired a pair of shoes that i managed to mess up with this conditioner, it puts kiwi conditioner to shame.

good stuff, just apply and let dry overnight.

ah, overnight? I picked some up and put it on my shoes but removed it about 5 minutes later. I will be sure to do it for longer. it says on the bottle that it may darken lighter-colored leathers. has this been your experience?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i just let it sit overnight, but i'd imagine an hour or so would be plenty.

I noticed that if i tried to polish too quickly afterwards it gave it a glazed look.

I also use the one specifically made for light color shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads