• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Could I wear these?

Reaction score
...with a charcoal, herringbone business suit? What do you reckon?

lk-bryant-dk1.jpg

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BittersIceAndSugar

lk-bryant-dk1.jpg

Not really...

Conservative shoes will be better.

Reaction score
You think the style is too casual? Or the colour? How about these?

I'm hoping for something that will work with my charcoal business suit, but also jeans...

(yes this is my first time buying a business outfit
uhoh.gif
)

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm hoping for something that will work with my charcoal business suit, but also jeans...

uhoh.gif
)

I think the SF crowd here would tell you to stick with the 1880 line.

I have no experience with Loake, but from the picture, the Bromley looks pretty good and would work with a suit and jeans except in the most formal occasions (for the most part.)

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You shouldn't be wearing those shoes with anything.

The shape/style is better, but they're still cheap looking corrected-grain leather, you would do best to avoid.

jdldore

Reaction score
Depends on the cut of the suit, your age, the type of business you are in, and the types of clients with whom or which you interact. The shoes are, relatively speaking, fashion forward. If you are wearing a similarly fashion forward suit (noticeable shoulders, slim lapels, high button point, super high gorge, narrow trousers), the shoes will not look out of place. Of course, the ensemble will look better if you are a fit 27-year old than if you are a fat, bald 50-year old. Similarly, if you interact with clients at a conservative law firm or a conservative portion of a large, conservative company, you will have less rope than you would if you do the same at an an agency.

ktrp

Reaction score
Am I right in interpreting with loake's that burnished is not as 'corrected' as polished leather?

In that case, for sub 150, would these work?:
Loake Waterloo

We're assuming he really wants a lace up wingtip, as opposed to a somewhat less conservative but still acceptable brown shoe. Any thoughts on this monkstrap/wingtip?:
Loake Telford

I kind of like the ridiculously long design loake, though I prefer this one:
Loake shoes for visiting vegas

I have a soft spot for pimp shoes that is not shared by most in this forum. I might wear them to my bus-casual workplace, but not to meet a client
wink.gif

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum

The shape/style is better, but they're still cheap looking corrected-grain leather, you would do best to avoid.

This, again.

blackboard_knowledge

Reaction score

uhoh.gif
)

I feel that these shoes would best be paired with a six-button Steve Harvey suit.

Here's the thing, these shoes just scream discount shoe at DSW. I am not trying to sound elitist, but probably am going to no matter what, but anything that has a long extra wide toe box looks cheap.

Further, as this is your first business outfit, please stay away from wingtips or anything with wingtip-like impressions in the leather. They are difficult to polish around.

Remember, these are your main business shoes. Keep it simple with a brown cap toe shoe.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
Am I right in interpreting with loake's that burnished is not as 'corrected' as polished leather? In that case, for sub 150, would these work?: Loake Waterloo
I like those well enough but I thought I'd want a darker brown, being as they're to be worn with a charcoal suit? Having said that, they're not really going to be my 'main business shoes' as I only need them to go with a suit for a few job interviews. I'm still a student and won't be starting work until next autumn, at which point I'd happily buy something plain and black. But right now my existing leather shoes are worn out so I need new ones that I can wear out in the evenings with jeans. I can't afford to buy two pairs of shoes right now at such a price so I was hoping I could find one pair that would serve both functions adequately but perhaps that's not going to be possible. jdldore, I'm 21, hefty build I'd say. My suit is not a slim cut but is nipped in at the waist. Peaked lapels that I would call neither slim nor wide. Noticeable shoulders though. The companies I'll be interviewing with (accounting, professional services, management consultancy, IT, marketing) I would not say are ultra-conservative. When I've seen people who work for these companies they're often not wearing ties and have casual looking shoes/watches. Of course, I want to make a good impression so I'm not going to turn up without a tie just because they do!

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum

+1

+1 - You can find much better options on the B&S part of this forum. Best of luck

ktrp

Reaction score
The companies I'll be interviewing with (accounting, professional services, management consultancy, IT, marketing) I would not say are ultra-conservative. When I've seen people who work for these companies they're often not wearing ties and have casual looking shoes/watches. Of course, I want to make a good impression so I'm not going to turn up without a tie just because they do!

I'd always wear a suit to an interview regardless of how they dress. That said, I read in another thread here the suggestion of looking at a business' web page to see how people are dressed on it. That's how they present to clients and that's how they expect you to be able to dress.

People where jeans some of the time where I work, and you can show up in shorts during a summer heatwave. Client meeting? Better have a grey or blue suit on. And that's what would be right in an interview.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads