• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Could buy them somewhere but prefer to make them myself

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sun dried tomatoes. Buying them packaged they are leathery or need to be rehydrated and don't have as much flavor. Easy enough to make, requires no skills or special ingredients. Good way to utilize tomatoes before they go bad. Taste so much better than what I can buy. Great condiment for a salad, pasta or on a sandwich.

What else do you prefer to make yourself rather than buy?

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Sun dried tomatoes. Buying them packaged they are leathery or need to be rehydrated and don't have as much flavor. Easy enough to make, requires no skills or special ingredients. Good way to utilize tomatoes before they go bad. Taste so much better than what I can buy. Great condiment for a salad, pasta or on a sandwich.

Do you just leave them out in the sun? I prefer to make my own pizza dough. It only take a few minutes and I prefer it much more.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
simple syrup, grenadine.

I prefer to make my own chunky tomato sauce for pasta as well.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos

I make oven dried tomatoes. Mix olive oil, garlic, herbs du Provence, and salt. Slice tomatoes in half and place cut side up on a cookie sheet. Spoon a small amount of the mixture onto each tomato. Place into a 250-300 degree oven for 4-6 hours (maybe more or less depending on taste). Serve on salads or as a side with grilled meats, etc.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ are you exiled on Main Street?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red sauce. Secret's anchovies.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish
simple syrup, grenadine.
How do you make your grenadine?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Crystal meth. I just dont trust anyone elses. I know mines kitchen clean.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
How do you make your grenadine?
Take the membranes and stuff off two pomegranates' worth of seeds. Add a cup of water (I usually play this by ear, sometimes two cups if it's a lot of seeds) into a pot with the seeds. Let it simmer until all the juice is out, then strain out the shells/whatever. Then add however many cups of sugar (I like natural/cane sugar) as you added water, and let it all dissolve. Chill, and bottle. Tastes better than the Rose's I used before. Pretty easy to do also. If you're making your simple syrup you could make this at the same time.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish
Take the membranes and stuff off two pomegranates' worth of seeds. Add a cup of water (I usually play this by ear, sometimes two cups if it's a lot of seeds) into a pot with the seeds. Let it simmer until all the juice is out, then strain out the shells/whatever. Then add however many cups of sugar (I like natural/cane sugar) as you added water, and let it all dissolve. Chill, and bottle.
Why add water when you're going to boil it out? I used to boil, but now do freeze reduction. I've posted on an eGullet thread about this. My comments about freeze reduction are towards the end. Anyway, cheers on making grenadine at all. I just made up a batch yesterday.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Freeze reduction looks interesting. I'll try it out next time I make a batch. I'm also going to start experimenting with side flavors too. Vanilla seems like a good place to start.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads