1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Could brown be a new black?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JohnnyBoyDC, Mar 6, 2002.

1. JohnnyBoyDC

JohnnyBoyDC New Member

Stating upfront, there can really be no true replacement for black, which has become a standard color in our wardrobes.

I have have to point out that brown has managed to work its way into many least expected elements of style.

Could it be that brown may soon become a new sort of black? I don't ever believe that black will ever be replaced entirely, but isn't there a chance we'll continue to see a lot more brown in the future?

2. Jofaile

Jofaile Senior Member

I have always been a black-colour man, myself. I am, not often caught in anything brown. If it does not look incredibly good, I do not think it warrants a place on my person. So, I would have to say: "No, black is here to stay and brown is going away."

3. CT_madrigal

CT_madrigal New Member

Brown is terrible. I suggest a person to wear black. Brown makes you look like a puddle of dirty, slimy mud...

4. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior Member

I think we will be seeing more brown, but not enough for it to overtake black. Black will always be black (um, well I sound like Captain Obvious). But seriously, can you imagine brown tuxes? Bleh. While brown looks nice collaborated with tans and as an accessory (shoes and belts), black will remain on the top in the industry.

-CWS

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Stylish Dinosaur

I basically agree with the others. Brown has it's place in shoes and belts but not much else. Earth tones are nice for sweaters and some pants but i wouldn't build my whole wardrobe on brown heh.

6. Abe2

Abe2 Well-Known Member

Historically, brown a more common color than black. Designers have created beautiful brown garments and when properly combined with other earthy colors (e.g. gray, olive, khaki, burgundy, etc), can create a rich palette for some absolutely stunning outfits. Valentino has always loved brown and if you want to see brown at its best, check out his line. I have a brown wool two-button suit with subtle gold pinstripes that looks gorgeous, especially when worn with a gold tie to bring out the pinstripes. Also, John Varvatos has some great brown pieces.

7. Abe2

Abe2 Well-Known Member

8. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Distinguished Member

I might be pilloried based on the majority of posts in this therad so far but I'll admit I'm a fan of brown - especially rich dark browns. With so many men sticking to a 'black only' ideology for shoes etc. it's nice to mix it up a bit.

A pair of brown monks, a matching briefcase, a pair of tortoise-shell sunglasses and complemented by some lighter earth tones in the trousers... it's a look that has a certain nerdy chic to it.

Brown suits are a bit of a gamble though - I think brown works in a more casual, relaxed mode of dress, but for formality black will always have the edge on brown, no matter the shade.

9. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

10. countdemoney

countdemoney Distinguished Member

I've been on a brown binge of late. It's probably due for something of a comeback, but let's not go back to the nasty browns of the 70's.

11. embowafa

embowafa Distinguished Member

good god, this is an old thread.

12. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

13. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Distinguished Member

14. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Distinguished Member

Brown is terrible. I suggest a person to wear black. Brown makes you look like a puddle of dirty, slimy mud...
    You think of it as an agricultural colour?
    Brown suits are a bit of a gamble though - I think brown works in a more casual, relaxed mode of dress, but for formality black will always have the edge on brown, no matter the shade.
    Is a brown suit an acceptable business attire? In the city? Try to answer these questions, and brown may very well turn out to be the new black.

15. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

I thought for sure we were going to get the ernest post in this thread. A let down.

Interesting to see though how two of the original posters never went on to much of a career, while GQ, who must have made one of his first posts in this thread, went on to become, well, teh Geek.