• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coughing up tiny little chunks of stuff from the throat

lilcram

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to get them here and there but for the past year or so one builds up every three weeks or so. They are nasty and I hate them. They grow in the same spots only on one tonsil. I can even see the little indents where they grow. When they are big enough I take them off with a tooth brush (have not puked yet, but close). I used to try to remove them in the early stages but I would just end up gagging and cut up my mouth with the tooth brush.

I wish there was something that would get rid of these things forever.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lilcram
Tonsillectomy.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wish there was something that would get rid of these things forever.

Originally Posted by Listi
Tonsillectomy.

From a bit of research, apparently even that procedure might not rid you of them.

Have you analyzed your diet? I am almost certain that mine were coming from the bread I was eating almost every day at lunch from Subway.

Once I stopped, these nasty little chunks seemed to go away for the most part. Now I rarely see them.

bimmernate

Reaction score
as stated, my doc told me it was reflux.

ew

anyway, i lost some weight and changed my crappy diet i never get em anymore

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get it when I drink orange juice on a regular basis.

blackjack

Reaction score
I used to get them here and there but for the past year or so one builds up every three weeks or so. They are nasty and I hate them. They grow in the same spots only on one tonsil. I can even see the little indents where they grow. When they are big enough I take them off with a tooth brush (have not puked yet, but close). I used to try to remove them in the early stages but I would just end up gagging and cut up my mouth with the tooth brush.

You can try two things that might help:

1. Immediately after eating, try either brushing your teeth and gargling to make certain food particles don't become lodged in your tonsil area. If that is not possible, try just gargling or at minimum drinking something to help wash out the food particles.

gargle.jpg

2. Spend $50 on dental irrigator like a Waterpik Ultra Dental Water Jet to flush-out the pesky tonsil stones without gagging.

41ma5nqp2hlsl500aa280.jpg

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I've got a dental irrigator for you.
laugh.gif

Good one
happy.gif

kontai69

Reaction score
Yeah, I use to expel those chucks all the time when I was in my late teens, but they have gone away as I got older.

Originally Posted by blackjack
2. Spend $50 on dental irrigator like a Waterpik Ultra Dental Water Jet to flush-out the pesky tonsil stones without gagging.

From what I've read, you got to be really careful using those to flush out the chucks from the tonsil crypts. If you set the water pressure too high, you could tear the flesh of the tonsils and get bleeding. Yikes.

blackjack

Reaction score
I wasted a few hundred bucks listening to the advice of a quack dentist who was looking to supplement his billing. If not the Waterpik route but still want to keep from digging around there with Q-tips and other ****, the spray from a detachable shower head makes a decent substitute.

The first time I discovered the tonsil stones, I freaked out a bit. If broken between one's fingers, they really do smell like the worst kind of ass imaginable. I thought at first it must been some sign of cancer or infection until I looked it up.

Like the OP who indicated he thought it was the Subway bread, I was out in Asia and think somehow it was formed by grains of rice that must have gotten lodged in the crevices - there are a lot of Japanese with that same sort of "ass" breath... I'll bet anything they probably have tonsiliths. Still not 100% certain if there is any truth to that, but nevertheless at minimum I try and rinse and gargle after eating.

insomb

Reaction score
god those things are so disgusting, use hydrogen peroxide for mouthwash.

Edit: I think they come when you're not well hydrated and smoke like a chimney, at least that's my experience.

3eyes

Reaction score
I've had them every so often but can't figure out the cause.

darnelled

Reaction score
I get them sometimes too, but they are smaller. They seem to grow after I've eaten rice, nuts or something of similar consistency. They feels much larger than they are and can cause an odd, annoying sensation whe they are stuck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads