• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coughing up tiny little chunks of stuff from the throat

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever had this? It's like a pasty little whitish ball or chunk that is lodged into the tonsils or somewhere near there. I cough one up now and then. If I happen to catch one I notice that it smells absolutely awful. Like the worst thing you can imagine. You can mash it up with your fingers and then the smell gets even worse.

I spoke to a couple friends and they've seen these little things too. And they concur with the foul odor.

So what's the cause of this? I notice it more when I eat a lot of subway so I'm thinking it's bread maybe?

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happens to me from time to time. foul, foul stuff. No idea what the cause is. Google says: http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ing_curds.html "the tonsils shed oral mucosa, which lines the crypts of the tonsils. Normally, the dead cells are shed and swallowed. But, in some people, the dead cells stick around and accumulate, causing the little white balls to form in the crypts. This is what the odor-causing bacteria in the mouth like to feed on, hence the foul smell associated with it."

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i always thought it was feta cheese
eh.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
inserting a **** joke here would be too easy. but I believe they're just collected dirt, saliva, mucus, food particles stuck there the same way snot/booger is.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Inficius
I know what you're talking about, and I know there is an official name for it. I'll do a little research and post any updates.

EDIT: Here is it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith

By the way, I don't think I've ever had this.

Yeah that's got to be it. I'm betting the Subway has something to do with this. For a month or so I had them pretty frequently.

By the way, this is truly nasty:

800px-Tonsilloliths_20091119_prior_to_tonsillectomy.JPG

Inficius

Reaction score
I forgot to add that this topic is even more disgusting than the "blowing your nose" thread.
plain.gif

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add that this topic is even more disgusting than the "blowing your nose" thread.
plain.gif

Yeah but at least I know that I'm not the only one with this freakish crap coming out of the throat

I tried to see if I have any back there but the gag reflex is too powerful
snork[1].gif

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's the third stage of syphilis.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
plain.gif

hmmm... ok fine i did contribute to that thread...about blowing your nose.

ok here's my share: back in med school in my otolaryngology rotation (ENT) I was doing an exam on this kid and he had the tonsoliths going..... it was nice to actually visualize some for experience sake until the kid coughed one out into my facemask. the tonsolith got caught in my facemask and kinda broke up so the full putrid bouquet blossomed into my nose and mouth (yup i tasted the aspiration).

that wasn't the worst part... the kid ended up having the mumps and I contracted it... its ok through.. the asshole chief resident who laughed at me the whole time caught the mumps from the kid too...

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gargle mouthwash if you notice you've got one (it should be obvious) and you can usually choke it out. They're gross, they seem to go in cycles for me. I used to have them fairly often, haven't dealt with it for a few months though.

My gag reflex isn't too bad, I usually just press my tonsil and it will fall out.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
Gargle mouthwash if you notice you've got one (it should be obvious) and you can usually choke it out. They're gross, they seem to go in cycles for me. I used to have them fairly often, haven't dealt with it for a few months though.

My gag reflex isn't too bad, I usually just press my tonsil and it will fall out.

Wow. Have you found out what is causing the cycles? I really think for me it was the Subway bread. Although I can't be positive. I had them pretty bad for a month or so.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i had a few of these. You can pop them out like a zit. Havent had one in a while though. good to know im not alone.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ENT Doc says it is acid reflux. That certainly explains why Subway would cause it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads