• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Couch to 5K

GSquared

Reaction score
Started the couch to 5K program this week. Just finished week 1. I started with pretty much no stamina (insert funny comment here) and got out of breath really fast any time I started to run. So far so good, it's a jogging then walking program, and am looking to see some gains.

Anyone tried this? Had success? Any running tips?

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife started couch to 5k, and I "ran" with her for about 3 or 4 weeks. She quit the program, but was able to do standard, 1, 2 and three runs.

Basically, it's a great tool if you've never run or have a low level of cardiovascular fitness, but once you reach the level were you can run a mile non-stop, I don't think it's all that beneficial.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know what that program is, but my first race ever was a half marathon. I had probably never run more than 3 miles in a line in my life before and my GF was running the SF marathon, so I ran half of it with her. It's totally possible, just be prepared for pain like you've never felt before
smile.gif
5k if you're even midly healthy should be a cinch.

Logan

Reaction score
When I started running the first week or so was a bit painful, but once you get past 5k it's pretty easy to go until you fall over from either pain or exhaustion.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GSquared
Started the couch to 5K program this week. Just finished week 1. I started with pretty much no stamina (insert funny comment here) and got out of breath really fast any time I started to run. So far so good, it's a jogging then walking program, and am looking to see some gains. Anyone tried this? Had success? Any running tips?
post your runs on the How many miles did you run to day thread. Even if its not one mile yet, just joining a community of runners - even an online community helps a ton. I did the Nike+ walk to run program two years ago and have ran 2 half marathons, 3 10k, and 10+ 4mile races over the last two years. I qualified for the NYC this nov. those initial milestones (5K, 10K, ect) even when just doing training runs of things like 2miles really is an accomplishment.

GSquared

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
post your runs on the How many miles did you run to day thread. Even if its not one mile yet, just joining a community of runners - even an online community helps a ton.

I did the Nike+ walk to run program two years ago and have ran 2 half marathons, 3 10k, and 10+ 4mile races over the last two years.

I qualified for the NYC this nov.

those initial milestones (5K, 10K, ect) even when just doing training runs of things like 2miles really is an accomplishment.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll start there. Appreciate the info.

Exalt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GSquared
Started the couch to 5K program this week. Just finished week 1. I started with pretty much no stamina (insert funny comment here) and got out of breath really fast any time I started to run. So far so good, it's a jogging then walking program, and am looking to see some gains.

Anyone tried this? Had success? Any running tips?

I did the couch to 5k a few years ago. Definitely worked for me. Good luck!

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Public logging and setting a real goal with a timeline will make you successful.

So find a 5k when you are supposed to be done and sign up for it and tell everyone you are going to run the whole thing. And keep a log so you can see your progress.

Darron B

Reaction score
have never heard of the couch to 5k or nike+ walk to run program will have to google them. but have started to run every day. Have done it mainly to get fitter and loose weight. have started with 1mile (13.50 mins) and even that i couldnt do all in one go so was jog some walk some. managed to get it down to 12.45mins so am guite pleased with that. some people have taken the mick but hey i dont care it is a start, will post miles ran on "how many miles you ran today thread"

am 275 lbs at moment but have promised myself that if i can reach 196 lbs i will get myself an Armani suit, Not everyones cup of tea i know. Have always wanted to own one but have never been able to fit in to.
blush.gif

Darron

GSquared

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Darron B
have never heard of the couch to 5k or nike+ walk to run program will have to google them. but have started to run every day. Have done it mainly to get fitter and loose weight. have started with 1mile (13.50 mins) and even that i couldnt do all in one go so was jog some walk some. managed to get it down to 12.45mins so am guite pleased with that. some people have taken the mick but hey i dont care it is a start, will post miles ran on "how many miles you ran today thread"

am 275 lbs at moment but have promised myself that if i can reach 196 lbs i will get myself an Armani suit, Not everyones cup of tea i know. Have always wanted to own one but have never been able to fit in to.
blush.gif

Darron

Great goal. Look forward to seeing the post with you wearing that suit. I'm at 225ish and want to get down to 195. Game on.

cthip

Reaction score
tried them in the past, but always got bored/burned-out from running 3-4 times per week

last spring i did this

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cm...p?articleid=45

took a little more effort to get access to a bicycle and a swimming pool, but it was infinitely more fun and interesting and i was able to stay on the training plan until the end. entered my first race in october and finished in 1:40--five minutes better than my goal.

whatever training plan you choose--sign yourself up for a race or charity event around the time that you're scheduled to complete the plan. bonus points if you have a buddy or partner who will follow the same training plan with you. these are the two best things you can do to make sure that you meet your goal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads