Cotton vs. lightweight wool

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Recoil, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

I have a few cotton jackets and suits I've bought over the past few years and I really liked them. However, I'm finding even after one trip to a very good cry cleaner the fabric looks worn, its almost as it it developed a very fine white coating to some of the fibres. I have the utmost faith in this dry cleaner but its happened to a variety of brands. As a result, I'm thinking of going with lightweight wool in future. Cotton seems to have lost its lustre for me. Even unlined I find it heavier than some good lightweight wools, it wrinkles easier obviously and doesn't seem to last as long.

What are your thoughts on the the choice between these two? I don't care much for linen because I still want some structure to the jacket. This is for wearing to work.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

2. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

There is no doubt that lightweight wool will be more durable and resistent to wrinkling than cotton.

No matter how well taken care of, cotton jackets and suits will simply show wear sooner than wool. This does not mean that I don't love my unlined Isaia cotton blazers. But cuffs, edges, and wear points show sooner than they every would in wool.

When it comes to suits for the office, I'm a fan of lightweight wools. Although even they are not as durable as 'standard' wool suitings.

3. morrison13

morrison13 Well-Known Member

I do agree and when it comes to suits for office wear, wools are a must-have. for me.

4. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

Lightweight wool seems to be the way to go. Thanks folks.

5. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Take them to a dry cleaner next time !!

lol

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

6. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

Why dont you go for a wool/cotton combination?Holland and Sherry has some under their Nevada range though its a wool/cotton/linen combination.

7. Tropicalist

Tropicalist Senior member

Cotton and linen suits are casual. Fading, fraying and stretching adds to the patina of the suit and reflects your active lifestyle- much like a jeans looks the best a bit broken in. Khakhi or solaro suits look much better this way. Just don't wear them for business. Cotton suits are for hanging out.

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

9. jsanders65

jsanders65 Active Member

I still prefer wool for my suits and cotton for my shirts and other casual clothing specially now we're having a scorching hot summer. The heat is just too intense sometimes.