• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cotton jacket in the winter?

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, what do you all think about cotton jackets in the winter? I just bought an unstructured cotton jacket. I'd usually say summer; thing is, it's black. So, what do you think about it? How do you feel about wearing a black unstructured cotton jacket in December?

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorialism
So, what do you all think about cotton jackets in the winter? I just bought an unstructured cotton jacket. I'd usually say summer; thing is, it's black. So, what do you think about it? How do you feel about wearing a black unstructured cotton jacket in December?

How heavy is it? How cold is your climate? I could wear cotton in winter, since I live in New Orleans. I choose to wear the heavier stuff though...since it is impossible any time except Dec-Feb down here.

ON EDIT: I see you live in DC. I grew up there...it does get chilly.

Mike

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
How heavy is it? How cold is your climate? I could wear cotton in winter, since I live in New Orleans. I choose to wear the heavier stuff though...since it is impossible any time except Dec-Feb down here.

ON EDIT: I see you live in DC. I grew up there...it does get chilly.

Mike

It's very light"”it's unstructured. But it's black....

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is black a winter-only color? It is so shunned here that I rarely see it in any season....but perhaps save it for warmer days, or over a sweater?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then wear it on occasions where you would wear a black blazer, on days when the weight is appropriate. Not too hard. That kind of weather usually happens in spring or early fall- wear it then, or in summer when you have to wear a jacket and light colors would be inappropriate.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sounds like it's made for the summer, e.g. unlined, cotton, etc. However, wearing black in the heat is just going to make you hot, add to that you're wearing a jacket, and it doesn't make sense. Do you have a reciept? The only way I could see this working is wearing it at night in the summer when it's not too hot out.

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
It sounds like it's made for the summer, e.g. unlined, cotton, etc. However, wearing black in the heat is just going to make you hot, add to that you're wearing a jacket, and it doesn't make sense. Do you have a reciept? The only way I could see this working is wearing it at night in the summer when it's not too hot out.

It's not goin' nowhere! If nothing else, it can be worn summer evenings. it's pictured here. It's the black one pictured first. (The pictured blue one, with the four-button sleeve, is definitely all-year (I think). It's a much heavier cotton and construction...)

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

wear in the summer.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see why something must be restricted to a certain season. I say it can be worn whenever as long as you're not freezing your 'nads off or burning up in it. The fact that its light and unlined doesn't mean it's not suitable for cooler days when those characteristics can allow for layering, which can be very warm.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing my cotton overcoat up to this week. I wore a cotton blazer last week.

Cotton is too warm for summer wear around here. It's fine for fall and much of the winter. Or maybe early spring.

Axel Ferguson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
I've been wearing my cotton overcoat up to this week. I wore a cotton blazer last week.

Cotton is too warm for summer wear around here. It's fine for fall and much of the winter. Or maybe early spring.

Is there anything you would wear in summer then? Just wondering as I'm moving to a warmer climate, and I hate the thought of only being able to wear a jacket midwinter.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
During the height of summer it's 40+C during the day. You manage without a jacket those days. When it's cooler linen can be fine. Or for that matter light weight wool.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cotton Jacket works well in temps 45 - 75F. Unless you are resistant to cold or dont sweat buckets in temps over 80, I would consider the cotton jacket early spring - early summer wear (or fall as well).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads